Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard vrs Non-standard PRSA

Options
  • 19-06-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm in my mid thirties and am starting to get the jitters about planning for a pension. I had a pension with a previous employer, but went out of business 4 years ago. I have not made any attempt at starting a pension with all the uncertainty of the last few years, but I've made an attempt at starting one now.

I have had a look at Rabobank pensions, however you are redirected to Zurich that will provide a standard PRSA. I have also seen that Davy do a self directed PRSA, but this is deemed a non standard PRSA but does to me seem a litle riskier given my little knowledge of stock markets.

Should I go with the standard safe path, or has anybody dealt with davy?

cheers for your help

NM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bailes

Hi Novaman

There are a number of other factors that you need to consider before you select a provider.
    1. Past performance
    2. Credit Rating
    3. Allocation rates
    4. Annual Management charges
    5. Your attitude to risk.
    I would go and seek some expert financial advice before commiting to any provider.

Using a broker doesn't adversely effect your incestment and in fact can help debunk the jargon mail you receive direct so i would go and talk to a broker.

If you need some help i can point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Thanks Bailes, you have been very helpful, I'll take up your advice and talk to a broker, it seems sound advice.

I'll try and check out all the factors you have listed, is there a credit rating website where I can access?

Thanks,

NM

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I remember a friend of mine asked me for my views on pensions a couple of years ago.

He was in the construction game earning great money...............

I advised him to keep it simple in case market/markets went belly up and go for a single premium pension/prsa every year having saved money in bank/building society throughout the year.

He told me that I was "too small to deal with" and that he was going to deal with a guy he knew very well from sport who had "worked his way to the top of his profession" in a very short period of time. His friend suggested self administered fund blah blah . I suggested that it was not a suitable vehicle and that he wasn't earning that much to be going into one etc etc.

He didn't listen, his fund is worth 1/5th of what was invested and of course, he has been unemployed for the last 2 years and his friend came down the ladder as quick as he went up it.

Do get advice, from more than one advisor & do consider the investments you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Ooh, that's quite a fall there, thanks for your advice it just goes to show that what seems a done deal at the time isn't all that good sometimes.

Why the single premium pension, less charges ?

Thanks

NM

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Novaman wrote: »
    Ooh, that's quite a fall there, thanks for your advice it just goes to show that what seems a done deal at the time isn't all that good sometimes.

Why the single premium pension, less charges ?

Thanks

NM

Could be but more so the flexibilty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement