Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final results

Options
  • 20-06-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I really wish they'd appear - they're due on the 20th (today).

Basically I appealed (in a non-official way) a module grade and I really want to see how it ended up...hope they're up soon as opposed to like 4.59PM. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

same with me, need to know if I compensated or not, hurry up UCD! though in fairness they did give them to us pretty fast

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

They're up now, I checked when I got up. I haven't a clue how long they've been up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Yep they're up now! Woo my fail grade got bumped up to a pass....in total I received 55 out of 60 credits - very happy! (well, I'm a first year after all :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Grade in Intro to Calculus went up for some reason. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Ugh, taking Computer Science BA instead of BSc was one of the worst decisions ever. Would have gotten a 1st in BSc but am on a 2.2 as a BA student as it averages Stage 2 and 3 credits (despite dropping all arts modules in 2nd year). :/ Yaay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Fack .02 away from a 2.1. Appeals time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Just thought I'd post this up about the appeals procedure for anyone interested:

** N.B. Appeals will only be accepted on the basis of FINAL results. You cannot appeal appeal a provisional result. The final date for receipt of Semester 2 2010/11 applications is NOON, TUESDAY 20th JULY 2011**

The appeals procedure established by the Academic Council for making an appeal against the result of an assessment may be described as follows:

If you have grounds, you may appeal against the results of any assessment. In this context, the term ‘assessment' may mean a written examination script, a thesis or term paper, an oral assessment or any other part of the assessment process.

The appeals process must be initiated within 30 days of the result of the assessment being made available to you on the web or otherwise.

You must have adequate grounds for an appeal. The acceptable grounds may be summarised as:

Irregularity
    i) There is evidence of substantive irregularity in the conduct of the assessment process. An irregularity might be, for example, a significant error on the exam paper or misleading directions given before or during the assessment.

Extenuating Circumstances
    ii) In the first instance, appeals of this nature must be dealt with at School level by submitting an Extenuating Circumstances Form to the Programme Office. The Assessment Appeals Office can only accept an appeal on this basis if it has already been dealt with by the Programme Examination Board (PEB) or by the Dean. Appeals of this nature can be accepted if the PEB did not appreciate the seriousness of the extenuating circumstances OR if the Dean rejected your extenuating circumstances application because you did not submit the form on time and the Dean did not consider your reason for late submission to be valid.
    In the context of an appeal, extenuating circumstances refer to a serious and unforeseen event in which you suffered from an illness or some personal or family trauma around the time of the assessment of which the examiners were unaware. You must have original medical certificates / police reports (etc.) to support your case and the illness or trauma must be shown to have affected you in the assessment itself or in the period immediately leading up to it.

Incorrect grade
    iii) Following the findings of the School’s examination review process, a claim is made, on stated grounds, that the grade awarded is incorrect. An appeal on these grounds can only be made after you have contacted the school responsible for the assessment, inspected your script, seen how marks or grades were awarded and had your examination grade/mark explained to you by an examiner, preferably the module coordinator. An appeal based on this ground will require a coherent letter of appeal which is specific in terms of which parts of the assessment you know were marked incorrectly and which fully outlines the academic reasons why this is so. Drafting an appropriate letter to appeal on this ground will take some time and effort.

Please note, that appeals on the basis of Grade Point Average (GPA) will not be considered. Being close to a higher GPA is not a ground for appeal and such appeal applications will be returned.

In order to lodge the appeal you must send the following to the Assessment Appeals Office:
    a. Completed Assessment Appeal form (available to download here)
    b. Appeal letter setting out, in detail, the grounds for your appeal
    c. Original medical evidence (if applicable)
    d. €75 fee per module

Send the application form, your letter of appeal, medical evidence if applicable and the fee (per module), to the Assessment Appeals Office. The money may be as a cheque, postal order or bank draft made payable to the UCD Assessment Appeals Office. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ALL INCOMPLETE APPEAL APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED AND WILL BE POSTED BACK TO THE APPELLANT.

When the completed appeal is received in the Appeals Office it will follow this procedure.

Click here for the Assessment Appeals form.

Good luck to all appealing, and remember you're appealing not because you're close to a higher grade, but because the paper was marked harshly ;)

Considering appealing but it'd be just the final GPA not any individual grade so it might be pointless. Just pretty annoying that someone could have taken the exact same classes as me the past 3 years, got 0.2GPA lower than me in everything and still get a 1st because they're BSc. :pac:

Nichololas wrote: »
    Considering appealing but it'd be just the final GPA not any individual grade so it might be pointless. Just pretty annoying that someone could have taken the exact same classes as me the past 3 years, got 0.2GPA lower than me in everything and still get a 1st because they're BSc. :pac:

You won't be able to appeal your overall GPA unless its for exceptional circumstances. If you are looking to bump up your GPA you'll have to appeal individual results, and with reasons other than 'I want a first :P'.

Also, what degree are you doing? I wasn't aware that there were courses that had different standards for your GPA in relation to your Degree award.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

€75 per module :eek:.You would have to be pretty confident that your appeal(s) would turn out to be in your favour.

• Advertisement

Hence the fee, it is to discourage frivolous appeals. It costs them a lot of money to process an appeal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Fack .02 away from a 2.1. Appeals time.

How in this day and age does anyone not get at least a 2:1?

You'd almost have to try to intentionally get a 2:2 in UCD.

LUPE wrote: »
    How in this day and age does anyone not get at least a 2:1?

You'd almost have to try to intentionally get a 2:2 in UCD.

What are you basing that on? And why do you feel the need to take a swipe at another poster, for no particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Mine didn't change yay I guess.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    You won't be able to appeal your overall GPA unless its for exceptional circumstances. If you are looking to bump up your GPA you'll have to appeal individual results, and with reasons other than 'I want a first :P'.

Also, what degree are you doing? I wasn't aware that there were courses that had different standards for your GPA in relation to your Degree award.

Computer Science BSc is calculated just on final year, BA on all 180 credits from stage 2 and 3. I can understand the reasoning for it as usually you'd complete the Arts part of your degree in 3rd year, but I was BA in name only as I dropped my minor in Arts way back in 2nd year and then took the compulsory CS modules I'd missed from 1st and 2nd years. Basically I should have transferred into the BSc programme when I dropped all my Arts classes. Bah.

Nichololas wrote: »
    Computer Science BSc is calculated just on final year, BA on all 180 credits from stage 2 and 3. I can understand the reasoning for it as usually you'd complete the Arts part of your degree in 3rd year, but I was BA in name only as I dropped my minor in Arts way back in 2nd year and then took the compulsory CS modules I'd missed from 1st and 2nd years. Basically I should have transferred into the BSc programme when I dropped all my Arts classes. Bah.

Ah right, I thought you were saying that your degree used a different GPA equivalent for a 2.1, 2.2 etc.

Thanks for explaining that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Doesn't BA Comp Sci have an optional 4th year of just CS? Or has that been done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

All of the BA comp sci students in my class (including Nichololas I believe) did only computer science modules for their final year but it still counts as a BA resulting in the average of the previous 2 years being combined with their final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Keep it on topic folks, I've already explained LUPEs situation to him off thread, and as you can see that post earned an infraction.

My results are unchanged from the provisional, so I get a 2.1 on my piece of paper come September. Hurray!

Advertisement