Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power line design software

• 20-06-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know a good software design package for building power lines - towers and poles? 38 or 110 kV? Not exactly building any powerlines - just looking into how they are designed. Does anyone know what power line design packages are good - for example - what software package does the ESB or ESBi use?

thanks,

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

ESB/ESBI uses a program called PLS CADD and PLS Tower for line design and tower design. The programs are made by Powerline Systems.

www.powline.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

check out ETAP and Easypower, they have alot of modules in their programs im sure it will cover the areas you are interested in. ETAP is better that Easypower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

toxof wrote: »
    ESB/ESBI uses a program called PLS CADD and PLS Tower for line design and tower design. The programs are made by Powerline Systems.

www.powline.com

Having looked at the price list I'm guessing he won't be rushing to get his credit card out in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I had a student summer job working with ESBI about a decade ago (assisting in modifying existing lines), and the line design was really manual. Route survey, plotting, printing and then using drafting stencils to show the sag of the conductors.

Memory is pretty hazy at this stage on the exact details, but I remember thinking how old-skool it was. Good to see things have changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

www.powline.com

thanks for that toxof.
    Whats the difference between PLS CADD and PLS Tower ? can you not design tower lines using PLS CADD, or what is PLS CADD used for?
    If you were to design say a 110kv line, using both poles and towers, which one would you need, or would you need both?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know is there design documents available for the design requirments for HV power networks in Ireland?
    I was talking to a friend in the UK, and she said that you can actually purchase the national grid design requirment documents for HV power lines.
    Is this available for the irish grid i wonder?

Jo

PLS CADD is for designing a transmission line. PLS Tower is for designing a Latice Steel Structure (Pylon) and analyzing it under load conditions.

The towers are used in the PLS CADD design.

In the link below you can see a transmission line with tower models in it and later on you will see a tower being analyzed.

http://www.powline.com/pti/ptipaper.html

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me where i can get a 38kV line Design Manual, which apparently have been made available by the ESB, but despite contacting many people, I have not managed to find a copy.

Jo

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me where i can get a 38kV line Design Manual, which apparently have been made available by the ESB, but despite contacting many people, I have not managed to find a copy.

Jo

Thank you all for your help. I now have a copy of the design manual, and the info i need on PLS-CADD. Much appreciated to everyone who messaged me and helped.

Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Anyone know how much the steel for an electricity transmission pylon would cost?

• Advertisement

Anyone know how much the steel for an electricity transmission pylon would cost?

a pylon can range from anything from 4 to 50 tonne - so depends on the size .

jocotty wrote: »
    a pylon can range from anything from 4 to 50 tonne - so depends on the size .

Sorry, don't know the weight. The only info I have is that it is 100ft high and carries six cables.

Scrap cost or new from manufacture?

Scrap cost or new from manufacture?

Both if you have them.

A 30m Double Circuit tower would be about 8,000 euro including delivery

A 30m Double Circuit tower would be about 8,000 euro including delivery

Are you sure? €8,000 seems cheap for that much galvanised steel.

You've included delivery but not erection, any idea how much it would cost to put one up?

Hi toxof,

just wondering if you have any more info on the costs?

thanks.

Advertisement