Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would the following work cost if I hired someone

Options
  • 20-06-2011 12:46am

I'm looking to get the garden sorted, I've given up trying remedial work as I'm fighting a losing battle and want to start again from scratch.

The site is 0.8 acre and the house / driveway / garage takes approx 40% of that. The garden is all grass, however it looks like grass seed was never sown so its crap bits of grass and weeds.

I'm posting here in the hope there are some in the trade who frequent this board and might be able to give me some ballpark figure so that I know how much cash I'll have to get together

I'm looking for the following to be done
    - rotovate the whole lawn
    - a few loads of top soil
    - rake it all out
    - seed it

Also, what kind of time frame would this take

Comments

forgot to add, the reason I'm not taking this on myself is my back. I can handle some gardening, but this is too much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I would think you are looking at approx 2.5k...based on my recent experience...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Hi DaCor
    I was quoted €1800 to get my garden rotovated, levelled, seeded, 4 tonnes of topsoil and 2 Land drains put in. My garden would be approx 140 sq metres.
    Most of the cost was in the labour.

If I didn't need the drainage then I could have knocked at least €700 off that price.
    I decided to do the job myself but like you I have a very bad back and am regretting taking it on now as it is back breaking work. Shop around on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

I'm looking to get the garden sorted, I've given up trying remedial work as I'm fighting a losing battle and want to start again from scratch.

The site is 0.8 acre and the house / driveway / garage takes approx 40% of that. The garden is all grass, however it looks like grass seed was never sown so its crap bits of grass and weeds.

I'm posting here in the hope there are some in the trade who frequent this board and might be able to give me some ballpark figure so that I know how much cash I'll have to get together

I'm looking for the following to be done
    - rotovate the whole lawn
    - a few loads of top soil
    - rake it all out
    - seed it

Also, what kind of time frame would this take

I would recommend to try and get a local farmer who would be more than delighted to do it for less than a trade landscaper. I would recommend spraying the whole lawn 1st (eg. roundup 35-50e). I got a farmer last year to run a rotovate and run a stone burier/roller over a similar sized area- 100e. Then all is required is the grass seed (c.4 bags of lawn seed = 25-40e each depending on the quality. Then keep your fingers crossed it rains or else watering maybe required for the 1st few weeks. By the end of the summer the lawn should be established, you may need to rake and reseed any bare patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Apologies on my first post if it frightened you...slip of the fingers...quote was 1,500....
    so 1800 quote would sound in or around as you need topsoil also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Im sure some students would love some work on the side for a few days if your not up to its yourself physically.

thanks folks for the responses.

there's no way I can afford that kind of cash

guess I'll just have to stick with what I have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

howdy - I would say the following - you probably don't need topsoil... spray the grass/weeds, when dead ask a local farmer to plough it up then pick the large stones yourself.. get the farmer then to harrow it and then re pick the big stones yourself again, get him to harrow it again and then hire a stone raker - I got a nearly half acre done this way for €150 basically that's all it cost your man to come out and use the stone raker for the day he also collected all the stones in a barrow and dumped them at the back of the site, he also raked and sowed the seed too (seed cost €70 extra).. i gave him 170 cause he had to come back for 2 hours the next day.. get the farmer to roll it afterwards if its not too soft for a tractor or roll it yourself with a little roller you can hire...

Believe me this is the best cheapest way to do a big area.. i'll send you on that fella's details with the stone raker if you want

Good luck
    MC

please do, I would appreciate it

Advertisement