Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people closing/deleting their accounts?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I assume this is the correct place for this?
    I've noticed that quite a few people have requested that their accounts be closed, seasoned poaters some of them as well:confused:
    Is this a regular thing (and i just never noticed it before) or a recent phenomenon?

thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose people leave Boards all the time for various reasons. If however someone has taken offence about something there is no point just not posting, no-one will know they have taken offence. So they ask for their account to be closed. It really is not necessary, all they have to do is stop posting.

In the days before Boards became reasonably civilized, and before I realised that AH wasn't the place to post if you wanted a sensible conversation, I took umbrage and stopped posting for about a couple of years. Then I came back and have enjoyed posting since. In fact I spend a bit too much time on here, maybe I should get my account closed and do something useful instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

:Dgood point there alright.

I just noticed it lately.. thought it was weird tbh:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's probably because in quite recent times a couple of well known, long-term members closed their accounts, so there is now awareness that this can be done. It appears to be a pretty new venture. I'd imagine too a reason for doing it is not liking being well known and wanting to start afresh and under the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The door slamming "I WANT EVERY DETAIL REMOVED OR I WILL CONTACT MY SOLICITOR" ones are my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't understand why people feel the need to draw attention to themselves when they decide to quit.

If you're leaving, either log out and don't log back in, or PM an admin/user you trust and get them to scramble your password for you.

There does seem to be a bit of a surge lately OP, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd say the option to have your account closed formally is responsible for the perceived rise in the number of people leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sometimes after thousands and thousands of posts, arguments and ad hominems the final straw arrives, breaks that camels back and...

demotiv_pic_110467.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I think it's a good thing that users can close their accounts, they are after all: their accounts. I think it shows users a level of respect that Boards.ie are willing to do that for them. The whole 'scramble your password' stuff I don't get as fellow Boardsies will have no idea that you have done that and so will continue to send PMs, maybe leave some messages on your profile or just basically spend time thinking that you're coming back. Closing your account puts paid to all that and the finality of it means your friends can finally grieve your absence and just let go .. move on without you, get on with their Boardsie life.

Leaving your account sitting there un-closed is just teasing them, toying with their emotions. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing and make it clear that it's over. That you are not coming back. There will be no more late night PMs, chit chatting about other Boardsies, being there for them when a thread full of bullies turn on them. Just be cruel to be kind. Make it clear that you're not going to return by CLOSING that account on your wait out. If nothing else it will prevent users sitting naked in the corner of a bedsit, rocking back and forth with a cheap bottle of Lidl wine, as they F5 your profile for hours at a time, praying to God that just once more, your little green light will flash back on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

phasers wrote: »
    If you're leaving, either log out and don't log back in, or PM an admin/user you trust and get them to scramble your password for you.

Tbh, you can do this yourself if you want to do so. Just close your eyes and bash away at the keyboard. Personally I'd never scramble someone's password and I doubt any other admins would either. We shouldn't have access to anyone's password under any circumstances. If you want to close your account e-mail hello@boards.ie and it will be done properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I resent that, Pete.

There's nothing at all wrong with Lidl wine, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

@mitch :D

@ everyone else- I genuinely thought it was a bit strange, i mean we all have our rants/raves/gisagreements but its still prob. one of, if not the, most hospitable,and varied forums around.

What else is there that compares:confused:

Has the demographic changed in yer opinions?....i feel a younger poster is the norm now..or am i just gettin older :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I resent that, Pete.

There's nothing at all wrong with Lidl wine, like.

Fcuking beer is ok as well, 6 buidéals of Perlenbacher for €4.29...spl offer... €6.29 normal can't be too shabby now.

4.9% too.

Can get a poster banned quickish,I've discovered:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Zaph wrote: »
    Tbh, you can do this yourself if you want to do so. Just close your eyes and bash away at the keyboard.

But don't you have to confirm the new password that you just created with your eyes closed. How do you do that then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Rubik. wrote: »
    But don't you have to confirm the new password that you just created with your eyes closed. How do you do that then?

Ctrl+A and ctrl+C the new password before ctrl-Ving it in the confirm password box.

Would just be easier to get banned tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ctrl+A and ctrl+C the new password before ctrl-Ving it in the confirm password box.

I thought you would have had to type it in, I didn't realise you could just copy and paste it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How exactly does boards.ie close an account anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tallon wrote: »
    How exactly does boards.ie close an account anyway?

The account is disabled, and marked as account closed in the tagline. All posts remain behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Deleting my toon on World of Boardcraft" ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Some people do it to expand their horizons and use other services.

I know one guy who closed his account because airsoft was his interest and boards just seemed out of touch for him in his speciality interest and closed his account in the way people close unused bank accounts -just being tidy.

A few mods I know just stopped posting and AFAIK are still listed as mods did so for points of principle but wanted to keep/maintain their friendships.

I imagine people dont close their accounts cos its easier to turn up to beers etc and those who do close them do so for personal reasons rather than rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If you've just had an argument with someone then it tends to be more satisying to slam the door when you flounce out rather than closing it quietly or leaving it open.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thebullkf wrote: »
    I've noticed that quite a few people have requested that their accounts be closed, seasoned poaters some of them as well:confused:
    Is this a regular thing

People have been leaving Boards since I joined.
    Some of them huge names that you would never even have heard of as they were before your time.
    It's nothing new. People move on.
    Also, for the few that highlight their exit, the majority do it quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Beruthiel wrote: »
    People have been leaving Boards since I joined.
    Hmmmmm. :D

But aye, people come and go, just the way of forums. They might be fun for a few years but then real life or other forums takes over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CDfm wrote: »
    A few mods I know just stopped posting and AFAIK are still listed as mods did so for points of principle but wanted to keep/maintain their friendships.
    If that's true IMHO they shouldn't be listed as mods or more to the point have mod permissions and facilities anymore. That's not on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

biko wrote: »
    Hmmmmm. :D

I don't like what you are implying there young man.
    Nothing has ever been proven categorically!
    CDfm wrote:

If you have information you think should be acted on, please PM it to me.
    They will be removed as Mods and replacements will be sought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you have information you think should be acted on, please PM it to me.
    They will be removed as Mods and replacements will be sought.

If I thought anyone was doing anything dodgy I would.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I've often seen posts over in the Prison forum where former posters are told they cannot have their posting history deleted. But I was reading an old feedback thread where a formerly prolific poster/moderator was quoted but her posts were nowhere to be seen.

Does this situation vary depending on the seniority of the poster who requests it?

Sergeant wrote: »
    I've often seen posts over in the Prison forum where former posters are told they cannot have their posting history deleted. But I was reading an old feedback thread where a formerly prolific poster/moderator was quoted but her posts were nowhere to be seen.

Does this situation vary depending on the seniority of the poster who requests it?
    Link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Link?
    I eat my words. The user changed their name, then closed their account. The posts weren't deleted.

:o

Advertisement