Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab PSU/Info

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭

As someone who is new to the whole candy cab scene and is eagerly awaiting delivery of my first candy cab (Egret 3) from Ronnie I have a very simple question.

What's the story with power for the cab?
    As in, does it come with a 110v or 220v PSU(or a dual psu?) and is it a 2 prong or standard 3 prong type plug.

Very basic stuff I know but I just need to know if I should be buying some adapters/power converters before it arrives.
    I'd hate for it to arrive and not be able to get it up a running because I stupidly didn't have all the bits I needed.

Am I forgetting about anything else? Do I need to sacrifice a small chicken to make sure it all boots up ok the first time
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

110v - so you will need a stepup convertor. If buying from Ronnie, he'll give you a european one, which will be a euro 2 pin plug, of which you can rewire into a normal 3 pin plug. Otherwise you can force the 2 pin plug into a socket over here, with a bit of fiddling, but its not recommended.

I'll actually be throwing up a new thread shortly with a short video - should explain a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

ondafly wrote: »
    110v - so you will need a stepup convertor. If buying from Ronnie, he'll give you a european one, which will be a euro 2 pin plug, of which you can rewire into a normal 3 pin plug. Otherwise you can force the 2 pin plug into a socket over here, with a bit of fiddling, but its not recommended.

I'll actually be throwing up a new thread shortly with a short video - should explain a few things.

Yeah, a video would be brilliant. If you could show the way the internals are hooked up that would be a big help as well.

I'm not to worried about the 2 pin plug as I have a million euro adapters lying around. So if Ronnie stuck a stepup converter in I'm happy enough.

I broke the news to my girlfriend last night that I bought a cab and it will here soon. She was like "oh, ok, cool" so that went well I reckon.

The trip I booked her back home to Italy next month might have helped a bit as well :D

On another not, how long did delivery take for your cab from Ronnieland?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, a video would be brilliant. If you could show the way the internals are hooked up that would be a big help as well.

I'm not to worried about the 2 pin plug as I have a million euro adapters lying around. So if Ronnie stuck a stepup converter in I'm happy enough.

I broke the news to my girlfriend last night that I bought a cab and it will here soon. She was like "oh, ok, cool" so that went well I reckon.

The trip I booked her back home to Italy next month might have helped a bit as well :D

On another not, how long did delivery take for your cab from Ronnieland?

did you specify the convertor ? as he charges for them ? otherwise he will assume you don't want one.

I think the delivery took 2 weeks ? I was able to track it etc, but it slowed right down once it got to Ireland sadly. It came on a pallet as well, in a huge box, taller than a fridge. It would be best to have a mate help you with it, but they are easy enough to move about.

did you specify the convertor ? as he charges for them ? otherwise he will assume you don't want one.

I think the delivery took 2 weeks ? I was able to track it etc, but it slowed right down once it got to Ireland sadly. It came on a pallet as well, in a huge box, taller than a fridge. It would be best to have a mate help you with it, but they are easy enough to move about.

Yeah, I did say to him about the psu and that I needed it to work in Ireland etc. If not its not the end of the world as I have a stepup converter i use for consoles that I can use while getting another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'll need a step DOWN converter, not a step up! That's not a mistake you want to make :p

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You'll need a step DOWN converter, not a step up! That's not a mistake you want to make :p

Ha, yeah. Not a mistake you want to make alright.

Is it worthwhile hooking up Xbox 360 to the cab or will I just stick with the Jamma/PC setup I'm planning.
    Not sure I'd fit a 360 in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lol I was thinking the same, important difference. :)

I'm not sure if ondafly has his 360 inside the cab but when you have that PC mounted sideways along with it's PSU, the step down along with the standard hardware in there - there's isn't a huge amount of space left for a 360 or it's power brick. Not sure how you would switch displays between the pc and xbox unless there's some auto-switching VGA switch thingy you can get. :)

I guess I misunderstood the term 110 - 220 , as in going up :D

I wouldn't bother having everything jammed in there at once. But you will happily fit each of them in there on there own with the necessary bits and bobs.

Think long term though - I'm in the process of getting my Dual Strike2 PCBs wired up, and this will then give me plug and play for the control panels on PC/PS3/XBOX/XBOX360 etc (I'll be doing a video up on this), I have the audio covered through the logitech 2.1 and VGA input on the monitor.

I guess I misunderstood the term 110 - 220 , as in going up :D

I wouldn't bother having everything jammed in there at once. But you will happily fit each of them in there on there own with the necessary bits and bobs.

Think long term though - I'm in the process of getting my Dual Strike2 PCBs wired up, and this will then give me plug and play for the control panels on PC/PS3/XBOX/XBOX360 etc (I'll be doing a video up on this), I have the audio covered through the logitech 2.1 and VGA input on the monitor.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to figure it all out when it arrives.

I guess I could fit a PC and 360 in there if I really wanted to.
    The pc will be just a motherboard and parts and I could strip the 360 down to the same. Would need to sort out some active cooling system as well if I did that.

I think I'll be happy with my Hyperspin setup on a PC with the option to switch back to jamma based games if i like. 360 is not at the top of my list anyway.

Another quick question on candy cabs.

In Japan when you go into the arcades and they have loads of candy cabs, you'll see a selection of them that have been converted to stand up play rather than sit down (I've seen an erget 2 and I think an astro city done this way).

They seem to use some sort of riser stand for them and they look like each stand is made for each different cab.
    Anyone ever get/make one of these stands?

• Advertisement

This is a cheap and cheerful way to get what I want.
    But I don't want it to look like this :D

astros.jpg

Not being funny but why would you want to do that in the first place? Standing or using a high stool with a sit down cab?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not being funny but why would you want to do that in the first place? Standing or using a high stool with a sit down cab?

Some people like to stand up when playing arcade games. Or sit on a normal tall bar style stool.
    Not saying I do but I was just wondering if anyone here had that setup and if it actually worked well.

Ah fair enough, just curious.

Just came across this link that answered a few of my questions.
    http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_Candy_Cabs

It's basic but handy none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What price are the candy cabs from this guy, interested in getting rid of my own for one of these

What price are the candy cabs from this guy, interested in getting rid of my own for one of these

He has them at different prices for different models.

You should email him and ask what he has in stock. He'll reply with what he has and how much for it (usually 499 euros to 899 euros depending on what model and any upgrades or extras you get off him). Shipping is set at 240 euros so add that on top of everything.

Does anyone have any of the multi jamma/mvs boards/carts from:
    http://www.arcademachines.ie/shopping/index.php?cPath=40

Are they basically just a mini pc emulating the games?

I've had a look online and the reviews of the boards are pretty bad and people seem to be giving out about the slowness and low framerate of them.

It's a pity as the game lists on some of them are pretty great. The "Blue Elf 2 Jamma Cart" has a pretty nice game list and I'd like to buy the games instead of always pirating them with MAME etc. But I reckon my Hyperspin PC is 10 times more powerful than these multi game boards.

Maybe just buy the multi game board and play the games on Hyperspin, guilt free if you will :)

Thought??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've had a look online and the reviews of the boards are pretty bad and people seem to be giving out about the slowness and low framerate of them.

It's a pity as the game lists on some of them are pretty great. The "Blue Elf 2 Jamma Cart" has a pretty nice game list and I'd like to buy the games instead of always pirating them with MAME etc. But I reckon my Hyperspin PC is 10 times more powerful than these multi game boards.

Maybe just buy the multi game board and play the games on Hyperspin, guilt free if you will :)

Thought??

Afaik those multigame boards are pirating too.
    That's as far as I can gather, there's no talk allowed of them on some of the US sites.
    The 60 in 1 boards are suppose to be good

Afaik those multigame boards are pirating too.
    That's as far as I can gather, there's no talk allowed of them on some of the US sites

I suppose it was asking a bit much to have all the licenses for all those games for €130.

• Advertisement

Thought??

I have the 150 in 1 MVS cart (got it from that site I think) and it works fine via MVS 1 Slot + supergun. Yeah the 1xxx in 1 jobbies are basically mini pc's, they work fine for what they are. However your HS setup would be much more capable and flexible.

Guilt? Meh. :pac:

I have the 150 in 1 MVS cart (got it from that site I think) and it works fine via MVS 1 Slot + supergun. Yeah the 1xxx in 1 jobbies are basically mini pc's, they work fine for what they are. However your HS setup would be much more capable and flexible.

Guilt? Meh. :pac:

Yeah, I'd like to get a few proper jamm/mvs games as well as using the hyperspin setup. I suppose ebay would be the best bet for those?

Did you have a go of the mini hyperspin setup, working ok for you?

Master of the Universe

MVS carts are the easiest way of collecting original arcade boards and I couldn't recommend them enough. Just make sure the MVS system you get can fit in your candy, as the multi slot ones are pretty big!

MVS carts are the easiest way of collecting original arcade boards and I couldn't recommend them enough. Just make sure the MVS system you get can fit in your candy, as the multi slot ones are pretty big!

Well its an Egret 3 candy so its the same as your Atomswave size wise.
    Would I fit a multi slot one in with a mini pc in there?

Yeah, I'd like to get a few proper jamm/mvs games as well as using the hyperspin setup. I suppose ebay would be the best bet for those?

Did you have a go of the mini hyperspin setup, working ok for you?

Yeah the usual places for PCBs, now that would be impressive if The Rage started stocking them! :)

Plugged it into the PC that night just to see it running - pleasantly surprised to see RS there, will save me mucking about with the original. Thanks again dude for that stuff. That GB player really is in great nick, the VIP points still untouched even. :)

Yeah the usual places for PCBs, now that would be impressive if The Rage started stocking them! :)

Plugged it into the PC that night just to see it running - pleasantly surprised to see RS there, will save me mucking about with the original. Thanks again dude for that stuff. That GB player really is in great nick, the VIP points still untouched even. :)

Well, when I say something is in as new condition I mean it :)

Yeah, I played a fair bit of RS on that mini setup.

I'm not sure you would, here's a pic of the inside, your PC will go on the board to the side with some space at the back and behind the metal case. I have my step down back there and along with a pc PSU there isn't a huge amount left. I remember o1s1n posting a pic of his mutli-slot and it was huge I think. :)

Btw are going micro-ATX with your pc?

Master of the Universe

I have a 6 slot MVS board left over from my big woody. I haven't tried to fit it into the Atomiswave yet, but would imagine it's not going to work.

I'd say if you had all of your PC components nailed to one of those boards inside the cab you might be able to fit a 4 slot in beside it.

Master of the Universe

I'm not sure you would, here's a pic of the inside, your PC will go on the board to the side with some space at the back and behind the metal case. I have my step down back there and along with a pc PSU there isn't a huge amount left. I remember o1s1n posting a pic of his mutli-slot and it was huge I think. :)

Btw are going micro-ATX with your pc?

Jesus, it really is a tight little space isn't it?

I guess it depends how anal you are about having a tidy setup! I'd have no issue with running a JAMMA extension harness outside of the machine to connect up boards that way. I know others would think that's sacrilege :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah it is pretty compact alright.

Unless you had a really long one you'd have to run it out the front door so as long as you didn't kick it while playing it would work fine (we still talking about cabs here yeah? :pac:). Chances are you do that anyway while testing boards or whatever.

Advertisement