Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rabbits!!

• 19-06-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

there are literally hundreds of them crawling around fields, to the point that areas in the field can't grow because rabbits are savaging grass, it is really an infestation at this point. What's the best way to get rid of them quickly?? have a gun and go shooting them but i feel i am loosing the battle, i might get 4-5 at a go but i have a very long way to go...also there are 2 spots near houses so don't shoot there and is where the problem is worse...i heard about netting them but not sure how it works..any solution very welcome. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Because of the way these threads have gone in the past I want to get this in first, keep all suggestions legal.

Options for getting rid of rabbits, off the top of my head:
    • Shooting with rifle or shotgun by day or night.
    • Using lurchers.
    • Using ferrets with purse nets or long nets and can also be done along side dogs/shotguns.
    • Snaring.
    • Drop nets.
    • Rabbit proof fencing combined with drop boxes (expensive option).

My own suggestion would be to use a number of the above solutions together. Which would depend on the person carrying them out and the suitability of the land in question for the particular activity. Shooting by day and night for sure, hit them very hard with this method in the beginning as they'll wise up to it - either the noise or the lamp will tip them off (silenced rifles like .22lr or HMR will account for a good number of rabbits).

Ferrets will be able to get them out of the burrows either directly into purse nets, or into long nets set around all the holes of one burrow. Shotguns and dogs can be used with these methods for any bunny that get's above ground but escapes the nets.

Snaring will account for a lot of rabbits, if done correctly, it's a bit of an art.

If you want outside help, then there are many competent, insured, and raring to go members on the Hunting forum who would only be delighted to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

eorna wrote: »
    there are literally hundreds of them crawling around fields, to the point that areas in the field can't grow because rabbits are savaging grass, it is really an infestation at this point. What's the best way to get rid of them quickly?? have a gun and go shooting them but i feel i am loosing the battle, i might get 4-5 at a go but i have a very long way to go...also there are 2 spots near houses so don't shoot there and is where the problem is worse...i heard about netting them but not sure how it works..any solution very welcome. thanks

in the exact same position as that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

this ones got floppy ears-i think ill call it Fr Jack:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've seen ferrets work very well in these situations - plus theres a guy who's into falconry that posts on the hunting forum and seems to have huge success on rabbits with an American Harris Hawk. I'm sure if you live anywhere near him he would only be too happy to come out and help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Someone in the food forum was looking to buy dead rabbits in Dublin. One of the posters said you could buy one for 14.99. Perhaps you should open up a stall:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Someone in the food forum was looking to buy dead rabbits in Dublin. One of the posters said you could buy one for 14.99. Perhaps you should open up a stall:D

I mentioned it on another thread here - there is a huge market for wild rabbits in the UK for cooking. There's not really too much sale for them here. Eastern european countries are renouned for their rabbit dishes too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭murphhy

If your going shooting them with a rifle get silent bullets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Someone in the food forum was looking to buy dead rabbits in Dublin. One of the posters said you could buy one for 14.99. Perhaps you should open up a stallbiggrin.gif

i like the sound of that!!;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Don't suppose you could encourage some of your rabbits to make their way up to my place could you? My land used to have dozens of rabbits and very tasty they were too. I could more or less guarantee getting a couple any time we fancied rabbit stew. But haven't seen a single one for a couple of years now, very occasionaly there's one that sits on the road but it's a bit near the main road to be shooting him! Interesting how the rabbit population comes and goes and nobody seems to have a good answer as to why ?

George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

When I was a child I had rabbit stew, we were travelling in the car and this big rabbit ran in front of the car, yeah it was a rabbit not a hare...and it got killed, it was healthy apart from being suicidal and my father brought it home hung it up and then whenever it was he skinned and cleaned it out and we had rabbit stew, it was alright, would try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Min wrote: »
    When I was a child I had rabbit stew, we were travelling in the car and this big rabbit ran in front of the car, yeah it was a rabbit not a hare...and it got killed, it was healthy apart from being suicidal and my father brought it home hung it up and then whenever it was he skinned and cleaned it out and we had rabbit stew, it was alright, would try it again.

Its very similar to chicken ;)
    Tasty and good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

When we ran them over we use to stop and put them in the boot, and them throw to the dog when we got home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

reilig wrote: »
    I mentioned it on another thread here - there is a huge market for wild rabbits in the UK for cooking. There's not really too much sale for them here. Eastern european countries are renouned for their rabbit dishes too!!

all game has become more popular over there in the last few years. BASC ran a big campaign, along with the likes of jamie oliver etc. Pity the NARGC dont do similiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

When we ran them over we use to stop and put them in the boot, and them throw to the dog when we got home.

I know a man, who would tackle that dog and take the road kill off it, and use it for his own dinner. No problem whatsoever.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

murphhy wrote: »
    If your going shooting them with a rifle get silent bullets

do you need to have a silencer on a gun to use silenced bullets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're asolutely riddled with them go for ferrets combined with nets and shotguns for the bolters. As to the burrows close to houses I suppose a chat with the occupants explaining what you're doing will go a long way. I've done it in the past, explained to people that I would indeed be close to their home but at no time firing in the direction of their home and bar one exception ( young child that was very afraid of loud noises ) I've never had a problem.

You'll probably get more sinister suggestions but introducing anything from elsewhere is a big no can do from a legal point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 frostfright

See is Elmer Fudd around to hunt some wabbits (altho he is trying to catch one for the last 60 years with no luck!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Finno59 wrote: »
    do you need to have a silencer on a gun to use silenced bullets?

No such thing as silenced bullets, he probably meant sub-sonic. If you used sub-sonics with a silencer it would be very quiet. The moderator (silencer) only reduces the muzzle blast, it does not silence the bullet and any bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound will create its own sonic boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I shoot Hundreds of rabbits for neighbours
    If they throw me the price of a box of bullets I make it my mission to return the favour.

Anyone ever need rabbit control can PM me and I'll sort them out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

that sounds like one of those good problems,ied love to help you out , have gun will travel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poach

love hunting rabbits ill get rid of them no problem

Advertisement