Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunar Cycles and their Climatic Influences

Options
  • 19-06-2011 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Bugger Me. Another Cycle. :cool: This research is about M.T's neck of the woods.

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2007.../2006JC003671.shtml

This piece is about our part of the world.

http://ansatte.hials.no/hy/climate/EmneOppgitt041122.pdf

Look at the section on 'wavelets' and whether a lunar induced cooling cycle in the north atlantic may be cyclicly due in around 100 years or so.

Spot of googleepoos for " lunar nodal cycle oscillations " will throw up some further papers. I like this 'collection' of cycles here including "The Chandler Wobble (434-436 days, which nobody understands" but that did not stop someone claiming that Chandlers Wobble yadda yadda "Ice Age"

Anyways we had an eclipse during the past week which ( I think) means that some oscillation or other will be affected by an ascending or descending moon. That is the simple purpose of my starting this thread.

Does anybody on this Board follow these oscillations as well as sunspots??

IE could a particular stage in the Lunar Node Cycle enhance a solar low (downwards) even if that low were not much more than a normal 11 year solar cycle ???

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Does anybody on this Board follow these oscillations as well as sunspots??

IE could a particular stage in the Lunar Node Cycle enhance a solar low (downwards) even if that low were not much more than a normal 11 year solar cycle ???

TIA

I think Ken Ring does, but his results aren't quite so successful and I haven't seen him here in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've explained some of this in more detail in another thread, but basically, the Moon's potential influence on certain weather data can be demonstrated and is significant, but since there are other factors independent of the Moon at play, the predictive nature of the cycles is somewhat limited.

I have spent a lot of time trying to unravel all these cycles both lunar and geomagnetic, and feel that it probably requires a huge effort involving super-computers and hundreds of co-ordinated researchers looking at many different data sets.

Perhaps this will come about one day if the significance of any given research like this is raised to the level of "ground-breaking" rather than "interesting" or "suggestive." In other words, when the hysteria about AGW fades out, perhaps a more natural-cycle based approach will become politically feasible.

In climate research, the scale and complexity pretty much mean that there's a political side to research choices and funding. So that's the part of the game that I'm really not very skilled at, preferring to kiss on the face rather than the derriere.

Advertisement