Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retro sweet shops

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Has anyone checked out the new retro sweet shops in Cork, are they good? Would love some postman pats and apple jacks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've heard the one on Oliver Plunket opposite Pennys is good. Haven't been in myself but from the description I've heard of it I'd bet you can get the sweets you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

they do incredible pistachio turkish delight in there.

not sure i saw postman pats and apple jacks in there though mimihops

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The one on Oliver Plunkett Street is great alright, but I'm pretty positive that they have neither Postman Pats nor Apple Jacks :(.

Haven't been to the other one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

And "Aunty Nellies" (i.e. North Main Street) have opened up in Cobh - it's brilliant, I've been there a few times now - and every time I go down to it - the place is packed. I just love looking at the children queueing at the counter - there really is "kid in a sweetshop" face! :D I brought my nephew there on Saturday - I paid €6.99 for a small glass jar - and then he could fill it up with whatever sweets he chose. He was delighted - the staff were really lovely and so patient. (Nice to go somewhere the staff have obviously been properly trained and enjoy what they're doing). I tell you if I didn't live in Cobh, I'd be travelling down there just to go that little shop. The one on Oliver Plunkett Street is much bigger but there are always so many people in there at lunch time, I just don't bother going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Try the one in Merchants Quay by the escalator on the Patrick St. side entrance. Also Lidl do retro sweets every so often, keep an eye on the literature they fire inside every newspaper, magazine, man and woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

tommy21 wrote: »
    Try the one in Merchants Quay by the escalator on the Patrick St. side entrance. Also Lidl do retro sweets every so often, keep an eye on the literature they fire inside every newspaper, magazine, man and woman.

I think the Lidl version of old boiled sweets like Clove Drops and pear drops etc are poor.
    I'd kill for a bag (made of paper of course) of apple jacks right now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

There's a genuine (i.e. not retro) old-fashioned sweet factory and shop in Shandon : http://homepage.eircom.net/~stmarysonthehill/comenius/traditionalfoods/linehans.html

Advertisement