Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So sick of these dog owners!!!

• 20-06-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I'm so flippin fed up of random neighbourhood dogs running out of their front gardens and lunging at/chasing/trying to attack my two dogs (who I walk on their leads), honestly there are so many dogs round here down quiet country lanes who just make a dash for us, there's only about 3 different walks I can do and so far 2 of them 'feature' mad chasing dogs, it's got to the stage where, if I take them up to the woods for a walk (still on the lead!!) my foster dog has started lunging at perfectly pleasant normal dogs walking and minding their own biz, which is worrying and embarassing, I'm trying to get her out of it with distraction methods but it's not working so far. Just this morning a big golden lab came tearing towards us, snarling and barking and this young teenage boy was just standing there calling her, I said to him 'why don't you come and get her cos she's clearly not responding to you', in fairness he had the decency to mumble an apology but he couldn't get her he had to sort of chase her away, my dog isn't too bothered by it but it seems to be really affecting foster dog and I'm afraid it's going to make her aggressive if this keeps up. Why can't people keep their sodding dogs under control!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I've had the same thing happen on our morning walk. One old guy actually said i'll wait until you've passed to open the gates but its ok the dogs never leave the garden. I'd walked half a dozen steps past his garden and his bleeding lab and 2 of his terriers came bounding at my 2 behaving themselves nicely on their leads. The guy just stood there and said just keep walking they'll leave you alone in a minute. So his dogs obviously often left his garden:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

It's like they don't realise what could happen, apart from dogs getting injured, what if I (or you or anyone) had a child with them, what if a car was coming, they just honestly don't seem to think or maybe care. I don't get it I really don't, it just infuriates me to the point I now mutter and swear to myself when out walking the dogs and will soon be known (if I'm not already) as the local nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

My mum carries a large old horse whip of mine and she says it works a treat when she is out walking my dog. She doesn't use it on the dogs but has the effect of the owner rapidly pulling their misbehaving mutt away rather quickly if they see her with it. Works a treat and makes a great whipping sound as it travels through the air. She's only once actually had to use it on a jack Russell that tore strips out of my dog. She also reported the owner who's dog had run out of its garden and attacked to the local dog warden and he called round with a fine. The owner of course did nothing to help mum and actually laughed at the whole affair. The fine was well deserved!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I generally carry a golf brolly with me when walking the dog. Apart from the obvious use, it comes in handy if an unwanted dog approaches. I'd never hit a dog with it, you just need to hold it out in front and they seem to know instinctively not to come too close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Numerous of times I've had dogs running up to my two while I'm out walking, what annoys me is when the owners are standing around not bothering to do anything about it :mad: My dogs get excited very easily when they see other dogs so it's hard enough trying to walk them when they spot other dogs on leads but when they come across dogs that are strolling around without a lead it's crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I think you will find this happens everywhere. There are houses along our walking routes that have dogs who will run out every time we walk past. I cant understand how the owners dont fear them getting knocked down as people speed out here even though its the countryside. Also they dont seem to care that they annoy people like us who actually bother to walk their dogs. Makes me mad!!

Well, I'm glad it's not just me!! Might try carrying a 'weapon' to brandish from now on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My youngster loves meeting other dogs but a neighbour has a Collie that took an instant dislike to him. So like you I get the Collie hurtling down their driveway growling & barking.

The maddening part is that, as my little chap has got closer to being an adult, he feels the need to defend himself. I am concerned that this one mad Collie will effect how my lad is with other dogs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Kamili wrote: »
    My mum carries a large old horse whip of mine and she says it works a treat when she is out walking my dog. She doesn't use it on the dogs but has the effect of the owner rapidly pulling their misbehaving mutt away rather quickly if they see her with it. Works a treat and makes a great whipping sound as it travels through the air. She's only once actually had to use it on a jack Russell that tore strips out of my dog. She also reported the owner who's dog had run out of its garden and attacked to the local dog warden and he called round with a fine. The owner of course did nothing to help mum and actually laughed at the whole affair. The fine was well deserved!:pac:

I carry a small 18 " horsewhip too. I dont want to carry a heavy stick or umbrella so this is a lightweight and inexpensive alternative (about seven euro).

Its not for hitting a dog with , Its just to deter them, You can make the whoosh noise at them if they are being aggressive.
    Got the idea years with a past pet chihuahua that every loose dog in the neighbourhood tried to savage.

Discodog wrote: »
    The maddening part is that, as my little chap has got closer to being an adult, he feels the need to defend himself. I am concerned that this one mad Collie will effect how my lad is with other dogs in the future.

That's my worry exactly

• Advertisement
Advertisement