Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a weak signal?

• 19-06-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

We've had UPC for 2 months now,and when the people came out to install it they told us there was too weak a signal to set everything up so the other engineers came back to fix that.
    However we've yet to get anything near the 25mb (or 20mb at the time) and now and again the TV channels act up. When everything was set up I had great pings on servers in Ireland and abroad but those ping times have slowly crept up while downloads speeds have deteriorated. I'm usually downloading files at 400kb/s which is annoying since I was downloading at over 500kb/s on the old ASDL from Vodafone before we switched.
    Often websites don't load (I've changed the dns to OpenDNS but this doesn't help), and sites like Speedtest.net sometimes fail to load fully.
    So my question is, is this normal for other UPC customers or do we have a weak signal again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

im not sure about upc signal as im waiting for it to come into my area but i have had problems with my own broadband not being fantastic. what i wanted to say was to keep track of your problems over the next week then call customer care with you problem log always keep a track of your customer care calls time & name. This sounds stupid but if you do have any problems and need to cancel your contract you need evidence that you have logged all faults even if it means ringing in every week. i know this doesnt answer your question but i hope it would help you in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would sooner say you call UPC repeatedly as UPC will only reimburse you for a fault from whatever occasions you called them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theprisoner

I am having the same problem, trying to get UPC to fix it, a nightmare.
    Send a few registered letters still no joy.
    Going to COMREG now to lodge a complaint.

If you tune in you analogue channels and the picture is fuzzy then the signal quality is bad. You can also log on to your modem to check the signal quality. Look out for

Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.2 dBmV
    If this value is above 50 you have a signal quality problem

for more info

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I am having the same problem, trying to get UPC to fix it, a nightmare.
    Send a few registered letters still no joy.
    Going to COMREG now to lodge a complaint.

If you tune in you analogue channels and the picture is fuzzy then the signal quality is bad. You can also log on to your modem to check the signal quality. Look out for

Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.2 dBmV
    If this value is above 50 you have a signal quality problem

for more info

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html
    Hi theprisoner!
    I don't have "Upstream Power Level" on the system page, but I do have Transmit Power Level and Receive Power Level.
    Both of those looks like this and one of them is indeed above 50 dBmV
    Hardware Version 1.0

Receive Power Level -0.6 dBmV

Transmit Power Level 53.9 dBmV

Advertisement