Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical engineering - power line design software

• 20-06-2011 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know a good software design package for building power lines? 38 or 110 kV - Towers and Poles? Not exactly building any powerlines myself- just looking into how they are designed. Does anyone know what power line design packages are good - for example - what design package does the ESB or ESBi use?

thanks,

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but a number of power flow software packages exist that engineers use to model a system and study the power flow on it. Witness the direction and magnitures of the powerflows, run contingency and short circuit analysis.

The most common used package is Siemems PSS\e. Its is used in National Grids in over 110 countries. You require a license to use it which costs a couple of grand but UCC Elec Eng usually has some final year project based on PSS\e. I suggest speaking to Dr. M. Egan.

Then there is powerworld which is a smaller package. I remember getting a disc of this with "Power System Analysis and Design" by J. Glover & M. Sarma. It allowed to used to build mini systems, connected generators and loads and views the magnitude and direction of the real and reactive power. PSS\e esstentially does this but on a country size scale.

The physical building and design of a towers and wooden poles is more of a civil engineering issue. The electrical studies are mostly done on this software where the line type, capacity and voltage level can be established and rigourously tested prior to physical building has taken place.

You should really speak to the lecturers about this, they would know alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

thanks podgemonster. much appreciated.

Jo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oregandt

PLS-CADD is quickly becoming the industry standard for designing a layout for the positioning of Poles and Pylons and modelling the various dynamics associated with it such as line sag, temperature, etc.

PSS/e as previously stated is more involved with the Electrical side of things such as power flow analysis, open/short cct testing, etc.

Advertisement