Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acephalgic Migraines

Options
  • 20-06-2011 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Not sure if this should be a separate thread, merge if needs be.

I have suffered from migraines for 14 years now, started off with the normal migraines with aura but as I got older the neurological symptoms worsened. I now only get the neurological symptoms, without the headache (past 3 or 4 years). My doctor has tried me on some triptans but I had quite a bad reaction to them.

I went to see the consultant neurologist in St Vincent's last week my suspicions of acephalgic migraines were confirmed. I have to get an MRI to rule out something else and then they're going to look at medication - but my MRI appointment isn't until next February :(

When I get an attack I get aura, blindness or peripheral-only vision, nausea, slurred speech, numbness in my face (left side - which was my headache side), loss of coordination, sensitivity to noise, light and smell and spontaneous dyslexia. I am completely unable to work or function in general and an attack can last anywhere from 4 hours to 10 days. I find these attacks worse than when I got the headaches as my headaches could be resolved with painkillers and a couple of hours sleep.

I get quite down over it because I never know if an attack will last for hours or days, and I miss a lot of work. People (family, co-workers) keep telling me to take painkillers but there's no pain and no one seems understand how I can have a migraine without a headache.

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from this? Anyone had success with amitriptyline?
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement