Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Deere 10 series

• 20-06-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

In the process of a buying a 100/110 HP tractor. Was looking at NH TS but going for big money. Was considering a JD 10 series. Don't know much about JD but have always heard they are expensive to repair? Any thing to look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

New kubotas look alri but I wouldn't buy one because they don't have a name like the John Deere have but there grand for yardwork toppin Rollin spreadin slurry and drawin cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭roosterman71

mjcom4d wrote: »
    New kubotas look alri but I wouldn't buy one because they don't have a name like the John Deere have but there grand for yardwork toppin Rollin spreadin slurry and drawin cattle

Not really what the OP asked :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Anything to look out for ? Answer your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I have a JD 6110 with a JD 551 loader on it with the last 3 years. She has caused me no problems really.
    I had to replace the injector pump last year (800 euro with labour) and the syncro is gone on D so i can only travel at about 20mph.
    The injector was probably a combination of dirty diesel and not changeing the filter every 6 months.
    The syncro is annoying but all the farm is in one block so i only need it to collect sand or gravel of fix something. But i would only have to go on the road once a month so i'm in no rush to fix till next year.

She is comfortable and quiet and ok on diesel so i would probably go JD again (until i get a quote on a replacement and trade in:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Had a 6610, now hav a 6910. Both were very reliable just things you'd get with any machine like a worn out altenator, never anything major only part of frront suspension wears heavily. Always been done just for parts as it's a known issue. In general are known as most reliable deere's and one of the most reliable machiones ever, if it's done alot of trailer work may need new brakes ever 5kish hrs to prevent any issues with gear boxes/hydraulic oil !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

5live wrote: »
    I have a JD 6110 with a JD 551 loader on it with the last 3 years. She has caused me no problems really.
    I had to replace the injector pump last year (800 euro with labour) and the syncro is gone on D so i can only travel at about 20mph.

Injector pump going, wouldn't expect it but it can happen if diesel dirty. Synchro going in gearbox, i would consider very poor going for a modern tractor. :eek: All in all 5live, i'd class those as bad problems!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Just on the injector pumps - It really is important to have very clean diesel with modern diesel systems. The company I work for, work very closely with a leading manufacturer of the new diesel injection systems (common rail). I've heard it said that, they even have different systems based on the local quality of the diesel fuel. Systems produced for South america, africa etc would be more tolerant to smaller dirt particles etc. Performance, emmisions wouldnt be as good though.;)

Yep +1 on the new common rail systems. We had fierce trouble with a JCB teleporter last summer and it all stemmed from bad quality diesel. Weren't even allowed to crack open an injector to bleed it. In the end we got some class of an additive to mix in with each tank of diesel and that sorted that problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Yep +1 on the new common rail systems. We had fierce trouble with a JCB teleporter last summer and it all stemmed from bad quality diesel. Weren't even allowed to crack open an injector to bleed it. In the end we got some class of an additive to mix in with each tank of diesel and that sorted that problem
    you ever seen this stuff called "ad blue" been advertised, I think its some sort of additive, always wondered what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

There also seems to be some horror stories with the SLE box on the New Hollands! Very expensive to repair?

• Advertisement

Injector pump going, wouldn't expect it but it can happen if diesel dirty. Synchro going in gearbox, i would consider very poor going for a modern tractor. :eek: All in all 5live, i'd class those as bad problems!!
    Well it was an issue because i knew she did a lot of road work before hand but as i am rarely on the road it doesnt bother me much. A bit like having a 50kph tractor but not much use if she is only spreading fert. Might go at it with a neighbour in the autumn if he has time so its not a problem (unless it goes in C;))

The AdBlue is injected into the exhaust on some of the modern engines to reduce the NOx emissions. (Think its mainly NH that uses it) Its an exhaust after-treatment process, sort of analogous to the particle filter on diesel cars

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

5live wrote: »
    Well it was an issue because i knew she did a lot of road work before hand but as i am rarely on the road it doesnt bother me much. A bit like having a 50kph tractor but not much use if she is only spreading fert. Might go at it with a neighbour in the autumn if he has time so its not a problem (unless it goes in C;))

5Live, what is the significance of 'C'?

C range in the gearbox - unless the synchro goes on those gears too

4 ranges in the JD A,B,C & D from slow to fast and each is split in 4 again. So i have lost the 4 fastest gears (for now anyway:D).

If it was a new tractor i would be concerned, vincenzo lorenzo, but she is 9 years old so things will start to go. C'est la vie:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

The AdBlue is injected into the exhaust on some of the modern engines to reduce the NOx emissions. (Think its mainly NH that uses it) Its an exhaust after-treatment process, sort of analogous to the particle filter on diesel cars

Other type is by using a system called scr, to re-burn some of the exhaust emmisions.. new deere 30 series's use this and giv awful trouble with egr valves in exhaust, cokes up with sutt and shyte causing a fault and put tractor into 'limp' mode iirc.
    Basicaly newer machines use much more fuel, generaly giv less raw power, cause much more hassel with engines going bad!! and and costs an awful lot more!, All in the name of emmisions :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 supermajor

Wigster wrote: »
    In the process of a buying a 100/110 HP tractor. Was looking at NH TS but going for big money. Was considering a JD 10 series. Don't know much about JD but have always heard they are expensive to repair? Any thing to look out for?

If your looking to buy in that hp range your talking the 6410. A farmers machine so you'd expect that it would be more minded than a 6cyl 6610 which would be more popular with contractors. The contractor i work for has one, great machine. Better than newer ones. Diesel pumps tend to give up (did this both in the 6610 and 6910) but used truck diesel pumps to fix it. Other than that the brakes went so bits of brakes ended up bloking hy filters. After changin brakes filters had to be changed 2or 3times before the oil was clear. :eek:
    Front suspension (TLS) i would highly recommend. If buying from a dealer try and get them to do the brakes that way u'll avoid any annoyin break downs.:D Best of luck with the purchase

Advertisement