Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Burglary

Options
  • 19-06-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not too sure where I should be posting this thread but I thought seeing that this incident occured in Cork I thought it would be best here.

Me and my cousin have a few whippets to go hunting which we keep out our grandmothers garden, in kennels.

She lives on her own but either of our mothers are there most of the day so she is hardly ever there on her own.
    She doesn't leave the house since my Grandfather passed away a few years ago and is still struggling to get over it.
    She goes to my uncles house 1 day and her friends another and that is the only time the house is left unoccupied.

On one night this week my cousin was driving past the house and saw two young fella's in the front garden going out the back.
    He stopped and got out to see why they would be in there, and there by the back gate was one of the whippets in a ball, shaking.
    We thought that what had happened was they must have taken the dog and she must have some how got away from them and it was only luck that my cousin saw them, otherwise we don't know what could have happened the dog.
    Anyway, we thought that everything would settle down anyway.

However, the next night, when my grandmother was in my uncles house my cousin went in to check on the dogs and one of them was gone. We have a net over the kennels because a couple of years ago one of the dogs jumped out but we got her back again(but that's another story).
    And part of the net, by the wall was tore off the wall. My cousin's girlfriend was driving around looking for the dog and she saw a couple of young fella's in a field with him and another couple of dogs.
    She was too afraid to go over to them on her own, so she asked a man who was walking his dog to go with her, and he did and grabbed the dog off the boys. Then my cousin and my brother went up and warned them not to do it again etc.(because what else could they have done)
    The guards were down in my nan's house and went up but by the time they did the boys ran away already. We know who did it, and the family have a "history" around the parish, shall we say. And the Guards are afraid of that family, when we told the guard who they were he went white and said he didn't know who they were.
    So, the Guards are basically afraid to go near them. So they can try and attempt to rob people and get away with it, yet if we laid a finger on them we'd get sued and all sorts.
    The day after then a neighbour called over to my nan saying that he saw 3 young fellas in their early teen's dancing on the wire to break it and then pulling one of the dogs up over the wall.
    I was bemused as to how the neighbour could just stand there and watch this but I think it was because yet again, they didn't want to get involved with this family.
    Aswell another neighbour came over saying she saw 3 teens sitting on a green across the road looking over at the house.
    Then only last night I was in bed and my mams phone rang, it was my nana saying that there was 2 young fellas outside the house, one was wearing a mask.
    The masked fella walked into the front garden while the other stayed outside and my nan turned the light out the back on and they ran away, we drove over then and there was no sign so my aunt came down aswell and stayed the night.

The night they took the dog aswell they stole 4 collar and leads aswell.

A family friend was talking to a man who owns dogs aswell and he said that 3 young fellas tried to rob his dogs last week.
    My friend didn't even tell him that our dogs were stolen but the man said that it was the same family who tried to take his.

So, after all that. I would just like to point out the way this country is going, 3 youngsters try to rob from an elderly widow, what has this nation become?
    Aswell it shows you how backbone-less the guards are in this country. They are afraid to go after this family.
    They say that they can't help us because we can't prove it was them, so what are we supposed to do?
    Wait until one of the dogs is taken or maybe we should wait until they break into the house??
    Yet, if we caught them and hit one of them they would sue for all sorts of things, in this country you're not able to hit an intruder in your house unless they go upstairs, so I say to that we get them and drag them up the stairs and beat the living sh*t outta um..They can try and steal our dogs and nothing can be done about it, yet we can't defend our grandmother otherwise we would be up in court for trying to help our family.

I would just like to get your thoughts on the situation and how we could possibly go about this. Thanks for reading my thread, and I look forward to your responses...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You could set up a camera looking over the dog kennel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What area was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SigersonCup

Northside of the city

.......... so the Gardai are afraid of this family yet when your Grandmother turned on the light they fled? If the Gardai are genuinely afraid of this family I don't think dragging them upstairs to beat the sh1t out of them is the way to go.

As it seems to be the dogs that are attracting them I'd try and come up with other arrangements for the dogs or else these lads may well keep coming back. Either that or someone stays with your grandmother every night so at least she has peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

If they are climbing over a wall to get the dogs you can employ deterrents to stop them doing so ranging from a paint that never dries, through barbed/Razor wire and up to what ever your mind can imagine.

There would be several other suggestions but their legality would be questionable.

• Advertisement

maglite wrote: »
    If they are climbing over a wall to get the dogs you can employ deterrents to stop them doing so ranging from a paint that never dries, through barbed/Razor wire and up to what ever your mind can imagine.

There would be several other suggestions but their legality would be questionable.
    We got the paint you are talking about yesterday..We did have glass on the top of the wall before but we were made take it down because if someone was trying to get into the back garden they could sue, even though they were breaking in..shows ya how effed up the laws in this country are.

RoverJames wrote: »
    .......... so the Gardai are afraid of this family yet when your Grandmother turned on the light they fled? If the Gardai are genuinely afraid of this family I don't think dragging them upstairs to beat the sh1t out of them is the way to go.

As it seems to be the dogs that are attracting them I'd try and come up with other arrangements for the dogs or else these lads may well keep coming back. Either that or someone stays with your grandmother every night so at least she has peace of mind.
    We started staying there last week. There is at least one of us staying there every night now. The guards are useless, only a couple of years ago when my Grandfather passed away there was a house across the street, the owner wasn't living there so there was a crowd of maybe 10-15 teenagers(would have only been around 13-15) hanging around there just outside my grandmothers house. She used be afraid to go outside because of the abuse she used get off them. Aswell this was around 11 o'clock at night. I don't know what sort of parents they must have to leave a child that young out at that time. We told the guards what they used do, they used have a soccer ball and they used hit it off my nan's house and hit the window a number of times. She went out to them and they only laughed at her. Aswell they used throw stones at the house, and still the guards would do nothing. Then one night the guards came up and took some of their names, then one night they broke a window in my nan's house and we called the guards. They ran away and we drove around looking for them there was a group of the same young "people" further up the parish and we told the guards and they wouldnt go up and said that we couldn't prove who actually did it. So, in the end my grandmother had to pay for the window herself, instead of the scum who actually did it.. So what my point is, the guards are useless, theyre more interested now in standing behind a wall getting 80 euro's a time at catching people driving over the speed-limit instead of catching young thugs like that scum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I would suggest locating the dogs somewhere else.

I wouldnt like to see what they would do to the dogs oif they managed to get them :(

Some people are just scum - preying on the helpless as they know they are the most vulnerable!

Misticles wrote: »
    I would suggest locating the dogs somewhere else.

I wouldnt like to see what they would do to the dogs oif they managed to get them :(

Some people are just scum - preying on the helpless as they know they are the most vulnerable!

I know, the night we caught them with the dog, they also had 3 other dogs, they probably stole them aswell..

The worrying thing is that these were young teens. One was around 17 and the other two were maybe 13 or 14..

I hate to imagine what they will be up to when they're in their twenties.

I just don't know what would make someone that young think about stealing dogs from an old woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

How about buying a dog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

evilivor wrote: »
    How about buying a dog?
    notsure-1.jpg?w=695&h=316

notsure-1.jpg?w=695&h=316

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jojo123jo

I know, the night we caught them with the dog, they also had 3 other dogs, they probably stole them aswell..

The worrying thing is that these were young teens. One was around 17 and the other two were maybe 13 or 14..

I just don't know what would make someone that young think about stealing dogs from an old woman

That is just an AWFUL situation to be in - your poor Nan, she must feel unsafe at all times, even in her own home! I think the earlier suggestion of a camera is a great idea.

Is there any Neighbourhood Watch/Community policing in the area? Perhaps if there is even a resident's association that could be a starting point - I've attended meetings here in Dublin and the police who attend seem committed to improving things - I certainly wouldn't be relying on the local Gardai who've been of no help to you at all.

It's of absolutely no help to you, but just to let you know am really thinking of you all - I feel sick to my stomach that these s**ts can be so so persistent in trying to steal your dogs.

jojo123jo wrote: »
    That is just an AWFUL situation to be in - your poor Nan, she must feel unsafe at all times, even in her own home! I think the earlier suggestion of a camera is a great idea.

Is there any Neighbourhood Watch/Community policing in the area? Perhaps if there is even a resident's association that could be a starting point - I've attended meetings here in Dublin and the police who attend seem committed to improving things - I certainly wouldn't be relying on the local Gardai who've been of no help to you at all.

It's of absolutely no help to you, but just to let you know am really thinking of you all - I feel sick to my stomach that these s**ts can be so so persistent in trying to steal your dogs.

She does, but the only thing is that she's not on her own now atall, theres always one of us there with her, especially at night. We are going to put cameras up now to try and sort it out.

There isn't really a Neighbourhood Watch set up really. The guards are a waste of space really, all they are interested in is standing out in the sun with the hairdryer catching people for speeding instead of going after people terrorizing the place, to be honest.

The community are afraid of this family aswell because a few people saw them doing it and knew them and only came over the day after to my nan and wouldn't confront them on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Hopefully they'll be spending their twenties behind bars as someone's b1tch:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Jaysus if only I was Bruce Lee for a week..:mad:

Lemag wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll be spending their twenties behind bars as someone's b1tch:eek:

If they are from a family that are known to the Gardai they'll have no bother in jail.

Advertisement