Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDF merger programme won't work - jar problem?

• 19-06-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope someone can help me because this is driving me up the wall.

I found this free pdf merger programme which works fine when I click "Open" on my work PC (it's a 32 bit Windows 7 Professional using IE9):

http://messiahpsychoanalyst.org/Documents/Downloads.html#part1

The file name is pdfmergerSB545.jar.

Now when I try to open it on my laptop at home (64 bit Windows 7 Home using IE9) it just doesn't work.

I have both IE 32 and 64 and java for 32 and 64 installed. No matter what I use it just doesn't work at all. It even asked me what it should use to open the programme with but I thought jar files are linked to JRE? I even checked and reinstalled java again today but still no go.

Anyone who could help me here would be greatly appreciated. I am not really computer literate at all so simple steps would be great :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Hi,

.jar files should be associated with the file javaw.exe as far as I know. When it asks you what to open it with, try browsing to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Java\Bin\

javaw.exe should be in this folder. Select it and click open. There is a box you can check that says 'always use this program' that you can check if you want so you don't have to find javaw.exe every time. Let me know if this doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

try PDFSAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Razzuh wrote: »
    Hi,

.jar files should be associated with the file javaw.exe as far as I know. When it asks you what to open it with, try browsing to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Java\Bin\

javaw.exe should be in this folder. Select it and click open. There is a box you can check that says 'always use this program' that you can check if you want so you don't have to find javaw.exe every time. Let me know if this doesn't work.

I tried this but still doesn't work. It's weired. Tried it on an old Dell desktop with Windows XP and the thing works. I don't know what's so different to my laptop and my other gaming pc (which also doesn't work with this file) apart from both of them being 64 bit. :confused:

Overheal wrote: »
    try PDFSAM?

I did find that one before and used it and it looks fine. The only problem is I cannot resize with it. The file I mentioned in my first post has a great way of dealing with resizing documents etc.

I am mostly frustrated as I bought the laptop for research work abroad and it would suck if I cannot even operate this simple file on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Do you get an error message or does just nothing happen? Go to control panel and click add/remove programs and see if there are multiple copies of Java installed. The only one installed should be 'JRE 6 update 26'. If there are multiple copies of Java installed this can cause problems.

If there is only one Java installed, try this:

Click the windows/start button and in the search box (or click 'Run' in windows XP) type 'cmd' and hit enter. In the box that pops up type 'java' and hit enter. You will either get a pile of text that begins with "Usage: java [-options]" or you will get some error message. Let me know and I can give you something else to try depending on what you get.

• Advertisement

Razzuh wrote: »
    Do you get an error message or does just nothing happen? Go to control panel and click add/remove programs and see if there are multiple copies of Java installed. The only one installed should be 'JRE 6 update 26'. If there are multiple copies of Java installed this can cause problems.

If there is only one Java installed, try this:

Click the windows/start button and in the search box (or click 'Run' in windows XP) type 'cmd' and hit enter. In the box that pops up type 'java' and hit enter. You will either get a pile of text that begins with "Usage: java [-options]" or you will get some error message. Let me know and I can give you something else to try depending on what you get.

Thanks, yes, have JRE 6 update 26.

Will try what you said when I get home (don't have the laptop here). Thanks!

Sorry, wasn't able to get to the laptop last night. Other things happened and I was too busy. Will try it during the week and post the results.

Advertisement