Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5" Hard Disk = Less Vibration?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I'm specing together a new build where by I'm aiming to reduce system noise as much as possible.

I'm aware that 3.5" hard disks offer more capacity than 2.5" hard disks. They more or less pack the same technologies for noise reduction with the 2.5" disks having a few added bits for the moving user.

However in my last system build I had hard disks which were very quiet in operation though caused a great deal of vibration in the system chassis.

My chosen case has quite a few mount points for 2.5" disks (SSDs) so I thought why not use one for a 2.5" hard disk which would probably have less vibration than the equivalent 3.5" disk?

Capacity isn't an issue for me.

Nothing scientific about it... smaller, less weight / mass..

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could use rubber washers or suspend the HDDs from cable ties.
    It would be easier to get a case like the Fractal Design R3. It has sound proofing an as long as you pick a quiet CPU cooler, graphics card and PSU, you won't hear much.

I think if you got 5400RPM drives, they wouldn't vibrate as much. Most of the laptop ones are 5400 RPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I don't think using a 2.5" drive as a system drive would be a good idea ,though.
    If it's just for storage then it would be okay, no problems doing that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Moon54 wrote: »
    I don't think using a 2.5" drive as a system drive would be a good idea ,though.
    If it's just for storage then it would be okay, no problems doing that at all.

Im using a 2.5" Western Digital Scopio Black as an OS drive in my media pc , with no problems .

It's a 160 GB , 7200rpm drive and is completely silent - no clicking , humming , or vibrations .

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701275.pdf

According to the Win 7 experience rating , it scores 5.9 .

I have a 400GB Samsung Spinpoint in my office pc , it scores a little lower - 5.8

Advertisement