Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Nest - Who is responsible

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering who is responsible for a wasp nest in a rented house. A nest discovered in the attic and I am just wondering is it normally the landlord who would be responsible for its removal or is that up to the tenant. Particularly if it requires removal by a professional service, cost etc...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Uriel. wrote: »
    Just wondering who is responsible for a wasp nest in a rented house.

I'd say that the wasps are responsible. :D
    A nest discovered in the attic and I am just wondering is it normally the landlord who would be responsible for its removal or is that up to the tenant. Particularly if it requires removal by a professional service, cost etc...

I would say that this would be down to the tenant. You can buy wasp spray/wasp powder that can be very effective. It doesn't have to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Try to get rid of the wasps yourself. If you cannot manage to do this then it is the Landlords responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd say that the wasps are responsible. :D

LOL - should have seen this one coming :o:o

Must remember to construct better sentences in the future
    I would say that this would be down to the tenant. You can buy wasp spray/wasp powder that can be very effective. It doesn't have to be expensive.

cool, is this kinda thing dangerous - as in spraying a nest in a confined place like the attic... will I be swarmed with wasps within seconds??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

You can get "bomb" type devices where you pull a pin and have a short delay before it actives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hi all,

Just wondering who is responsible for a wasp nest in a rented house. A nest discovered in the attic and I am just wondering is it normally the landlord who would be responsible for its removal or is that up to the tenant. Particularly if it requires removal by a professional service, cost etc...

Thanks.

Had this issue although they had nested in the eves.
    I organised terminator or whatever you call them and ladnlord reimbursed me.

I don't think this should be responsibility of tenant.
    Did tenant invite wasps in ?
    Penguino wrote: »
    Try to get rid of the wasps yourself. If you cannot manage to do this then it is the Landlords responsibility

I hope to God you are not advising OP to try do it themselves. :(
    What makes this more dodgy is they are in attic.

Have you ever seen the affects of wasp stings.
    My father once discovered wasps nest in hayshed and end result of his efforts to get rid of them was a trip to doctor and A&E as he got stung on lip.
    He looked like he had gone 10 rounds with both Mike Tyson and Mohammed Ali.

Unless you have idea what you are doing get a professional exterminator.
    They might only charge 100 euro but better than the pain.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

cool, is this kinda thing dangerous - as in spraying a nest in a confined place like the attic... will I be swarmed with wasps within seconds??

The powder is fine. You only need to get it on a few, and they spread it in the nest.

I don't think wasps swarm (not like bees). But, I wouldn't spray without a face mask, especially in a confined area.

I sprayed at the outside, where they were going in towards the nest (on the outside bricks of my apt). Took 2-3 goes, but within 2 weeks they weren't coming and going any more.

If you want a professional to do it, then have a word with the landlord. I'm sure an agreement can be sorted.
    jmayo wrote: »

Did the landlord invite the wasps in? Were they in before you took tenancy of the unit?

In fairness, it's not a major task/issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

jmayo wrote: »
    Had this issue although they had nested in the eves.
    I organised terminator or whatever you call them and ladnlord reimbursed me.

Jaysus that's a bit extreme!!!

I'd say it would be the landlords resposibility. It it the responisibility of the landlord to ensure the premises is in good, liveable, safe condition.

A wasp nest in the attic would certainly not be considered safe or liveable IMO

Even if you arrange to the extermination, and the LL reimburses, fine.

But do something about it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you do have a go yourself, wear thick clothes and one of those disposable boiler suits.

I've had to do this a couple of times and they never swarmed or stung. At least with the boiler suit you can take it off straight away and be sure there aren't any stray wasps in your pocket or hood.

I used an expanding foam wasp killer, took two goes a few days apart but they disappeared after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I would contact the LL and have him do something about it. If you tackle it yourself and he doesn't reimburse you because you should have let him sort it then what? Or if it all goes T**s up and you end up making the problem worse you could be well out of pocket trying to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus that's a bit extreme!!!

Well they might have been cyborg wasps. ;)

hardCopy wrote: »
    If you do have a go yourself, wear thick clothes and one of those disposable boiler suits.

I've had to do this a couple of times and they never swarmed or stung. At least with the boiler suit you can take it off straight away and be sure there aren't any stray wasps in your pocket or hood.

I used an expanding foam wasp killer, took two goes a few days apart but they disappeared after that.

One thing OP needs to know before they attempt any extermination, are they allergic to wasp/bee stings.
    And if they are and still feeling brave, then they should stock up with an adrenaline epipen.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

kill_it_with_fire_RE_When_memes_collide-s670x394-93334.jpg

Failing that I can recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Its the Landlords problem (well its your problem but the L/L has to deal with it) :D

It is in the letting agency I work for anyway and we are very into L/L - Tenant Rights.

If a wasp nest is found and we manage the property we send a pest control out and charge the L/L

Advertisement