Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerouac's On The Road: Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

I bought a motorbike and drove around mexico for 5 months a couple of years ago. Read it before hand and its what inspired me to go and do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

markesmith wrote: »
    Kerouac suits you more when you're a certain age, maybe 15-21. It's the perfect 'angry young man' book, or at the age when your senses are a bit heightened to the world.
    I don't think OTR was/is a book for "angry young men" - more a book for those who dream of a romantic and somewhat hedonistic life free of many societal constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Read it too late as well, at 30 on a round the world tirp with my mother. Left it behind in a Singapore hotel room. Couldn't finish. He clearly didn't like women...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I read it when I was 16 and loved it. I breathed its freedom, I tried to live its intuitive sense of breaking free. The want to be able to live without any responsiblities, living off impulsive idea's, the emotional urgency to be free, do things in your own way at your own time and do it all now!

That was me then. When I read it again when i was 22 I still enjoyed it but without the sense of wanting to replicate this person anymore merely was more an enjoyable read of a fictional biography.

I will read it again when im in my 30's and I would definitely recommend it to people to read. I actually had the audiobook which the narrator had a smooth, sleepy, deep voice with a short drawl; reminded me of the careless nature of the charactes in the book and drew me in further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Loved it. As others have stated, it helps to be aware of the context in which it was set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement