Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candy Cab PSU/Info

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just found this site for ordering connectors and what not.

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/

Seems nice and cheap for shipping.
    I'm gonna go with them since starcabs are now on holidays for 2 weeks...
    Only prob is there is no 4 pin amp connectors for speakers

Forgot about that site, I ordered a PSU from them before with no hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've decided to go for a single slot MVS board(MV-1FZ) with a universe bios chip in it so i can change region and other cool stuff.
    MV-1FZ.jpg

I really like the option to switch between MVS and AES modes on the MVS games.

I'd like the 4 slot but its just to big and I have lots of stuff to fit in the cab as it is. Plus the single slot is 100% jamma so no problems there.

Universe BIOS & compatible MVS boards

Later on into the MVS's life, a talented coder named Razoola created the Universe BIOS. This is a replacement BIOS ROM chip for the NEOGEO MVS hardware. It is easily fitted in under 5 minutes to an MVS board with a socketed BIOS. All 2/4/6 slot motherboards have a BIOS socket so the BIOS is easily replaceable.
    With the 1 slots, some have a soldered BIOS and this means a Universe BIOS can not easily be fitted without first soldering in a socket, this is quite difficult unless you have a decent amount of skill soldering, personally I'd avoid doing this and go for a one slot motherboard that already has a BIOS socket, I have discussed which one slot models have this in the section above.

The Universe BIOS is a great addition to an MVS system, it allows you to switch the system between MVS and AES mode, the AES being the expensive home console version of the same hardware, this gives you access to training modes and options screens contained on the cart that you wouldn't normally see on a closed-off arcade cabinet. For example on fighting games it gives you a proper 2 player versus mode so you can choose your characters each round, instead of the 'winner stays on' you have if playing on a default MVS system.

The Universe BIOS also offers an in-game cheat menu and several preprogrammed cheats you can apply to make the game easier, unlock secret characters in fighting games, reset the system without needing to switch it off, etc. It also offers a better test menu with tweaked features, a secret menu acessable by holding the ABC buttons when you first switch the machine on where you can change the region of the machine from Japanese/US/Euro, as well as many other features including a jukebox so you can play your favourite tunes on the cartridge.

I've rattled on about its features enough, and to be honest there is a better explaination on the official site.

Universe BIOS homepage

It is cheap and a great addition to the MVS system, and also simple to fit, if you have an MVS board you'll probably want one.
    Unless you're a complete purist who prefers everything to be original, thats fine too!

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_SNK_Neo_Geo_MVS

I've also nabbed a "Robocop" Jamma board to try out as well for old times sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, a single slot is perfect. The games are easy enough to change..it's almost like sliding VHS tapes into a VCR ;)

Wish I hadn't sold my one off now...damn 6 slot was a mistake!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah yeah, a single slot is perfect. The games are easy enough to change..it's almost like sliding VHS tapes into a VCR ;)

Wish I hadn't sold my one off now...damn 6 slot was a mistake!

Yeah, the 6 slot would have been much to big for my cab with the guts of a PC in there. The 1 slot will fit perfectly.
    I have a 160 in 1 MVS cart that I got for nothing so that can go in there until I get some originals :D

Would I be right in saying that the trisync arcade monitors max out at 640x480? Some sources online seem to say you can run 800x600 without problems.
    I'm just thinking for hyperspin etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Steve SI wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that the trisync arcade monitors max out at 640x480? Some sources online seem to say you can run 800x600 without problems.
    I'm just thinking for hyperspin etc.

Would it still be considered a tri-sync monitor then ? 800x600 = WVGA

I'd be pretty wary running anything higher than 480p on the monitor. Best to review the actual specs for your monitor and go from there. The last thing you want to have to do, is replace it.

Regarding Hyperspin - there are other options for front ends, and a PC isn't necessarily the best. Don't forget a modified XBOX1 has some pretty nice frontends built for it already (although big at 25gigs), plus you will be able to play any of the fighters etc that appeared on the XBOX1

ondafly wrote: »
    Would it still be considered a tri-sync monitor then ? 800x600 = WVGA

I'd be pretty wary running anything higher than 480p on the monitor. Best to review the actual specs for your monitor and go from there. The last thing you want to have to do, is replace it.

Regarding Hyperspin - there are other options for front ends, and a PC isn't necessarily the best. Don't forget a modified XBOX1 has some pretty nice frontends built for it already (although big at 25gigs), plus you will be able to play any of the fighters etc that appeared on the XBOX1

Yeah, I think I'll stick with 640x480 for the Hyperspin setup. The original Xbox is not powerful enough for what I want so I'm building a high spec micro atx based PC for it(high spec except for the arcadeVGA card which is ok but no that beefy unfortunately). My Hyperspin setup comes in at 2TB+ so a PC is the way to go for me. The basic MAME hyperspin setup is only about 60GB but I have a lot of extras :D

I have those Xbox 1 frontends on my modded Xbox alright, some of them are nice actually (especially the new Xbox CoinOPS EPIC that was released a month or so ago)but as I waited so long to get myself an arcade machine I'm sparing no expense on this.

Is this any better than directly hooking up an Xbox 360 to the Arcade monitor?

Seems pricey for what it is.

x360tojamma.jpg
    THIS PCB ALLOW YOU TO USE YOUR XBOX 360 INTO YOUR STANDARD ARCADE CABINET.

- Converts XboX 360 as coin operation arcade game system
    - Built-in audio amplifier, it can drive the speaker directly
    - Exports high quality VGA signal which supports LCD and CRT monitors
    - Optional rebooting console function while time is out
    - Brightness/chroma/contrast on board adjustable
    - 2 coins enter devices supported
    - 2 players available, independent/share mode optional
    - Demo Sound On/off
    - Total coins amount display supported

http://bit.ly/jeoNyY

Ordered my NeoGeo MVS MV1-FZ today from Starcab as well as a few other bits and pieces.
    I'm fairly sure I paid over the odds for it but I really wanted it to be ready when the candy arrives. I paid €89 for it by the way :o

My 161 in 1 MVS cart will live in it until I get a more original games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Is this any better than directly hooking up an Xbox 360 to the Arcade monitor?

Seems pricey for what it is

http://bit.ly/jeoNyY

That is only useful if your monitor doesn't have a VGA connection and you don't know how to create the phono input (which I think you've both as you're getting an Egret). You will still need to do a pad hack as well for controls.
    Ordered my NeoGeo MVS MV1-FZ today from Starcab as well as a few other bits and pieces.
    I'm fairly sure I paid over the odds for it but I really wanted it to be ready when the candy arrives. I paid €89 for it by the way :o

My 161 in 1 MVS cart will live in it until I get a more original games for it.

good stuff - now look up the DIP switches for freeplay :cool:

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    That is only useful if your monitor doesn't have a VGA connection and you don't know how to create the phono input (which I think you've both as you're getting an Egret). You will still need to do a pad hack as well for controls.

good stuff - now look up the DIP switches for freeplay :cool:

Ahh, I see. He's charging enough for it thats for sure.

I got the unibios on the MVS board so I don't need dip switches I think as i can do it all from the menu as well as some other very cool stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Crap,have u guys ordered your stuff yet,i just read that you need female pins for male amp connetors and vice versa.god damn i,m gonna have loadsa female pins instead of males

Crap,have u guys ordered your stuff yet,i just read that you need female pins for male amp connetors and vice versa.god damn i,m gonna have loadsa female pins instead of males

Yeah, I stuck the order in earlier today.

Ah well cheers any way.
    I bought twelve male for some reason and 40 female pins!!
    I'll get one pad hooked up to the amp connectors anyway.

Ah well cheers any way.
    I bought twelve male for some reason and 40 female pins!!
    I'll get one pad hooked up to the amp connectors anyway.

Sure I don't have my cab yet so in sure I'll be sticking another order in for the stuff I forgot or stuff I didn't know I needed in a couple weeks time.

On another note, Anyone know what type of joysticks are on the Egret 3 control panel by default (sanwa,seimitsu etc) ?

Cheers,
    Can't wait that long though..13 euro shipping for 2 euros worth of goods it is:D
    If your buying of Ronnie I think it's luck of the draw what sticks are in it.
    If you ask him I'm sure he can change to your preference.
    Mine has Sanwa all the way:)

Cheers,
    Can't wait that long though..13 euro shipping for 2 euros worth of goods it is:D
    If your buying of Ronnie I think it's luck of the draw what sticks are in it.
    If you ask him I'm sure he can change to your preference.
    Mine has Sanwa all the way:)

My shipping was €19.20 from starcab. But it was a bit heavier than normal probably with the bits i got.

The Egret 3 control panel I'm getting from the ronster is factory fresh(ish). Either way it would be Sanwa or Seimitsu, right?

Yeah they are expensive.my last order from giz10p was 5 euro shipping.I'm gonna go with them

Yep you'll deffo get Sanwa or Seimitsu.Ronnie ain't no two bit cowboy.
    Imagine a candy cab with cheap knock off parts ...or worse HAPP
    Looking at the egret 2 manual it comes with Sanwa parts as stock so i'd say they're your best bet for Egret 3

Yeah they are expensive.my last order from giz10p was 5 euro shipping.I'm gonna go with them

Yep you'll deffo get Sanwa or Seimitsu.Ronnie ain't no two bit cowboy.
    Imagine a candy cab with cheap knock off parts ...or worse HAPP
    Looking at the egret 2 manual it comes with Sanwa parts as stock so i'd say they're your best bet for Egret 3

Cool, well lets just say I covered all bases on the starcab order :D

Lots of parts bought and some I'm sure I wont need.
    What were you looking for yourself? I might have a few spare bits from the order.
    I'm of the mindset of "why buy one of something when you can get two for twice the price, or three for trice".

It's bad but its who I am :o

If you zoom in on page 78 from this link http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/1/17/E3parts.pdf it's definitely Sanwa joysticks and buttons mentioned, on the original anyway. :)

• Advertisement

That's the sad thing.
    I just need about 12 male pins for the amp connectors and they are only 10 cents each.:mad:
    I ordered about 40 females and 12 males.Should have been the other way around.
    You think you've covered everything,I put money on it(or twelve pins):D that you've forgotten something

That's the sad thing.
    I just need about 12 male pins for the amp connectors and they are only 10 cents each.:mad:
    I ordered about 40 females and 12 males.Should have been the other way around.
    You think you've covered everything,I put money on it(or twelve pins):D that you've forgotten something

Yeah, I'm sure I forgotten loads of stuff.

I just had a look at my order there and its still pending as they were only back from holidays today. You want me to see if I can still stick a few items on the original order? I can send them an email and see if its possible if you like.

Yeah man.If you could try that would be really appreciated
    I just need 40 of these
    http://www.starcab.net/product_info.php?cPath=90_201&products_id=673

8.60 euro.
    I'll sort you out with money straight away

I just need 40 of these

8.60 euro.

Ok, I sent them an email about it. Will see what they come back with.
    I've never dealt with them before so don't know how they are about stuff like this.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If you zoom in on page 78 from this link http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/1/17/E3parts.pdf it's definitely Sanwa joysticks and buttons mentioned, on the original anyway. :)

Cheers for that Andrew, helps me out a bit.

By the way, your Hyperspin is fully cooked and ready to come out of the oven :D

I wont be around tomorrow but Sunday evening or any evening next week is fine.

Cheers for that Andrew, helps me out a bit.

By the way, your Hyperspin is fully cooked and ready to come out of the oven :D

I wont be around tomorrow but Sunday evening or any evening next week is fine.

Excellent stuff dude thanks. I might try for Sunday evening if I can, getting renovations done on the gaff so not sure what time I can get away at. If not I'll just PM to organise another evening.

Was just giving the mini HS a lash there using my SFIV TE + xpadder, great stuff. I noticed when I exit out of a game back to the HS it gets a bit jumpy for a few seconds - that normal or just my system?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff dude thanks. I might try for Sunday evening if I can, getting renovations done on the gaff so not sure what time I can get away at. If not I'll just PM to organise another evening.

Was just giving the mini HS a lash there using my SFIV TE + xpadder, great stuff. I noticed when I exit out of a game back to the HS it gets a bit jumpy for a few seconds - that normal or just my system?

Shouldn't be jumpy really. Are you still running from the external drive or did you copy it to an internal?

Plus if you have anti virus or anti malware software running it might try scanning all the hyperspin bits and pieces and that might slow it down or cause a bit of jumpiness.

I just need 40 of these

8.60 euro.

Starcab just got back to me. They've already shipped the order out so cant add these to it.

Oh Well :(

Ok, this will probably cause some disagreements.

What is the best joystick brand for a general use cab (as in it will have many different types of games running)?

Is it Sanwa or Seimitsu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They're both great. It only becomes a preference if you're really into a specific genre like fighting or shumps.

Do you like one more than the other at all?

Advertisement