Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded but no/little improvement

Options
  • 20-06-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi i recently upgraded my broadband from up 3mb to op 7mb. Now this was last week and i know the upgrade is finished not only because i got the email saying this but on two occasions i actually witnessed a speed over 3mb just.

Before the upgrade i was always getting around 2.8mb an i expected at least 5mb with the up to 7mb not the same or very little improvement. I was told my line was able for up to 7mb broad band but clear it is not.

I was wondering if this can not be sorted is there a way of cancelling my upgrade without paying the cancellation fee.

P.S Im doing the speed tests using a DSL cable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Menapians wrote: »
    Hi i recently upgraded my broadband from up 3mb to op 7mb. Now this was last week and i know the upgrade is finished not only because i got the email saying this but on two occasions i actually witnessed a speed over 3mb just.

Before the upgrade i was always getting around 2.8mb an i expected at least 5mb with the up to 7mb not the same or very little improvement. I was told my line was able for up to 7mb broad band but clear it is not.

I was wondering if this can not be sorted is there a way of cancelling my upgrade without paying the cancellation fee.

P.S Im doing the speed tests using a DSL cable

Hi Menapians,

If you PM your home phone number I can take a look at the sync on your broadband connection and advise further.

You may also wish to take a look at the following broadband checklilst, which maybe helfpul with resolving your broadband speed issue.

Broadband Checklist : http://bit.ly/cTw6pU

(If you have any problem opening the above website, please copy & paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar.)

** You should ensure that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Powercycle your modem (restart the eircom modem) and wait a few minutes until it reconnects.

If you are still experiencing intermittent connections after testing the modem as outlined, then please call into eircom Technical Support directly.

They may need to change your broadband profile slightly, and do some quick broadband checks when you're on the phone.

Please retain your case id /ref if you need to follow up on your logged fault /or PM this and we can chase this up also.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Kind regards,

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

Hi ant PM sent. I have tried all of the above except removing the splitter. Ringing technical support will just see me going through all the above steps again and i dont really have the patients at the moment to deal with that.

Hi ant PM sent. I have tried all of the above except removing the splitter. Ringing technical support will just see me going through all the above steps again and i dont really have the patients at the moment to deal with that.

Hi Menapians,

Thanks for PM. I have received this and will advise shortly. Regards Ant

Hi ant i reported the fault and apparently the line cannot support more than 4mb is there any way to cancel the upgrade and go back on the previous plan? i Don't see a point in paying 15 euro extra for less than 1mb improvement it makes no since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You must remove the splitter to test like the man said , it is not needed for broadband and may be faulty.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You must remove the splitter to test like the man said , it is not needed for broadband and may be faulty.

Ya i did all that with technical support but i was told the line would only support 4mb because Im too far from the exchange. something i was not told when upgrading as i was told it could support the 7mb

Is it a Zyzel or a Netopia ??, 4mbits implies minimum a 2 mile line length from the exchange and nearer 3 in a rural area.

Its netopia. The first person i was on the phone to seem like it wasn't that the line could only support. but they had to ring me back to remove the splitter and the person who rang me back just seemed like he wanted to get me off the phone as quick as he could. it was five o clock after all i couldnt possible inconvenience him and keep him in work five minutes longer :mad:

EDIT: the nearest exchange is 4 miles away driving afaik

4 miles by road means that 4mbits is simply a miracle, must all be fairly old overhead line in a rural area.

There might be one closer but thats the closest ive found so far

• Advertisement

Ya i did all that with technical support but i was told the line would only support 4mb because Im too far from the exchange. something i was not told when upgrading as i was told it could support the 7mb

Hi Menapians,

Thanks again and I apoligise for any delay replying.

If you would like your broadband connection checked, we can request engineers are sent out to investigate this right away.

In order to do this, can you please confirm the following, either with myself or directly with eircom Technical Support :

Can you provide a mobile contact phone number, in case the engineer needs to call you directly?

Do you have a monitored phone alarm?

Can you confirm that you have removed all third party equipment from your internal phone line system in your premises? (e.g: Sky box(s), private ext leads, fax, etc).

Do you accept call out charges if the fault is found to be non-eircom?

Call out charges will generally not apply if you've completed the basic Broadband Checklist advised.

If you do not accept call out charges, I can still request that an engineer investigate all aspects of your broadband connection, up to the front door of your premises. This includes, poles, street cabinets and lines to, and including the local exchange. There is no call out fee involved in this, however the engineers will not enter your premises. They will just test your connection from your front door. If they find this is fine, they will simply advise Technical Support, who in turn will contact you to advise there is no problem on eircom's side. If the engineers find there is a fault outside your premises, they will fix and resolve this.

If you wish to arrange this yourself, please call into eircom Technical Support right away.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /ref if you need to follow up on your logged fault /or PM this and we can chase this up also.

Kind regards,

Ant

Advertisement