Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys in white suits in Newcastle

Options
  • 19-06-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I deleted the photo form my phone by accident, but saw some guys with white suits like they wear in labs walking around with some sort of detectors (long pole + backpack) throughout my neighbourhood last week. Any clue what they could have been doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

probably guys spraying weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

No, backpack was too small and they were walking all over the neighbourhood. They seemed confined to the sidewalk and road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ghostbusters?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Possibly methane detectors?

Was this near an area that was built on old landfill or peat bog?

Back in the late 80's I worked for a landfill research company and one of our contracts was to go around estates, warehouses etc that had been built on reclaimed land to ensure there was no significant methane production and if there was, advise on how to vent it. Several big companies actually harnessed it and fired generators from the methane.

The handheld probes, which were similar to your description, also doubled up as great fart detectors, much hilarity in the back of the van on the way to jobs!!!!!!:D

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

@Timfy! LOL!

Probe is the right word, they for sure weren't spraying anything. Methane or radon came to mind when I saw them.

• Advertisement

Strangely enough, I was also involved in the radiological industry as well (I look good in a white coat ;))... very unlikely to be radon. The detectors for this are small, standalone plastic items. No electronics involved (other than reading them back at the lab) and they are usually put in place for a reasonable length of time. Radon isn't a big deal outside, only in closed off areas such as basements and well sealed houses

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OK strange, I'll keep an eye out for these guys and confront them next time I see them. :P

Actually, I saw one of my neighbours talking with one of them, will ask him about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing strange about them at all they were spraying weeds, met them in Shantalla during the week and they wore the protective clothes because the weed killer can cause a rash on skin and not good to breathe the fumes either.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Nothing strange about them at all they were spraying weeds, met them in Shantalla during the week and they wore the protective clothes because the weed killer can cause a rash on skin and not good to breathe the fumes either.

Shame.... trust me when I say you havn't lived until you've farted into a methane detector!!! :D

Advertisement