Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Speech Therapy

Options
  • 19-06-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
    I would really love to apply for the 2 year masters in Speech therapy but my degree is in Fine Art. (2.1)
    I have been working as a special needs assistant in an early intervention unit for children with autism for the last three years. Naturally we have a lot of exposure to speech therapists in this line of work and I and am extremely interested in the area. This year I also began tutoring a boy with autism outside of school and in September I will be running an activity club for children with autism.

Though my work experience is relevant I basically want to know am I wasting my time applying, given my academic background?

Thanking you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

This year the requirements for the course were changed slightly to open it up to people with other types of degrees so if you have a good application with a good amount of work experience, which it sounds like you're definitely well on your way there with, you should be okay!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loucah

That's great news. I will do my best to prepare a good application, once I know there is at least a shred of hope!

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I'm hoping to apply for this course next year too. There is a few other threads here if you want to find more info, just go back through the old ones or search.

I don't think they would be outdated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 suzyslt

I am a SLT working for Down Syndrome Tipperary. If anyone is looking for experience I am runnning some summer speech and language camps. Previous students have found real benefit from intensive experience with children with Down Syndrome, looks good on uni applications too! Contact me on 0863278912 or findsuzys@hotmail.com

Susanna
    Senior SLT DOwn Syndrome Tipperary

Advertisement