Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adrenal Fatigue

Options
  • 20-06-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

HI,

My mum is suffering what her doctor has said is Adrenal Fatigue. She is 61 years of age. I am finding it very difficult to deal with her as I am the only one living at home at the moment, and as she is hyper-sensitive and constantly depressed, asleep or over reacting it is hard for me to stay calm and understanding all the time.

I am urging her to go out for a 5 minute walk, or visit friends, but she won;t she just cries, eats and sleeps.

I say something to her as a joke and all of a sudden she is crying hysterically, and refusing to go out. She just sits on the couch in a daze, feeling sorry for herself.

I know I sound harsh, but my mum has been known to "play the victim" over the years and after watching her throughout my childhood suffering from sever depression, I am tired of trying to help. I need help.

Please can someone suggest how I can go about helping her get better and maybe some suggestions for myself also!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Has she been put on hydrocortisone for the adrenal fatigue - and also has she ever been tested for hypothyroidism?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

cltt97 wrote: »
    Has she been put on hydrocortisone for the adrenal fatigue - and also has she ever been tested for hypothyroidism?

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

No she has not been put on hydrocortisone and has been tested for hypothyroidism and has been diagnosed with that also?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

No wonder you and your mother are worn out! I hope she's been put on some thyroid replacement? Where are you based? You need to find a doc that is willing to treat both her adrenal fatigue and her hypothyroidism. If one gland is shot, the other won't work properly, these two are very interlinked. And depression is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, often brought on by it and will not respond to antidepressants. Treating the underlying hormone deficiency properly is the only way forward. There is a really good book by J.Wilson, "Adrenal Fatigue, the 21st centrury stress syndrome". It gives a lot of background information and practical advice on what to do improve things. Also, a book that addresses both issues and which I think is one of the better ones is by Dr Peatfield. 'Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy'. I got both books on amazon. The most important thing is to educate yourself about these conditions and then go and see someone who is willing to treat your mother. so let us know where you are based and someone might be able to recommend someone.

Advertisement