Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dysgraphia

Options
  • 20-06-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Lately I've been having a hard time writing, especially hand written work. I've had a bad injury to my hand and was out of work for a number of months, I was also quite stressed around a number of things in my personal life.
    I always had really bad hand writing and not a great speller, but lately I just cannot produce my taughts in written form and its really effecting my work.

I would proof read everything 4-5 times before posting here and would take at least half an hour type simple e-mails in work. Sometimes I would still not see mistakes in grammar or spelling, such as leaving out words, incoherent sentences and repeating words. It frustrates the hell out of me!!
    I dont speak like this and I'm an avid reader.

I started looking into this last week and it would seem to be Dysgraphia, which is a form of Dyslexia. I want to get a professional opion oin it and see what I do to try improving.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you were like that before the hand injury then it's worth investigating. It's not commonly known of or diagnosed in Ireland.I'd ask the dyslexia assoc if they know of anyone who can assess you specifically for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I have very similar problems to yourself OP.
    I am dyslexic and it manifests itself in with a very poor short term auditory memory. This means I have trouble holding sounds in my head in the short term. I find it really really hard to sumarise information into a writen format, spell, repeat numbers or words so learning a language is very difficulty. If im given a list of tasks to do verbally in work I will definitly forget one. I am also supposed to have a note taker in college becuase I always get left behind as by the time Iv writen a sentance I will have forgotten what the tutor has said.
    I went to the dyslexia association of ireland to get a full evaluation about 2 years ago they where excellent.
    You can also go to a private educational psychologist for a full evaluation it costs about 400 though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I actually start going through my sent items from the past number of years and the ammount of mistakes, words left out, even repeated sentences is shocking, I honestly dont know how I didnt do anything about it or realise it!!

Yeah I checked www.dyslexia.ie , and its 400 bob for an evaluation :( so I'll proably wait a month or two for that.
    I find it really really hard to sumarise information into a writen format, spell, repeat numbers or words so learning a language is very difficulty

Is there anything you do or any technique you use to try and improve this?
    The process of getting my taughts in written form is the worst part, its like I think or talk too quick to write it down and if I slow my taught process down I cant get my ideas across. The spelling and grammar can be fixed afterwards so thats not as big of a problem.

(this post was spell checked and re-written about 5 times :o)

Advertisement