Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Ah, the good old 'Fenian = Catholic' bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

KeithAFC wrote: »
    No different from the normal celtic away day with the up the RA, I I IRA, Huns this and that, Boys of the Old brigade and so on. Anti British, anti Protestant chants.

Ah FFS. Will this sh*t ever stop? You're flinging accusations at the Celtic support that's utter bollocks.
    Hun means a Rangers player or supporter. You might not like the word but it's nothing to do with religion. Any Rangers player would be a hun, including the Catholic players. Jock Stein was protestant and he doesn't get called one. Wonder why.

What anti protestant chants are there? Please enlighten me.

The boys of the old brigade is about the war of independence.
    The 'Up the Ra' lyrics in Celtic Symphony are what they are. I understand why you wouldn't like them fair enough but they are heard less now.

The record needs changing though. This argument is beyond tedious now. Sing what you want, I really don't care.

Bollocks, it simply doesn't wash that it's aimed at Rangers players/fans.
    You sing it at Hearts, Killie,... fans too.
    And don't give us that 'Ah, but they're Rangers fans without the bus fare' ****.

As for anti-Protestant songs stuff ?
    The 'soon there'll be no Protestants at all' add-on, for example.

The media needs to learn that Fenian doesn't equal Catholic.
    It's aimed at Celtic fans, not Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Well that is all right then

'We're up to our knees in Celtic fans blood
    Surrender or you'll die' !!

Well that is all right then

'We're up to our knees in Celtic fans blood
    Surrender or you'll die' !!

'And if you are a City fan, surrender or you'll die'
    'We're up to our knees in Hibee blood'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No different from the normal celtic away day with the up the RA, I I IRA, Huns this and that, Boys of the Old brigade and so on. Anti British, anti Protestant chants.

Ah, the good old hun=protestant bull****

Novo, Arteta, Gattuso, Albertz - All Catholics yet called huns...:rolleyes:

Dalglish, McGrain, Hesselink, Auld, McNeill, Stein - All protestants and never called huns.

Oh no, a naughty song about your rival, quick, lock them up!
    '

Well I suppose this guy was nearly up to his knees in a Celtic fans blood then :rolleyes: The difference here is that there are some Rangers fans who will act out the lyric
    A Schoolboy had his throat ripped open in a street attack as he walked home from a football match, a murder trial heard yesterday.
    Celtic fan Mark Scott, the son of a top Glasgow lawyer, died at the scene despite frantic attempts to save him.
    A seven-inch wound from his chin to his ear severed Mark's jugular vein and left a 26-yard trail of blood, the High Court in Glasgow was told.
    On trial is Jason Campbell, 23, of Heron Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Honestly, you's are all fecking mental!!!

Bollocks, it simply doesn't wash that it's aimed at Rangers players/fans.
    You sing it at Hearts, Killie,... fans too.
    And don't give us that 'Ah, but they're Rangers fans without the bus fare' ****.

As for anti-Protestant songs stuff ?
    The 'soon there'll be no Protestants at all' add-on, for example.

The word Hun would be used for Rangers. Hearts are known as the wee huns. I'm not sure where Kilmarnock fit in, Rangers in disguise?

I've never heard that add on to Celtic Symphony, that's not to say I'm doubting it. I wouldn't have any time for sh*te like. I'm not a fan of anything religious. Football should be free of it but it's not that simple.

Studying history, 'Fenian' was always used as a derogatory word for an Irish Republican. Can't say it offends me but in the past and present it's always been used in a wider context negatively towards the Irish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I have as much right as you to talk about Rangers.

:confused: Never said you didn't.
    Your not Rangers fan.

That's "you're" by the way. No, I'm not a Rangers fan (thank f**k), what's your point?
    The irony is hilarious, you could not make it up.

It sure it. Even funnier when certain people fail to see the irony right in front of them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because heaven forbid they stop singing it.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The word Hun would be used for Rangers. Hearts are known as the wee huns. I'm not sure where Kilmarnock fit in, Rangers in disguise?

I've never heard that add on to Celtic Symphony, that's not to say I'm doubting it. I wouldn't have any time for sh*te like. I'm not a fan of anything religious. Football should be free of it but it's not that simple.

Studying history, 'Fenian' was always used as a derogatory word for an Irish Republican. Can't say it offends me but in the past and present it's always been used in a wider context negatively towards the Irish.

Exactly, Fenian is around the same as Taig or Mick, i know a fella who played a schoolboys match at tynecastle a few years back and he was telling me the amount of times he was called a dirty fenian so and so taking throw ins and the like took the piss altogether. I recall a few years ago getting a bus tour of belfast and young lads throwing stones at it shouting "fenian bastards" when it passed through the shankill-none of us were wearing celtic jerseys but the bus had a southern reg.

Calling us Fenians is like calling Rangers fans dirty Prods or Orange bastards which is totally unacceptable. Hun on the other hand is equivalent to Tim, which we don't find that offensive at all really.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Honestly, you's are all fecking mental!!!

1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

spiralism wrote: »
    Ah, the good old hun=protestant bull****

Novo, Arteta, Gattuso, Albertz - All Catholics yet called huns...:rolleyes:

Dalglish, McGrain, Hesselink, Auld, McNeill, Stein - All protestants and never called huns.
    So why do you shout huns at Hearts fans? It is nonsense and you know it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

So why do you shout huns at Hearts fans? It is nonsense and you know it.

Last time I was at Celtic v Hearts, they did.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Last time I was at Celtic v Hearts, they did.
    Why though? If it is only aimed at Rangers fans?

I was interested Yes, as a SPL supporter,

You are a SPL supporter? Strange, I have never met one of them

It is true, I have yet to meet a supporter of the SPL

It is true, I have yet to meet a supporter of the SPL

Brewster..

• Advertisement

Well I suppose this guy was nearly up to his knees in a Celtic fans blood then :rolleyes: The difference here is that there are some Rangers fans who will act out the lyric

Tragic, but where did you read that this was done by a Rangers fan ?

spiralism: You DO know that 'Fenian' was first used by Irish Republicans, right ?

Well you firstly said I was obsessed lately with Rangers??? I was interested Yes, as a SPL supporter, I didn't see what was wrong with that, but you seemed to me being against expressing my views on it which you clearly did by having a pop at me over it for no reason other then I was not one of your Celtic Buddies.

No, you were referring to Celtic fans on here as being obsessed with Rangers, I was merely pointing out that you'd been here a fair bit yourself lately - even though you are rarely around on either the Celtic or Rangers thread normally.
    Comment number 2: Was there any need for the smart comment I highlighted in bold? Fair enough you don't like them. I'm sure the Rangers fans will lose hell lot of sleep over it. My point is you seem to think cause not Supporter of OF that im obsessed, or that's the way you came across and I even got a person agreeing with me on it from PM.

No need for my "thank f**k" comment, I just felt like including it. Don't give a f**k what the Rangers fans or you think about it.

I'll ask you, was there any need for the personal insult?
    The third one: well I am glad you realise how funny and foolish you looked, but glad you now know:)

Keep digging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Ah, the good old 'Fenian = Catholic' bull****.

Unfortunately I have personal experience in this area, but loyalists and just plain old scumbags, call catholics fenians, they are one and the same, the IRA and nationalists/catholics. Its that mentality which allowed David Healys family and pals in the UVF, red Hand Commandos etc to butcher innocent catholics and think they were fighting the IRA.

Fenian is a sectarian term, when I'm called it I generally just nod in agreement and say I am, messes with their heads.

Unfortunately I have personal experience in this area, but loyalists and just plain old scumbags, call catholics fenians, they are one and the same, the IRA and nationalists/catholics. Its that mentality which allowed David Healys family and pals in the UVF, red Hand Commandos etc to butcher innocent catholics and think they were fighting the IRA.

Fenian is a sectarian term, when I'm called it I generally just nod in agreement and say I am, messes with their heads.

So you're calling yourself a sectarian term ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No, you were referring to Celtic fans on here as being obsessed with Rangers, I was merely pointing out that you'd been here a fair bit yourself lately - even though you are rarely around on either the Celtic or Rangers thread normally.

No need for my "thank f**k" comment, I just felt like including it. Don't give a f**k what the Rangers fans or you think about it.

I'll ask you, was there any need for the personal insult?

Keep digging!

Im not normally in Celtic or Rangers thread? Why does that matter? Must you have a certain amount of posts or something to qualify to voice opinion or something? hmm interesting concept you made there.

Well glad you don't care what we think cause I sure did not care what you think, just found it childish being honest and showing more about who I am replying too im afraid.

Personal dig? Well in fairness you come on about me being obsessed about Rangers yet you post in here quite a bit yourself. If you can't get that funny concept into your head then don't think much point and we just leave it at that.

Keep digging? I will try, but you have gotten to the bottom well before me.you won at the point where you call me obsessed yet you posted in here more then me....
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Now I am going to delete the other posts that I have had in here and apoligise to Rangers fans in particular for bringing up this agrument.

I also want to apoligise to Rangers fans for posting some of the things I posted last night in administration thread.

However when someone wrongly accuses you of something and cant't prove it and twist the story to suit their argument I could only reply and got dragged into it. and to top it off when you post and prove something that they claim they never said only for them to come back with smart comments and twist things again then I should have left it at that.

Thanks for people who Pm saying I was spot on.

So you're calling yourself a sectarian term ?

Don't be obtuse mo chara, you are no fool, stop pretending that "fenian" isn't used as a catch all term for catholics by sectarian dregs in the north and Scotland.

When someone tries to insult you with a term like that, its helpful to disarm the insult.

Fenian has its roots in Irish republicanism, fenian rising, IRB etc, as I said labeling catholics fenians was the justification for pogroms and killings, it has no place at a football game imo.

Refusing to acknowledge the development and evolution of the word doest change its contemporary usage, its used as a sectarian insult towards catholics.

Do you think its acceptable to call some random person fenian scum? I've been called it, just because of my accent. Many years the Billy boys is sung outside catholic churches in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

ColeTrain wrote: »

I'm proud to be called a "Fenian"

Since you seem to be aware of the issues in NI then I'm sure you're familiar with KAH ?

Kinda debunks the myth that it's only aimed at Rangers fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

what complete horse ****. In belfast do you think when loyalists talked about killing fenians they were doing it just over football? You never hear hun mentioned outside of football. i.e amoruso and neil mccann both dirty huns, dalglish and stein are not. Paisley isnt a hun as he doesnt seem much into football whereas gregory campbell is. The fact ou try and bury head in sand over this shows why the cancer of a club will never try and solve its problems

Hun = tim
    fenian = orange
    celt = ger
    taig = prod

Id be interested to see you comparisons.

Don't be obtuse mo chara, you are no fool, stop pretending that "fenian" isn't used as a catch all term for catholics by sectarian dregs in the north and Scotland.

When someone tries to insult you with a term like that, its helpful to disarm the insult.

Fenian has its roots in Irish republicanism, fenian rising, IRB etc, as I said labeling catholics fenians was the justification for pogroms and killings, it has no place at a football game imo.

Refusing to acknowledge the development and evolution of the word doest change its contemporary usage, its used as a sectarian insult towards catholics.

Do you think its acceptable to call some random person fenian scum? I've been called it, just because of my accent. Many years the Billy boys is sung outside catholic churches in Belfast.

Saying that Fenian does not refer to Catholics is pure ignorance otherwise why is the Billy Boys banned?

Seems like UEFA, the SPL, the SFA, Scottish Police and even Rangers FC all think it's sectarian.

Since you seem to be aware of the issues in NI then I'm sure you're familiar with KAH ?

Kinda debunks the myth that it's only aimed at Rangers fans.

That aimed at me? I didnt say anything about Huns at all.

• Advertisement

Saying that Fenian does not refer to Catholics is pure ignorance otherwise why is the Billy Boys banned?

Seems like UEFA, the SPL, the SFA, Scottish Police and even Rangers FC all think it's sectarian.
    You never know Bobby, maybe some celtic fans are in the fenian brotherhood

This is pathetic stuff

Im not normally in Celtic or Rangers thread? Why does that matter? Must you have a certain amount of posts or something to qualify to voice opinion or something? hmm interesting concept you made there.

Well glad you don't care what we think cause I sure did not care what you think, just found it childish being honest and showing more about who I am replying too im afraid.

Personal dig? Well in fairness you come on about me being obsessed about Rangers yet you post in here quite a bit yourself. If you can't get that funny concept into your head then don't think much point and we just leave it at that.

Keep digging? I will try, but you have gotten to the bottom well before me.you won at the point where you call me obsessed yet you posted in here more then me....
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Now I am going to delete the other posts that I have had in here and apoligise to Rangers fans in particular for bringing up this agrument.

I also want to apoligise to Rangers fans for posting some of the things I posted last night in administration thread.

However when someone wrongly accuses you of something and cant't prove it and twist the story to suit their argument I could only reply and got dragged into it. and to top it off when you post and prove something that they claim they never said only for them to come back with smart comments and twist things again then I should have left it at that.

Thanks for people who Pm saying I was spot on.

We're going around in circles here. There's no point in going on as, in addition to you simply not understanding my point, you are putting words in my mouth.

Not quite sure what the ramblings in the second part of your post are about in any case.

That aimed at me? I didnt say anything about Huns at all.

No, more to those that keep claiming 'Hun' is aimed at Rangers fans only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We're going around in circles here. There's no point in going on as, in addition to you simply not understanding my point, you are putting words in my mouth.

Not quite sure what the ramblings in the second part of your post are about in any case.

I know well we are going around in circles. We were from very start, hence why I said it was hilarious.

Thank God it's over

Second part was not for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I think a lot of people wont find being called a Fenian itself offensive, and some actually accept it "paddy mccourts fenian army" etc. but its the fact that you go on about being "up to your knees in fenian blood" or whatever scummy way its phased, comes across the same as singing about being up to your knees in celtic fans blood. And that, incase you don't notice is offensive, and really does nothing to discourage the behavour that has led to the death of reamonn gormley and countless others

Old Gill wrote: »
    what complete horse ****. In belfast do you think when loyalists talked about killing fenians they were doing it just over football? You never hear hun mentioned outside of football. i.e amoruso and neil mccann both dirty huns, dalglish and stein are not. Paisley isnt a hun as he doesnt seem much into football whereas gregory campbell is. The fact ou try and bury head in sand over this shows why the cancer of a club will never try and solve its problems

Hun = tim
    fenian = orange
    celt = ger
    taig = prod

Id be interested to see you comparisons.

'You never hear hun mentioned outside of football'.

tumblr_l0hwhd4HJB1qayunz.jpg

Aye ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Can i just say that i find it absolutely disgusting and abhorrent that the murder of Mark Scott is being used, once again, as a point scoring device on a ****ing football forum.

The scumbags who commited that crime are simply that, scumbags.
    For anyone to compare the singing of a song to the murder of a 16 year old boy needs a serious reality check.

There are somewhere in the region of 70-100 murders each year in Glasgow, many of these acts of violence perpetrated by drunken, junkie scum who hold no value in life.

Simply because the filthy scottish media decided to hype this one up does not give anyone the excuse to belittle that lads death in order to get one over on someone on a football forum.

Do you really believe that anyone on here is posting with the intentions of going out and killing someone because of their football team?
    or do you really believe that because a section of the support sang TBB yesterday that any self respecting young catholic lad would do well to stay indoors for a couple of days while the bloodlust dies down?

I really am sick of this attitude that some of you have, that you devalue the life of a young lad who which was tragically cut short by a piece of scum into something that is copied and pasted in order to score a point on a forum.

Get a ****ing grip of yourselves.

I think a lot of people wont find being called a Fenian itself offensive, and some actually accept it "paddy mccourts fenian army" etc. but its the fact that you go on about being "up to your knees in fenian blood" or whatever scummy way its phased, comes across the same as singing about being up to your knees in celtic fans blood. And that, incase you don't notice is offensive, and really does nothing to discourage the behavour that has led to the death of reamonn gormley and countless others

Nobody is denying it's offensive, but offensive doesn't have to be sectarian.

Do you think its acceptable to chant "fenian bastard" etc or not? Or are you being obtuse in an effort to get people to make arguments so you can turn around and say one is as bad as another (hun) and should be banned as the same arguments apply?

Kill All Huns is a retarded emulation of the infamous "Kill All Taigs" which features on loyalist drums and was/is a popular graffitti scrawl. Thing is though that people did actually act on that slogan and killed people because of their religion.

FWIW I don't think hun is an acceptable term to use at a football game.

Is fenain a sectarian term? Yes, as people are called it, both in Scotland and in the north simply because of their (percieved or otherwise) religion, that is, catholicism. I dunno why you ignore this fact.

'You never hear hun mentioned outside of football'.

tumblr_l0hwhd4HJB1qayunz.jpg

Aye ok.
    Good post. It shows you it ain't about Rangers fans at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Good post. It shows you it ain't about Rangers fans at all.

No it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Nobody is denying it's offensive, but offensive doesn't have to be sectarian.
    That was my point, sectarian or not its still offensive

Outside of football I've heard Brit soldiers described as "huns", i.e savages like Atilla's Huns because of their brutality, so it is used outside football, but it's usage would be very limited. Certainly among younger people anyway.

No, more to those that keep claiming 'Hun' is aimed at Rangers fans only.

Hearts fans are referred to as "wee huns" because the way they get on is practically "diet rangers" anyways. I've hardly ever heard it used to refer to anyone other than a Rangers/Hearts fan, in the same way i've rarely heard Tim outside of football.

Seriously though, Kilmarnock and Dundee were chanting "go home you huns" in the past two Rangers home games, have they some sectarian IRA agenda now?

Hun is not a sectarian anti protestant term, unlike Rangers with an anti Catholic ethos for over a century, Celtic was always a club that was quite welcoming to protestant players and has had many a great protestant play for us. Therefore why would we be singing anti protestant songs? We sing about our history and our teams, ye sing about "no chapels to sadden my eyes, no nuns no priests and no rosary beads" That's the distinction. Hun is not a sectarian term - it is a derogatory term for the horrible anti-Catholic bigots that have become attached to Rangers and Hearts over the years

Hearts fans are referred to as "wee huns" because the way they get on is practically "diet rangers" anyways. I've hardly ever heard it used to refer to anyone other than a Rangers/Hearts fan, in the same way i've rarely heard Tim outside of football.

Seriously though, Kilmarnock and Dundee were chanting "go home you huns" in the past two Rangers home games, have they some sectarian IRA agenda now?

Hun is not a sectarian anti protestant term, unlike Rangers with an anti catholic ethos for over a century, Celtic was always a club that was quite welcoming to protestant players and has had many a great protestant play for us. Therefore why would we be singing anti protestant songs? We sing about our history and our teams, ye sing about "no chapels to sadden my eyes, no nuns no priests and no rosary beads" That's the distinction. Hun is not a sectarian term any more than it is a derogatory term for the horrible anti-catholic bigots that have become attached to Rangers and Hearts over the years

Keep telling yourself that, the picture I posted proves otherwise.

Care to explain why it's also sung at, for example, Motherwell ?
    Another one of those teams that are 'diet-Rangers' ?

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/530085/5/

If it's sectarian then why do ALL other SPL fans call you huns?

It does not prove **** all tbh. Where's the pic from? Could be fecking glasgow for all I know. Even if its from the North for example, how can it be definitely nothing to do with football? There is such thing as football graffiti..

It does not prove **** all tbh. Where's the pic from? Could be fecking glasgow for all I know. Even if its from the North for example, how can it be definitely nothing to do with football? There is such thing as football graffiti..

Springfield Road, Belfast.

But aye, keep telling yourself that, or maybe it was them big bad Rangers fans who dun it :cool:

Springfield Road, Belfast.

But aye, keep telling yourself that, or maybe it was them big bad Rangers fans who dun it :cool:

Funnily enough Belfast has a lot of Rangers and Celtic fans and there's murals about both teams there.. course it can be football related. Huns maybe even meaning the type of anti catholic bigot associated with Rangers

• Advertisement

Funnily enough Belfast has a lot of Rangers and Celtic fans and there's murals about both teams there.. course it can be football related. Huns maybe even meaning the type of anti catholic bigot associated with Rangers

Don't kid yourself on, just like 'KAT' the opposite response of 'KAH' isn't football related.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement