Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab PSU/Info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »

Btw are going micro-ATX with your pc?

Yeah, I'm building the system on a Asus Rampage III micro atx board.

Yeah it is pretty compact alright.

Unless you had a really long one you'd have to run it out the front door so as long as you didn't kick it while playing it would work fine (we still talking about cabs here yeah? :pac:). Chances are you do that anyway while testing boards or whatever.

I'm feeling very immature today, sorry.

It must be all the talk of candy cabs and such.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jesus, it really is a tight little space isn't it?

I guess it depends how anal you are about having a tidy setup! I'd have no issue with running a JAMMA extension harness outside of the machine to connect up boards that way. I know others would think that's sacrilege :pac:

Must be something in the water today. :D

Anyone know where I can grab a nice 4 slot MVS board for my soon to be candy cab?

I had a look on eBay and they have loads of MVS games but only the one 4 slot board that wont ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Must be something in the water today. :D

Andrew76, forever bringing down the tone :p

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can grab a nice 4 slot MVS board for my soon to be candy cab?

I had a look on eBay and they have loads of MVS games but only the one 4 slot board that wont ship to Ireland.

Ebay France for some reason has always been good for MVS hardware. I saw a nice 4 slot a while ago there going for pretty cheap. Should have bought it!

Here's a lovely one. Looks like it's been powder coated. It says he only ships to the UK, but I'd imagine Ireland is probably included in that -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neo-Geo-MVS-Jamma-MVH-SLOT4-motherboard-USED-/120738610228?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item1c1c94fc34

• Advertisement

Andrew76, forever bringing down the tone :p

Ebay France for some reason has always been good for MVS hardware. I saw a nice 4 slot a while ago there going for pretty cheap. Should have bought it!

Here's a lovely one. Looks like it's been powder coated. It says he only ships to the UK, but I'd imagine Ireland is probably included in that -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neo-Geo-MVS-Jamma-MVH-SLOT4-motherboard-USED-/120738610228?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item1c1c94fc34

Cheers, I contacted that guy in the UK and he wont ship to Ireland :(

Will keep an eye on ebay France and see what comes up.
    Really didn't think it would be that hard to get one of these.

Master of the Universe

He won't ship it? That's a shame :(

It's really not hard to get them at all. Just seems to be a bit of a drought on ebay at the moment!

He won't ship it? That's a shame :(

It's really not hard to get them at all. Just seems to be a bit of a drought on ebay at the moment!

Would I be right in saying that the MVS system just connects to the Jamma harness and your more or less good to go? Doing a bit of research on it last night and thats all I can see that you have to do.

I'm going to get a few classic games on Jamma as well as the MVS system and that will do me for a while I think, as well as my Hyperspin setup of course.

Would I be right in saying that the MVS system just connects to the Jamma harness and your more or less good to go? Doing a bit of research on it last night and thats all I can see that you have to do.

I'm not sure it's that simple, don't you need to be careful with the stereo sound output? The pinouts are slightly different too I think. Have a read of the MVS FAQ and PCB Guide on www.hardmvs.com, some great info on that site. You might or might not need an mvs to jamma adapter like this one.

Master of the Universe

I'm not sure it's that simple, don't you need to be careful with the stereo sound output? The pinouts are slightly different too I think. Have a read of the MVS FAQ and PCB Guide on www.hardmvs.com, some great info on that site. You might or might not need an mvs to jamma adapter like this one.

Yep, you're right there. It's just the stereo sound out that's different. I (think) over time it does something to the sound amps. Have heard of people using that setup without any problem at all though.

This is only applicable for the multi slot boards. The 1 slot MVS boards are 100% JAMMA. If you're getting a multi slot board then best to also get one of those MVS to JAMMA adapters just to err on the side of caution. Got one myself a while ago..it fixed a sound issue I was having with my 6 slot.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, I'll pick one up so.

Now all I need is the 4 slot board itself. 6 slot is to big for what I want but I'd settle for a 2 slot if I could find one.

The search continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

as already said, you need to change pin 10 i think on the Jamma harness. Jamma is mono and 4-slot MVS is stereo. The original 1 slot MVS is mono, hence its Jamma compatible.

2 other things though.

1)
    MVS is 4 button for most fighting games - Jamma is 3 button, so you'll need to wire up a 4th button, not too big a deal if you have a kick harness already installed, but it will mean swopping wires about when changing between Jamma and MVS. Personally I've been managing fine with 3 buttons on MVS, as that covers the Metal Slug games, shmups and Puzzle games.

2) If you really want a 4 slot MVS up and running 100% - you are going to have wire in an additional "Select" button to change between each game.

ondafly wrote: »
    as already said, you need to change pin 10 i think on the Jamma harness. Jamma is mono and 4-slot MVS is stereo. The original 1 slot MVS is mono, hence its Jamma compatible.

2 other things though.

1)
    MVS is 4 button for most fighting games - Jamma is 3 button, so you'll need to wire up a 4th button, not too big a deal if you have a kick harness already installed, but it will mean swopping wires about when changing between Jamma and MVS. Personally I've been managing fine with 3 buttons on MVS, as that covers the Metal Slug games, shmups and Puzzle games.

2) If you really want a 4 slot MVS up and running 100% - you are going to have wire in an additional "Select" button to change between each game.

Yeah, I'd settle for a 1 or 2 slot MVS at this stage.

What's the best place to get all these little wires and adapters etc. I know of gremlin solutions and of course eBay but is there another UK source I'm missing?
    Arcademachines.ie don't really have that much which is a pity as they are Irish based.

Master of the Universe

You can run Neo Geo button 4 through the JAMMA harness. It's pin number c & 25.

A few sites posted here before that sell various bits n bobs:

http://www.arcadeshop.de
    http://www.jammaboards.com
    http://www.ultimarc.com/
    http://www.happcontrols.com/

Jammaboards and Ultimarc I've used and can vouch for, plan on ordering a bunch of stuff from arcadeshop.de soon too.

Master of the Universe

Hate to be quoting myself :D But just for anyone interested in how to wire Neo Geo through a JAMMA harness, here's PDF of the pinout -

hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

A few sites posted here before that sell various bits n bobs:

http://www.arcadeshop.de
    http://www.jammaboards.com
    http://www.ultimarc.com/
    http://www.happcontrols.com/

Jammaboards and Ultimarc I've used and can vouch for, plan on ordering a bunch of stuff from arcadeshop.de soon too.

You ever have any duty to pay on the stuff from jammaboards or ultimarc? I think both are based in the US.

I'll be picking up an arcadeVGA from ultimarc anyway. Pity they don't offer a more powerful card but it will do the job i Suppose.

theres a french company I've used for getting the proper connectors etc. StarCabs or something - thing is the shipping is fixed, from what I can make out, at a stupid 13euro. I'd be happy to jump onboard an order if one was going :D to save on shipping.

edit !

http://www.starcab.net/

You ever have any duty to pay on the stuff from jammaboards or ultimarc? I think both are based in the US.

I'll be picking up an arcadeVGA from ultimarc anyway. Pity they don't offer a more powerful card but it will do the job i Suppose.

Ultimarc are UK based, can't remember either way about duty sorry. It says the ArcadeVGA can run SFIV so that's good enough for me. :pac:
    You could always use a normal gfx card + soft15hz (not sure if W7 compatible) maybe.

but you'll have to disconnect it from your kick harness though ? right ? as in its not a simple plug and play solution ? ideally you want a board that takes the Jamma edge and kick connections , and converts the 2 of them together into a nice mvs connection

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

but you'll have to disconnect it from your kick harness though ? right ? as in its not a simple plug and play solution ? ideally you want a board that takes the Jamma edge and kick connections , and converts the 2 of them together into a nice mvs connection

Ah right! I didn't have a kick harness set up in my last cab. Just had button 4 and the Neo Geo select up and down scroll buttons wired directly to the JAMMA harness.

What kind of bios do I want in an MVS board?

Seems to be a few options on these things.

mines Japanese - means language in Japanese but more gore in games :D

you can fit a unibios - if you really want full flexibility on game settings.

Master of the Universe

I've yet to come across a Neo Geo game that suffers because it's in Japanese. Definitely go with that option.

Gore and bouncing girly parts FTW!

I came across this link recently that has some nice pics of the internals of the Atomiswave incase anyone is interested. The translation from French is a bit crap in places though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I've ordered from Jammaboards before. VERY quick delivery time and I didn't get charged any duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

theres a french company I've used for getting the proper connectors etc. StarCabs or something - thing is the shipping is fixed, from what I can make out, at a stupid 13euro. I'd be happy to jump onboard an order if one was going :D to save on shipping.

edit !

http://www.starcab.net/

I'm up for that, as soon as i find out what I need.:pac:

Regarding the xbox pad hack I figure I can wire all the wires from pad to a female 12 pin connector

The male end in the astro, can then be disconnected from the jamma female connector and connected to this new female if i wanna switch to xbox 360.

This should work shouldnt it??or is there another way I'm missing:confused:
    The 12 pin connectors have 3 spare(pins 9 10 and 11)-which should allow for button 4,5 and 6 on xbox controller. The rest of the pins will just line up with buttons 1,2,3,start and ground.

sega-cp-cabinet-pinout.jpg
    I will also need to just daisy chain the grounds on 4,5 and 6
    Only problem is when playing jamma six button I will have to remove quick disconnect from buttons and attach kick harness.

This should work shouldnt it??or is there another way I'm missing:confused:
    The 12 pin connectors have 3 spare(pins 9 10 and 11)-which should allow for button 4,5 and 6 on xbox controller. The rest of the pins will just line up with buttons 1,2,3,start and ground.

I will also need to just daisy chain the grounds on 4,5 and 6
    Only problem is when playing jamma six button I will have to remove quick disconnect from buttons and attach kick harness.

It should work alright - buy why not save the confusion, and just use the kick harness socket for the kick buttons on the xbox pads ? you will need to run 4 wires from each pad into that one plug and if your CP is already 6 button, it will have the male end ready to plug in.

Just found this site for ordering connectors and what not.

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/

Seems nice and cheap for shipping.
    I'm gonna go with them since starcabs are now on holidays for 2 weeks...
    Only prob is there is no 4 pin amp connectors for speakers

• Advertisement

I knew I wasn't thinking right.
    My cp only has 3 wires connected so that didn't occur to me.
    Thats the way to do it alright . I'll but a female kick harness connector and connect the wires from buttons 4 ,5 and 6 on pad hack to that.
    easy switch then
    Cheers man

Advertisement