Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My book is selling

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

My reading of your book has been delayed by misplacing my stoopid ipod charger. Nightmare. Though it does mean I'm getting my GRR Martin prep nicely underway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

EileenG wrote: »
    If you feel like doing a review, that would be a great line!

Will do that when Ive finished it then. :)

I wonder about twitter. People keep telling me that I should be twittering away about it, but I think most tweets are very boring, and I can't say I'd be tempted to check out a book someone had tweeted about. (I can't believe my spell checker is accepting those words).

Eileen, do try Twitter. It's a great place for meeting people, for talking about and promoting your work, and for generally having fun.

It can be boring, but it can also be incredibly funny, with links to some really good sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'm on Twitter, and have about a dozen followers, but most of the tweets I get seem to be so inane I wonder if anyone actually reads them. I'm @eileen_gormley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I'm on Twitter, and have about a dozen followers, but most of the tweets I get seem to be so inane I wonder if anyone actually reads them. I'm @eileen_gormley

You've one more now. ;)

Desire. wrote: »
    You've one more now. ;)

And another.

Though I fear I may occasionally (under-estimate?) be guilty of inane tweets.

Thank you! Now I have to think of interesting stuff to tweet, having complained about the boring ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eileen, do you watch True Blood by any chance? Because...

No. Should I?

I'm addicted to Dexter right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

No. Should I?

I'm addicted to Dexter right now.

yes. yes a thousand times yes.

*cough* I mean....you might like it, not that I am a fan or anything. It is easy to get addicted, a lot of episodes end on a cliff hanger.

I can't wait for the next season of Dexter.

No. Should I?

The opening scene in Season 4 of True Blood had
    fairies planning to harvest humans to the dismay of the feisty heroine
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

The opening scene in Season 4 of True Blood had
    fairies planning to harvest humans to the dismay of the feisty heroine
    :eek:

That's pretty standard fae behaviour, no?

Antilles wrote: »
    That's pretty standard fae behaviour, no?

Maybe, I'm not really au fae with that mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

There's the switched baby thing. Can't recall what they are called changelings I think, but never on that scale.

Though they do have habit of taking mortals where they should not stray.

Really enjoying it, Eileen. Not getting on as quickly as I'd like as have to get mine finished by 15th August. Love your characters.

Oh thank you. If anything strikes you as needing improving, let me know, I'm doing the final edits before it goes to the printer for the paperback, so now is the time to tell me.

Oh thank you. If anything strikes you as needing improving, let me know, I'm doing the final edits before it goes to the printer for the paperback, so now is the time to tell me.

Oh, that's interesting.

Did the publishers e-publish it too, or did you do that yourself? I'm completely ignorant about how it all works.

They did it, and are responsible for some of the wonky formatting. I've since been getting an education in how to present documents with the least chance of getting bollixed by the printer/formatter. Basic rule, write with as few non-printing characters as possible, and be really disciplined about italics, bold and all forms of punctuation.

Right now, I'm doing a trawl for Irish-isms (car park, land rover, pot holes, rubbish, etc) and I'm also trying to butch Steve up a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

They did it, and are responsible for some of the wonky formatting. I've since been getting an education in how to present documents with the least chance of getting bollixed by the printer/formatter. Basic rule, write with as few non-printing characters as possible, and be really disciplined about italics, bold and all forms of punctuation.

Right now, I'm doing a trawl for Irish-isms (car park, land rover, pot holes, rubbish, etc) and I'm also trying to butch Steve up a little.

How do edits work for the Kindle version? Do you resubmit it to Amazon and they distribute the new version to people who have the book?

I submit it to my publisher and hassle them until they redo what's up on Amazon. I presume if you are self-publishing, you can alter it yourself whenever you want.

As far as I know, when a new version goes up, if you delete the one you've already downloaded to your reader and redownload from Amazon (this is free, no matter how often you do it), you get the updated version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hey! Saw the article about you in the Herald today! Have to say it put a wide grin on my face, really happy for you!

Glad you saw it, I missed it completely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 majicalo

Mind you, I don't think anyone in Europe has a Nook![/QUOTE]

Except me :)

You have one? What's it like? Is there a Nook ap?

Eileen, I have to tell you again how much I'm enjoying your book. I loved the Romeo and Juliet part - it just conjured up such a wonderful image. And the characters are so diverse.

I actually love Raphael. You've captured that type of character beautifully. My other fav. is Asnem.

I'll do a review on Amazon when I've finished.

Oh thank you. Rafael is sort of inspired by a person who is frequently seen on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

well done to u eileeng,will b buying book weekend

Yeh!

I have been listening to all the comments I got here, and used them to improve the paperback edits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

great achievement - congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pnkker

I've just heard that my book, Don't Feed the Fairies, is in the top 2% of Amazon sales.

People I haven't been nagging have been buying it.

Mind you, I have no idea how they calculate these things, but I'm not going to argue.

I'm getting reviews as well. www.tinyurl.com/eileengormley

good for you. How long did it take you to write the book ?

I am considering writing a book but I want to write something in the self help section.

It will probably be easier to sell. There's a lot more non-fiction being published than fiction, and not nearly as many people writing it.

The first draft took me about three months to write, but it took another year of rewriting and editing etc before it was fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pnkker

It will probably be easier to sell. There's a lot more non-fiction being published than fiction, and not nearly as many people writing it.

The first draft took me about three months to write, but it took another year of rewriting and editing etc before it was fit for purpose.

Thank you for the tips. Also did you do something special for the promotion.

I got a lot of publicity in the newspapers, (I actually has someone stop me and ask for my autograph) but I've discovered that's not useful unless you have a print book. For an e-book, you need publicity where people can click a link immediately.

Advertisement