Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Suggestions Please

• 19-06-2011 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all. With one week to go till the CAO closes i really need to pick a course. My favourite subjects are Maths and Business, both at higher level. Any suggestions of college courses because i can't find any that interest me :( Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Actuary? Finance? Business? Pure maths?

What else interests you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

You really shouldn't be asking strangers on a forum what you should be doing for the rest of your life.
    But anyway, Jam making.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

PJelly wrote: »
    Jam making.

Brilliant course! You'll need some fantastic people! And you'll never be stuck for a sandwich filler, what more could you want in life?

And you use your maths to weigh the stuff.. and business to sell it! Its perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

PJelly wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be asking strangers on a forum what you should be doing for the rest of your life.

So wrong it's painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

what.to.do wrote: »
    Brilliant course! You'll need some fantastic people! And you'll never be stuck for a sandwich filler, what more could you want in life?

And you use your maths to weigh the stuff.. and business to sell it! Its perfect!
    The name belies it's true meaning.
    It has sucked so many burgeoning jam makers into it, but it's actually....
    Door jams. The little wedge things that stop doors from closing. Nowhere near as tasty as jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Great fibre in them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Hi all. With one week to go till the CAO closes i really need to pick a course. My favourite subjects are Maths and Business, both at higher level. Any suggestions of college courses because i can't find any that interest me :( Thanks.

How many points will you be able to get? Maths and Economics in TCD maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭daviekelly123

Thanks everyone so far. And Im just lookin for suggestions, Im not just gonna pick one because you suggest it. Im lookin for around 500 points. Keep them comin in. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school has done you a serious disservice if you have been given no guidance on this. If you are capable of getting 500 points almost every course is available to you.
    It's astonishing no-one has done even preliminary work with you about this.
    As a starter, I suppose you could do some of those online tests to see in which field your interests lie.

• Advertisement

I have received help from the school but because i have so many options I can't decide what to go for. There are so many business courses but most with low points but I want one that stands out. and Im just looking for suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

spurious wrote: »
    Your school has done you a serious disservice if you have been given no guidance on this. If you are capable of getting 500 points almost every course is available to you.
    As a starter, I suppose you could do some of those online tests to see in which field your interests lie.

I'm capable of getting 500++ and even though I've gone to my guidance teacher all she's ever said is "you're good at all your subjects so you can do anything you want" yeah. great help. not! :mad: I still don't know what I'm putting on my CAO! :(

Anyway end hijack OP how about Actuarial Mathematics in DCU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I have received help from the school but because i have so many options I can't decide what to go for. There are so many business courses but most with low points but I want one that stands out. and Im just looking for suggestions.

Just because a course has low points doesn't mean it's not a good course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

NotExactly wrote: »
    Just because a course has low points doesn't mean it's not a good course.

Exactamundo!

It doesn't matter if you get 600 points, if the course you're interested in is 300 points then go for it. Do something you're interested in and don't be one of those people who gets pushed into law (or medicine before the HPAT) just becuase you're capable of it.
    spurious wrote: »

To be honest, if I ever meet a capable career guidance teacher then I will eat my (old) uniform. Any I've met have wanted to push everyone who comes through their doors into a particular type of course.

ye i was thinking actuarial maths but it seems to have such difficult maths in it :( And i don't know if i'd be able for that. Id like half business based and half maths based. Not 90% one and 10% the other. And ye career guidance teacher said i can do anything and she cant decide for me. So ye great help that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My cousin was in the same position as you last year. She couldn't decide what she wanted to do in College buy was interested in Business and Maths. She did OL Maths and got an A1, and also got an A1 in HL Business. She opted for Financial Maths & Economics in NUIM and she absolutley loves it! She said it's the perfect combination of Maths, Business and Economics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

Economics and Finance in UCD would be ideal and its 520 points so that would suit u because u think high points mean good courses

Commerce in UCD is also a very good course(it shuld be around 460 this year) along with BESS in trinity( around 485) which is basically a course for people who dont have a clue what they wanna do but who are interested in business

Thanks 4 all the suggestions so far. Keep them coming in :)

Advertisement