Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib Credit card Purchase Finance Charges

Options
  • 19-06-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think think this is sneaky. I usually am very anal about paying my credit card bill on time every month, I just hate these charges:mad: I also throw in a few bob in the middle of billing period so at least I have the minimum payment paid off. I have got caught out where its been my own fault and other times wondered how the hell did I incur this Purchase finance charge.
    I pay by online from my Aib current acc usually on the day its due or a day or two before hand. My payment date is the 10th which landed on the fri of this month. Paid it on the day at 22 30 transferred payment straight out of current acc and shows up on current acc that I transferred money . Checked my online banking on the 15th. My current acc now shows transfer on Mon 13th and my aib credit card showed payment received on the 13th and purchase finance charge also but yet on my payment and transfer page shows transfer on the 10th

Rang Aib up story is " you have to make a payment before 8 pm on a working day" and it being the weekend it can 3 working days. Does this seem laughable in this day and age with the advent of 24hr banking. As I pointed out to the Aib person If my payment date lands on a saturday or I make payment thru the Post Office what happens? As usual no reply

Does any think this is super sneaky?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Dont see anything sneaky in it, just follow the guidelines you been told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Dont see anything sneaky in it, just follow the guidelines you been told

Really ? It says on my monthly bill To be paid by the 10th says nowt about 8pm or what not anyway Got a phone call today informing me they were refunding the charge to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

dev100 wrote: »
    Does this seem laughable in this day and age with the advent of 24hr banking

Agree with that.
    In some other countries, the accounts are linked properly and payments/transfers move between accounts instantly.
    However, in this case, I'm afraid you'd have to just follow their non sneaky guidelines :)

Mort5000 wrote: »
    Agree with that.
    In some other countries, the accounts are linked properly and payments/transfers move between accounts instantly.
    However, in this case, I'm afraid you'd have to just follow their non sneaky guidelines :)

I may be a complete dumb ass :D I cant see it and to be honest I wont waste time looking. I will however learn never to get caught out again!!! but goes to show if you ring them up and complain you will get places

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Yip, well done on persisting on the phone.
    Quite unusual to win those battles, but very good to see.
    :)

• Advertisement

Mort5000 wrote: »
    Yip, well done on persisting on the phone.
    Quite unusual to win those battles, but very good to see.
    :)

Well having informed them I couldnt see on my statement or online when I was paying and the threat of informing them id be complaining to the Financial ombudsman.....

You wouldnt want to hear the story of a 50cent charge from O2 for a txt mess I didnt make lol Poor girl from o2 must of thought I was mad ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Does anyone think think this is sneaky. I usually am very anal about paying my credit card bill on time every month, I just hate these charges:mad: I also throw in a few bob in the middle of billing period so at least I have the minimum payment paid off. I have got caught out where its been my own fault and other times wondered how the hell did I incur this Purchase finance charge.
    I pay by online from my Aib current acc usually on the day its due or a day or two before hand. My payment date is the 10th which landed on the fri of this month. Paid it on the day at 22 30 transferred payment straight out of current acc and shows up on current acc that I transferred money . Checked my online banking on the 15th. My current acc now shows transfer on Mon 13th and my aib credit card showed payment received on the 13th and purchase finance charge also but yet on my payment and transfer page shows transfer on the 10th

Rang Aib up story is " you have to make a payment before 8 pm on a working day" and it being the weekend it can 3 working days. Does this seem laughable in this day and age with the advent of 24hr banking. As I pointed out to the Aib person If my payment date lands on a saturday or I make payment thru the Post Office what happens? As usual no reply

Does any think this is super sneaky?

No, not sneaky at all. It says on your bill to be paid by the 10th. You are not paying it by the 10th. It's leaving your current account on the 10th. It's not reaching your credit card account until after that. Lots of banking systems are linked or don't update instantly.

I know with Bank of Ireland when I pay my credit card bill online, it leaves my current account but doesn't show up on my credit card for a couple of days.

Just pay your bill on time. I think the Finanical Ombudman would laugh you out of it if you complained. Your situation is no different to you going to the ATM and taking the money out to pay the bill and then going to the Post Office to pay it over the counter. Money has left your current account but hasn't yet reached your credit card account.

Why do you leave it until the last possible day to pay your bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Paying your bill at 22:30 on a Friday night and then whinging when the credit card company says you were late really takes the biscuit!

BOI allows you to pay money at a future date so if I'm paying my credit card bill I enter it several days in advance with the due date (or the previous business day if that's a weekend or bank holiday) as the date of payment so I never miss the payment deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Really ? It says on my monthly bill To be paid by the 10th says nowt about 8pm or what not anyway Got a phone call today informing me they were refunding the charge to me.

It does say on teh bill to allow several days for the payment to reach your account

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

On internet banking you can pick any date in the future to pay your credit card. So get off your high horse with all your rubbish of going to the financial ombudsman, and ensure you pay your bill on time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement