Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

38% = a D?

• 19-06-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I've seen this many times on boards that if you get 38% then that's counted as a D3?

I vaguely remembering it is true for Honors Irish..

But is it a myth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yeah, I've heard teachers say that 38% is indeed a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I personally have never heard this before. Sounds like a crock to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've never heard this! Is this to keep the stats about fails to a minimum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I personally have never heard this before. Sounds like a crock to me
    The guy who was talking about Maths on Countdown to 806 said it. Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Is this to keep the stats about fails to a minimum?

Yeah, in a way it makes sense like to give a bit of leeway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is this not at JC?

Not sure tbh ... if spurious happens by, she will probably know.

I don't see why they'd do that though. The marking scheme is already adjusted to make sure the bell curve is adhered to so why do that as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I heard 38% is the mark at which correctors are obliged to re-check the paper to see if a pass grade can be found. It wouldn't really be fair now to just expand a D3 to a 7% range. Supposedly it's mainly used in higher level maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

My maths teacher said it at the mocks, they'll push you up. No worries for me, I'm going for an A2. But my mate insisted it was true even when another maths teacher contradicted the first one. That was probably because he got 39% in his mock though. :rollseyes: I'd say it's true. How mean would they have to be to take 45 points from you because you misread a question? It happens. It's probably only hl though as the difference between a pass and a fail at ol can be as little as five points.

Fbjm wrote: »
    My maths teacher said it at the mocks, they'll push you up. No worries for me, I'm going for an A2. But my mate insisted it was true even when another maths teacher contradicted the first one. That was probably because he got 39% in his mock though. :rollseyes: I'd say it's true. How mean would they have to be to take 45 points from you because you misread a question? It happens. It's probably only hl though as the difference between a pass and a fail at ol can be as little as five points.

Although it is only 5 points, a pass may be recquired in a subject for a course so it would be just as important to some people at OL as at HL

• Advertisement

Although it is only 5 points, a pass may be recquired in a subject for a course so it would be just as important to some people at OL as at HL

Fair enough.

Fair enough.
    Sorry if I sounded confrontational - unintended :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I herd this is true but only for Maths.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Thems fightin' words.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's certainly true for Junior Cert. exams.

I'm not sure about LC, but in general, the unofficial rule would be if a candidate gets to 38% (though it's rarely that, it will be a number of marks) then if the corrector feels it's warranted, they go back and see is there anywhere else a mark could be got.

You could have a paper from a candidate who is on 38% because although they attempted the correct number of questions, they got completely confused or mis-read a question and so lost a large number of marks, but has demonstrated that they have actually done some work in the subject and have some understanding and in that case I would definitely go back and try get them up a mark or two.

Or you could have a candidate who clearly has done no revision/work, has written tiny amounts of spoofing with maybe one good question and has managed to cobble together bits and pieces to bring them close to a pass. I'd be a little bit less generous in that case.

Ha it's cool :P didn't sound confrontational to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Ha it's cool :P didn't sound confrontational to me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNC0kIzM1Fo :D:D

Advertisement