Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So i got bored and emailed some politicians

• 20-06-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Allan Brown to abrennan, tjoyce, Lettie, tmurphy, nrichmond
    show details 18 Jun

Good Evening Councillors,

I would like to bring to your attention the following documentation in regards to the recent addresses made by the CDC (Centre for Disease Control) in the USA regarding a potential Zombie Outbreak

CDC Zombie Contingency Plan

This issue has already been raised by a group of us in the zombie survival forum from Boards.ie on safe places in Ireland (Dublin mostly) and how to best defend against the undead,

Can you please let us know what provisions the Irish Government has in respect to this situation,

A few years ago we where issued Iodine pills in case of any nuclear catastrophe, I believe the same planning and thought should go into this potential situation,

I have a few questions regarding if the outbreak where to reach Ireland,

1) Are their any designated safe points for survivors?

2) What plans for sustainability (food, oil) will likely be implemented?

3) Have the army a trained team of sharpshooters who can effectively destroy the undead?

If a Zombie apocalypse does happen, strategically we are in a prime position as an Island to help rebuild a torn and fragile world.

Thank you for your time in reading this email.

Kind Regards,

Allan Brown

I am now awaiting the responses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Allan,

My apologies for the delay in replying to you, my apologies also if I offend you but I must ask is this a wind up?

If it is, so be it, you got me!

If it is not I would suggest you contact the Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government who are responsible for the Emergency Response Coordination Committee who I imagine would be responsible for dealing with such an eventuality.

The contact details for their press & information office are as follows:
    Media queries:
    Press and Information Office
    Tel: (01) 888 2638 (direct)
    (01) 888 2000
    E-Mail: press-office@environ.ie
    Web site: www.environ.ie

Regards,

Neale
    - Show quoted text -
    --
    Cllr. Neale Richmond
    Glencullen - Sandyford Ward

086-7814514

www.nealerichmond.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

What a cool response, I bet you would get feck all from the department of environment and they will suggest you go to xxxxx where it will eventually lead in circles.

Shall i contact them? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Of course!

Done,

Now we play the waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Well done mate.

Now all you have to do is wait in the audience of The Late Late Show, enter Inda Kenny......*puts up hand to ask question*.....sit back and watch the reaction lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

subscribes.

may i say,

awesome!

jme2010 wrote: »
    Well done mate.

Now all you have to do is wait in the audience of The Late Late Show, enter Inda Kenny......*puts up hand to ask question*.....sit back and watch the reaction lol.

Ring up joe duffy say the government doesn't even have the decency to prepare for such an event yet will spend money on a floating garden,

allanb49 wrote: »
    Ring up joe duffy say the government doesn't even have the decency to prepare for such an event yet will spend money on a floating garden,

Gward aft-ar new-awn and welcome to the a live line I'm Jooooooooooe Duffy.

Shelia, you say your son's a zombie eh?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fair play to the councillor for replying.
    Get on to Alan Shatter, he handles Defence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This thread will be amazing... Following!

I'm actually going for drinks in the Dail tomorrow. I should bring a proposal with me and give it to them then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well played Sir, well played :D

Good response too, great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Brilliant. Looking forward to the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Yeah 'its a disgrace Joe' etc
    I can see it now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Someone get onto adrian kennedy. There must be at least 1 politician who has something planned in secret

To answer your first point OP, I believe there is a bunker under the army barracks in Athlone. Not sure if it's ready for use anymore

But that's for our leaders, not for us :(

So i was in Dail Eireann today having a few drinks,

I was in talks with a TD and have been advised to forward on a copy of the email to him for his attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

this is magnificent!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

So i was in Dail Eireann today having a few drinks,

I was in talks with a TD and have been advised to forward on a copy of the email to him for his attention.

It wouldnt happed to be Mick Wallace by any chance.

• Advertisement

I wish i did see him in his pink shirt while listening in on a debate, Ming might be more open to it. Might actually email him now see what reply i get back from the toy of them, and alan shatter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

I think this is an excellent idea, and I hope that you get somewhere with your inquiries.

My aunt is a nurse and as part of her job, she has to check the CDC website fairly often. So when she saw their zombie preparedness article, she printed it out and brought it to me and told me that if the CDC is putting something like that up, then they know more than they're letting on. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

thats soo cool Chase! I am delighted the CDC has considered this.
    Is this the article? if not, then its still interesting

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

And for those folk who say that a Zombie plan is a waste of government time, then I say that whatever plan is in place for Z-day is going to be usefull for outbreaks of other unknow viruses. It wont be any comfort to the citizens if they are faced with the 'wrong sort of virus/zombie' .... The govt plan should be along the lines of identification & cause of virus, analysis of transmission, how to break the cycle, how to treat patients, civil support (food & water), organising safe zones, protection of assests for come-back , etc

Lets see what the Irish gov come up with....

True. Recent times have seen us caught with our pants down. SARS, bird flu, the one in Germany, to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

thats soo cool Chase! I am delighted the CDC has considered this.
    Is this the article? if not, then its still interesting

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

And for those folk who say that a Zombie plan is a waste of government time, then I say that whatever plan is in place for Z-day is going to be usefull for outbreaks of other unknow viruses. It wont be any comfort to the citizens if they are faced with the 'wrong sort of virus/zombie' .... The govt plan should be along the lines of identification & cause of virus, analysis of transmission, how to break the cycle, how to treat patients, civil support (food & water), organising safe zones, protection of assests for come-back , etc

Lets see what the Irish gov come up with....

Yeah, it's the same one in the OP. Most people think it's just a joke, but my aunt certainly took it seriously.

I totally agree...a plan like that would work with any number of outbreaks/events. Yes, the majority of people don't take the zombie angle seriously, but look how popular the genre is - if spreading awareness for being prepared through this vein works, then why not do it? It's the difference between a major outbreak being uncontrolled with hundreds or thousands suffering and/or dying, or having the people prepared and ready to survive with - hopefully - minimal fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Zombies are popular right now.

Gov's want their people to be prepared for ANY emergency. Being prepared is being prepared.

Zombies = Slick marketing. Someone at the CDC should get a raise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

mikemac wrote: »
    To answer your first point OP, I believe there is a bunker under the army barracks in Athlone. Not sure if it's ready for use anymore

But that's for our leaders, not for us :(

Please,please let them all cram themselves into it..Where they shall die horribly by suffication or smoke inhalation or heat exhaustion or all of the above...
    Who was the rocket scientist who put a fallout shelter,not a nuke proof bunker perse under a 250 plus year old building,that is kind of likely ,possibly might..Catch fire,or collapse due to structural weakness???:eek::P:cool::rolleyes:

Proably the same genius who did the same under the old town hall in Limerick??:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I wish i did see him in his pink shirt while listening in on a debate, Ming might be more open to it. Might actually email him now see what reply i get back from the toy of them, and alan shatter too.

Ming the Merciless is a legend!

Still no reply from,

- Department of the Environment
    - Alan Shatter
    - Luke "Ming" Flanagan
    - Mick Wallace

But a friend of mine is bringing the proposal to her father though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Fantastic idea i hope they get back to you Allan!

Alan Shatter better reply!
    He is responsible for Defence

If a councillor can reply then so can a Minister

Fantastic thread OP

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ZedHeadEd

Annnnd following thread :D

Cant wait to see where this ends up going to, hopefully as a story on rte...too bad the ones reading it wont be able to keep a straight face on camera :pac:

IMO i wouldn't be surprised if they had already planned something for this (or a virus outbreak) and just haven't told the public yet

Does anyone here work in RTE :P slip it in before an episode of the walking dead on mondays,

Meh!! We dont do informing the public in Ireland,especially with things that might happen.Anyone remember Mairian Finucane and Min Joe Jacob interview about what would happen if say Sellafield would blow?? It was an absolute farsce!!Should have been a warning to us all what sort of total ejits were in charge.... We all got a packet of iodine tablets out of it..Which they wanted back three years later...:(:eek::D.
    So if they can make a total hames of somthing that was quite possible,what sort of bollockology would they make of if the actual dead did rise and started lunching on the citzenry??:pac::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Maybe the government are doing something about we just dont know....all these "lose that waist size" adds that plague the radio/tv are in preparation in developing a fitter human being to survive.

Maybe one of the mods who made this zombie survival forums is in government! *xfiles music*

The military here are constantly recruiting (like who the fudge are we going to war with?!....zombies obviously)

Property bubble my arse...we are clearly in a recession due to the Irish government recklessly spending fund on the cure for infection

There are loads of other reasons that I refuse to disclose publically

• Advertisement

I can see the new safe food campaign slogan.

"lose weight fatties, or the Zed's will get ya"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ZedHeadEd

I can see the new safe food campaign slogan.

"lose weight fatties, or the Zed's will get ya"

:pac:

I think i heard of something similar before :P
    The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

Gandalph wrote: »

The military here are constantly recruiting

Rethink that, they are not recruiting only doctors at the moment nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Gandalph wrote: »
    Maybe the government are doing something about we just dont know....

The government will have plans, maybe not labeled "Ireland's Zombie Emergency Plan" but they will emergency plans that would be adapted on the fly. They would include Nuclear, Disease and civil unrest plans that they would activate.

My previous role was a consultant for Business continuity which covered crisis management and emergency planning for major corporations so I can tell of two of the largest corporations on the planet have a contingency plan for a zombie outbreak as I wrote them. I had to rename one to civil unrest but remit was made clear to me it was to cover a zombie outbreak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Sure the government couldn't plan for the current economic woes with advance warning but hey they can plan for the zeds!

I'd love to see more responses from current government ministers tho :D

• Advertisement

Barrt2 wrote: »
    Rethink that, they are not recruiting only doctors at the moment nothing else.

Military forums say otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I can just imagine the government plans.

Nuclear war: Everyone stay inside and close your windows.
    Avian Flu: Everyone stay inside and close your windows.
    The dead walking the earth due to there being no more room in hell: Everyone stay inside and close your windows.

Ian O Doherty's colum..And it is true..The last bit!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    [emphasis mine]

WHAT -- YOU MEAN THEY'RE NOT PREPARED?
    So, what do you think of The Walking Dead?
    Having first aired on satellite telly, it's been running on RTÉ for the last few weeks and has picked up a whole new bunch of fans. It's one of the best things seen on television for a long time and the fact that Frank Darabont is directing and using a lot of his regular actors from his big-screen adventures means the whole show has a wonderful, cinematic quality to it.
    In fact, zombies are all the rage at the moment -- just ask one Dundee resident, Lee McCauley.
    The man has become obsessed with the living dead until a scary thought hit him: had Dundee council drawn up a contingency plan should they ever be attacked by zombies?
    He wrote to them, saying: "Having watched several films, it has become clear to me that preparation for such events is poor and one that the council must prepare for."
    The council, to their credit, did actually bother to reply and told him: "Should evidence become available to suggest that these could be potential threats then we will consider augmenting our generic arrangements with specific plans."
    It's obvious that Dublin City Council also has absolutely no plans to cope with a zombie invasion -- after all, a quick stroll down the boardwalk in Dublin city centre will show you that they're already here.

phill106 wrote: »
    I can just imagine the government plans.

Nuclear war: Everyone stay inside and close your windows.
    Avian Flu: Everyone stay inside and close your windows.
    The dead walking the earth due to there being no more room in hell: Everyone stay inside and close your windows.

Not to mind like in the cold war the Irish govts policy was that radiation and fallout would respect Irish neutrality.
    So no doubt the Z infection will not befall us here as we will be neutral as declared as our national policy to the Z invasion,and expect NATO/US/UK or whoever to save our sorry asses from the undead.

No doubt there will be many liberals and professional peace mongers who belive that by peaceful protest and non violent direct action the undead will return to their graves...
    No doubt they might keep the undead filled awhile.But unfortunatly they wont find any Brainnnss in the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not to mind like in the cold war the Irish govts policy was that radiation and fallout would respect Irish neutrality.
    So no doubt the Z infection will not befall us here as we will be neutral as declared as our national policy to the Z invasion,and expect NATO/US/UK or whoever to save our sorry asses from the undead.

No doubt there will be many liberals and professional peace mongers who belive that by peaceful protest and non violent direct action the undead will return to their graves...
    No doubt they might keep the undead filled awhile.But unfortunatly they wont find any Brainnnss in the whole lot of them.

And while they do that, you me and anyone with common sense will be grabbing our go-bag and readying weapons!

dam wish i had a gun....

Aquire a decent sword and practise with it..Alot..It will do until you pick up somthing on Z day.There will be plenty lying around from those who didnt practise with theirs and were eaten..:D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Aquire a decent sword. There will be plenty lying around from those who didnt practise with theirs and were eaten..:D

You sir can run towards the zombies, with a piece of paper cruelly (but justly) stuck to your back labelled, "Bait".

Close quaters combat with the undead is not recommended. Based on the nature of how the virus spreads, do you really want to be spraying z blood all over yourself? Not to mention the risk of being over-whelmed by the shufflers.

Long-medium ranged wepons only please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ah sure you can't beat an ol set of shears...

I think Alan Shatter who handles Defence has not replied as the Government has brilliant plans and doesn't want them leaked.
    It's a better plan the Dick Roche's idea to order iodine tablets for everyone in case of nuclear fallout

Also, the Irish Army was training hard on the firing range at the barracks in Renmore Galway all week.
    Clearly a build up to get ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

The Department of Transport's plan for snow causing travel chaos was get the minister for transport to Malta and he'll be grand there.

The Department of Health's plan to deal with overcrowding in A&E is to ask everyone to schedule their accident between 9am and 5pm.

The Department of Finance's plan to deal with a banking crisis is to nationalise the banks.

The Department of the Gaeltacht's plan to deal with falling numbers using Irish was to outlaw the use of English in Dingle.

Personally I hope they don't have a plan. If they do we're f**ked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement