Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinect SDK - what would you develop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Would have to be this:

kinect-sutra-penny-arcade-550x275.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

CCTV/motion detection system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

a decent game:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Only slightly related, but does the Xbox 360 have access to indie games in ireland? Last I looked, no it didn't. Is this where "Kinect SDK" titles are supposed to go? If so, you can't play them here.

While I'm at it, does Kinect in Ireland yet have voice control support?

I don't have Kinect, but I was surprised recently to hear that it didn't have voice control.

Anyone?

...And I don't mean to change the subject. These two things would be fairly essential to developing 360 Kinect titles I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

To answer your questions:

Indie Games: No. But you can create a UK or US Silver account for free and download the trials (you'll need to buy US or UK points if you find a game you actually like and want to buy).

Kinect Voice Control: Again, no. But this should be coming in the 'Fall' Dashboard update. Which would normally mean about October / November. (Some date that would no coincide with a major holiday or AAA title release - so, before Thanksgiving but not around MW3 or Halo Anniversary release, or Gears of War 3). There are ways and means to sort of get it to work now, but it's not as tightly integrated as it will be in the NNXE (New New XBox Experience)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

To answer your questions:

Kinect Voice Control: Again, no. But this should be coming in the 'Fall' Dashboard update. Which would normally mean about October / November. (Some date that would no coincide with a major holiday or AAA title release - so, before Thanksgiving but not around MW3 or Halo Anniversary release, or Gears of War 3). There are ways and means to sort of get it to work now, but it's not as tightly integrated as it will be in the NNXE (New New XBox Experience)

It still looks to me like they've been short-changing their Irish customers though. Why would they not enable the same voice measures they have for the UK market? Obviously because we all taak loik iggurrunt eejits as far as they're concerned.

It still looks to me like they've been short-changing their Irish customers though. Why would they not enable the same voice measures they have for the UK market? Obviously because we all taak loik iggurrunt eejits as far as they're concerned.

It has been here before, but relevant again:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think some sort of Gladiatorial fighting game would be good, or Medieval battle game in 1st person, thrust you right into the view point of some poor fella in a huge battle, fighting all round, attackers can come from anywhere.

But not with Avatars, it would have to have decent realistic looking characters and plenty of gore.

The draw back of Kinect though is you are standing on the spot playing these games, so charging into battle and doing a roll and slashing an opponent or something along those lines straight outta Gladiator, would look and feel totally sh1t with Kinect, running on the spot and all that.

I think it would be a perfect-fit for some form of Rampage clone (Showing my age - but here you go for the younger viewers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7UYaqpJw8).

The simple left-right, up-down, grab / smash mechanic should be easy enough to implement (no need to worry about 3D space, unless you wanted to get really flash).

Advertisement