Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numpty IM questions..

Options
  • 20-06-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've a load of little questions....

In terms of bike repairs, what did/would/will you bring? For punctures I was thinking two tubes, a few gas cannisters, tyre levers. Would you use a pump? Puncture repair kit? (The site says there will be two repair crews on the road - so is anything beyond tubes and cannisters overkill?). Normally i throw these all into my jersey pockets, but I'm planning to wear my tri race kit so guess It's all going into a saddle bag for this one. I assume I'll be able to pick up a few gas cannisters over there, since you're not meant to fly with them.

For general fixes I usually have a multitool with me, which I expect is a good idea if you've just put a bike back together incase anything comes loose?

Toilet breaks during the bike; you can leave the course for them, but there are no explicit rules against going while on the bike. Is this really the norm? I'll probably be red faced enough when it happens, so would prefer to know that its just a regular thing and not get a penalty for it (!). I hear its best to do it after just going over a hilltop......

What's all the special needs stuff about - is that just for people with medication?

Bike shoes are allowed be on the bike, or in your T1 bag. I usually have the shoes attached in other races, is there a reason to put them in the bag this time round?

I'm sure I'll have other questions but that will do to start :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Can't talk about IM but from my HIM in Austria...

I brought One tube and one CO2 canister, anything after one puncture and I would have said f*ck it my race is over. I think for an IM I would do the same. Maybe stick a second set in your special needs bag and take them if you have already punctured once by half way. Multi tool, I wouldn't bother myself... make sure your bike is 100% before the race and you will not need it.

Piss on the bike/run... tri is not for those with dignity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

All based on my one and only IM...........

In terms of bike repairs, what did/would/will you bring? For punctures I was thinking two tubes, a few gas cannisters, tyre levers. Would you use a pump? Puncture repair kit? (The site says there will be two repair crews on the road - so is anything beyond tubes and cannisters overkill?). Normally i throw these all into my jersey pockets, but I'm planning to wear my tri race kit so guess It's all going into a saddle bag for this one. I assume I'll be able to pick up a few gas cannisters over there, since you're not meant to fly with them.

I had a multi tool with a chain breaker and allen keys, tyre levers and two tubes in the saddle bag. I had a mini pump on a bike cage which I practiced using to pump up tyres to 100psi before race day. I'm not a fan of CO2 canisters. I cant use a chain breaker but I thought it would be useful to have in case a chain broke and another competitor was feeling charitable and decided to help me :rolleyes:
    What's all the special needs stuff about - is that just for people with medication?
    I had no special needs bag as I didn't fancy trying to find my bag amongst 1,500 others. As Mloc says maybe stick an old tube in the bag if you think you'll need it or a few extra gels in case of emergency but the course should be well stocked with food. Bear in mind that the bags that are not collected get binned IIRC so don't put loads of stuff in.

Toilet breaks during the bike; you can leave the course for them, but there are no explicit rules against going while on the bike. Is this really the norm? I'll probably be red faced enough when it happens, so would prefer to know that its just a regular thing and not get a penalty for it (!). I hear its best to do it after just going over a hilltop......

As I wasn't in the hunt for a Kona slot I stopped and got off to p!ss.
    Bike shoes are allowed be on the bike, or in your T1 bag. I usually have the shoes attached in other races, is there a reason to put them in the bag this time round?

Again IIRC the only thing that you can leave at your bike are your bike shoes and nothing else - but check this to be sure.

Make sure you are familiar with the race rules - a club mate of mine got a technical DQ at a IM distance race in Spain a few weeks ago for wearing her number belt under her wetsuit - a petty Spanish Tri federation official grabbed her as she was leaving the water and DQ'd her for having her belt on under her wetsuit. Nowhere in the race manual did it say that you couldn't wear a race number under your wetsuit but apparently its a Spanish rule:confused: They finally agreed to allow her to continue after nearly an hour but at that stage she had had enough and pulled out. She got an apology and a free race entry for next year from the organisers but thats not a lot of help when you've been training all year for this race:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

griffin100 wrote: »
    Make sure you are familiar with the race rules - a club mate of mine got a technical DQ at a IM distance race in Spain a few weeks ago for wearing her number belt under her wetsuit - a petty Spanish Tri federation official grabbed her as she was leaving the water and DQ'd her for having her belt on under her wetsuit. Nowhere in the race manual did it say that you couldn't wear a race number under your wetsuit but apparently its a Spanish rule:confused:

OUCH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

griffin100 wrote: »
    All based on my one and only IM...........

Make sure you are familiar with the race rules - a club mate of mine got a technical DQ at a IM distance race in Spain a few weeks ago for wearing her number belt under her wetsuit - a petty Spanish Tri federation official grabbed her as she was leaving the water and DQ'd her for having her belt on under her wetsuit. Nowhere in the race manual did it say that you couldn't wear a race number under your wetsuit but apparently its a Spanish rule:confused: They finally agreed to allow her to continue after nearly an hour but at that stage she had had enough and pulled out. She got an apology and a free race entry for next year from the organisers but thats not a lot of help when you've been training all year for this race:mad:

Thats actually one of the rules in IM Austria that they have down as a DQ (!). I don't get it, I can only assume its got to do with the swim having one sponsor and the run another.... so they dont want the run sponsor's logo appearing in any swim-finish photos??

Really seems OTT for a regular rule...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah same situation at Austria 70.3 but it was referred to at the briefing (which i missed but luckily got the info passed on to me!)

• Advertisement

Yup, quite insistant about no numbers under your wetsuit in Austria 70.3... Austria IM is run by the same company also. Makes sense I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Ok, so I've a load of little questions....

For general fixes I usually have a multitool with me, which I expect is a good idea if you've just put a bike back together incase anything comes loose?

I'm sure I'll have other questions but that will do to start :D

Is this your first? Which one are you doing?

Doing my first this Sunday in Nice. Not bricking it yet but I'm sure I will. I'll be getting off the bike to slash, I won't be near the top 3 finishers by any stretch of the mind.

Saddle Bag with 2 Co2, 2 tubes, multitool, levers. Question is why would you risk it not finishing it with only 1 tube. if you got 3 punctures you would be very unlucky. Only takes 5mins to change.

Best of luck whenever your out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

For bike repairs I just took two tubes, a CO2 pump, two canisters and tyre levers. If you're competent using the CO2 canisters, then I don't see the need for a pump. I kept all these in a water bottle on the frame of my bike. That left me with the aero bottle on the front of the bike and the other bottle on frame of bike to use for fluids. With aid stations at such regular intervals, you shouldn't need any more. I don't know what the rules are on carrying CO2 canisters on planes, but I was able to take mine on as part of my cabin luggage. A club mate who also raced in Copenhagen, had to remove them from his bike bag though. But you can carry aerosols as part of your cabin luggage, are these any different to gas canisters?

I'd bring the multi-tool to put your bike back together, but I don't think there's any need to take it to the race. Cycle your bike after putting it back together, if there's anything loose you should find out then.

Piss on the bike would be my advice, I don't think it matters whether you're trying to qualify for Kona or not. Stopping just takes up too much time, and considering you'd be prudish enough to stop in the first place, you're probably going to waste more time seeking some privacy. Don't know if there's an optimum time to go, I just stopped pedaling and went whenever. And seemingly, stopping pedaling isn't even wholly necessary. I've never raced an Ironman branded event, but I'm pretty sure there's no marshals out to bust people for pissing, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I think the special needs bags are just if you want your own nutritional products and not those supplied by the organisers. I'm not sure who is expected to hand them to you. In Challenge Copenhagen, I think you had to have a friend do it, and they had to be standing in designated areas along the route.

Again I can't answer with certainty for Ironman® events, but I doubt they forbid you from having your shoes clipped into the pedals.

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Is this your first? Which one are you doing?

Yep, this is the first.. heading for Austria on sunday week.
    Doing my first this Sunday in Nice. Not bricking it yet but I'm sure I will. I'll be getting off the bike to slash, I won't be near the top 3 finishers by any stretch of the mind.

Yeah, I'm going to be a long way from the front but time is time... and if i save 10mins by peeing on the bike for one day its an extra 10mins i dont have to train for. At this stage I don't know if i could knock that off a swim with another year of training, and i'd struggle to improve my run pb by that much. So ill take it :)
    Saddle Bag with 2 Co2, 2 tubes, multitool, levers. Question is why would you risk it not finishing it with only 1 tube. if you got 3 punctures you would be very unlucky. Only takes 5mins to change.

I know someone who DNFd at a 70.3 recently after three punctures! If anything im being paranoid, if I thought I'd need it id find a way to strap 5 tubes to the bike! :D

Good luck this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Am I the only fool that goes with a mini pump?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Are the numbers readable after the swim?

CO2 and two spare tubes.
    Special needs another spare tube and extra co2

Piss on the bike. So spare socks in T2.

Stand No Tubes in the tyres. Doesn't hurt rolling resistance.

Exiting T1 in Austria can be chaos. A lot to be said for putting your shoes on in the changing tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Izoard wrote: »
    Am I the only fool that goes with a mini pump?:eek:

I just had a mini pump tucked into the chest part of my tri suit for the Challenge Barca HIM. I did forget to take it out coming out of T2 into the run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

that was so close to 'Id a mini pump in my tri pants' its still funny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sunscreen
    Ok I've heard P20 is the biz. One application? Or do you spray it on again at T2?

Car hire
    Whats the smallest car you can get 2 people and a bike box into?

Night run
    There is an organised night run 2 days before the vent. 12.4k. Prob an hour at gentle pace. Too much?

C02 canisters
    Do they get more PSI in than a hand pump can?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

C02 canisters

Yes - so quicker to reinflate plus you wont be at only 90-100psi. Make sure your not a 'pincher' or you ll be flying through tubes though.

I ll leave the rest for others

Sunscreen
    Ok I've heard P20 is the biz. One application? Or do you spray it on again at T2?

I used p20 in Austria, once before the swim. I did get burnt but not badly. I think all the sponges on the run washed the remains of it off.
    Car hire
    Whats the smallest car you can get 2 people and a bike box into?

'Golf or similar' as the rental agencies put it.

C02 canisters

Thanks

How are people not using C02, I could not imagine going back to a minipump. 16g can will pump a tyre to about 120psi afaik. Use one at home first to test them out.

Sunscreen

I'd just play it by ear. If it's sunny at the start of the race apply it then, have a bottle in your T2 bag and if you think it'll be sunny for the three plus hours you'll be out running, apply it then. This is what I did for my race, I didn't actually use any, probably could have, but I didn't suffer for want of sunscreen.
    Night run
    There is an organised night run 2 days before the vent. 12.4k. Prob an hour at gentle pace. Too much?

I think so, just do your own shorter run, about half that distance. Push it for the middle third, finish and get back to sitting down.
    C02 canisters

Depends how strong you are, I guess.;)

Most mini pumps are only rated to less than 100psi. Which means closer to 80. Some upto 140 though. Got a new one recently that is.

Would go co2. But remember co2 leaks out(albeit over days)

Suncream - transfer to hotel shampoo bottles and take a few with you on the run. Sunburn is an illness and the body will try to recover in the later ether of the run and performance affects. Have loads on before getting intl the water.

Remember that there is UVA and UVB protection. One stops sunburn the other cancer. Most creams are just for sunburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

mloc123 wrote: »
    I used p20 in Austria, once before the swim. I did get burnt but not badly. I think all the sponges on the run washed the remains of it off.

'Golf or similar' as the rental agencies put it.

How are people not using C02, I could not imagine going back to a minipump. 16g can will pump a tyre to about 120psi afaik. Use one at home first to test them out.

I used p20 in Frankfurt last year ...put it on before the swim which was non wetsuit .Slapped some ordinary stuff on also on shoulders at start of run..and I mean slapped. Did not get burned at all. Got fried in placid the year before.

Shoes were at bike. Had air champ pro co2 canister plus mini pump at side of water bottle. Two tubes. Tyre levers. All cliff blocks in top tube box . 26 of them.

Orbea due to curved design can only carry one water bottle. So had profile design drinks container on handlebars. Would not do that again. going with torpedo wedge on handlebars which carries regular bottle.

Hatchback car mid size that seats fold down.

3 pisses off bike at side of road. 1 to many :)
    have not mastered on bike
    Stay away from water. Only dilutes your salt

Iso drinks only

If u have not pissed after 90 mins on bike your dehydrated. Drink drink drink

Salt tabs

Best of luck

• Advertisement

3 pisses off bike at side of road. 1 to many :)
    have not mastered on bike

It's not exactly rocket science.:) I just stop pedalling and it's as natural as breathing.
    Stay away from water. Only dilutes your salt

That'd be a big no, no for me. Drink plenty of water is what I'd say. Your stomach needs it to digest food, this is my understanding. Your body's not limited to the supply of salt it has starting the race, no more than it is limited to the supply of water it has. You're able to drink, you're also able to eat. Sports drinks, food and gels should replenish the sodium you lose through sweat. Plus you lose far more water sweating, than you do salts. Fair enough you're drinking sports drinks, but it makes no sense to me just to be just chiefly replacing the salts. But maybe science can prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

zico10 wrote: »
    It's not exactly rocket science.:) I just stop pedalling and it's as natural as breathing.

That'd be a big no, no for me. Drink plenty of water is what I'd say. Your stomach needs it to digest food, this is my understanding. Your body's not limited to the supply of salt it has starting the race, no more than it is limited to the supply of water it has. You're able to drink, you're also able to eat. Sports drinks, food and gels should replenish the sodium you lose through sweat. Plus you lose far more water sweating, than you do salts. Fair enough you're drinking sports drinks, but it makes no sense to me just to be just chiefly replacing the salts. But maybe science can prove me wrong.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. However there is plenty of water in isotonic drinks. Just telling what worked for me. Had only isotonic drinks throughout and lots of it. Did not have any stomach issues, cramp issues and did not walk once during the run and there were plenty of people walking :)

Ok, i knew I'd have more questions.. :D

Aid stations: On the bike, do they give you replacement regular 750ml bike bottles? Or just bottles of water with the tops off that you refill from?

@ IM CH, they gave you 750ml bike bottles of water, so you just tossed the ones you had that were empty.

BTW, what was the outcome on the CO2 - OK to bring on the plane (Hand luggage or in the hold?) or no?

Izoard wrote: »
    BTW, what was the outcome on the CO2 - OK to bring on the plane (Hand luggage or in the hold?) or no?

The internets say you cant pack co2 for either hand luggage or into the bike box, so I picked up a tiny pump as a backup and will (i hope!!) be able to find some co2 in klagenfurt. It sounds like the sort of thing that people will be looking for, so hopefully will be able to get it there!

At IMUK they gave you 750ml bike bottles of either water or Gatorade so you could just toss the empty one at the aid station.

Austria 70.3 were 700ml bottles of water, powerbar or coke. Klagenfurt are the same company so would expect the same this year. Pick up co2 in the expo when registering. I packed some in my bike box with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thanks for starting this thread bythe way KingQuez, 'tis useful so 'tis

The T2 bag dumb question: since I'll be changing from cycling shorts to running shorts I'll need a towel in there big enough to wrap around me? Whats the penalty of the towel falls down :confused:

Thanks for starting this thread bythe way KingQuez, 'tis useful so 'tis

The T2 bag dumb question: since I'll be changing from cycling shorts to running shorts I'll need a towel in there big enough to wrap around me? Whats the penalty of the towel falls down :confused:

It is Germany...certainly in Switzerland, no one was bothering with towels, so I just joined in:)

• Advertisement

The T2 bag dumb question: since I'll be changing from cycling shorts to running shorts I'll need a towel in there big enough to wrap around me? Whats the penalty of the towel falls down

Imagine missing your sub 10 goal because you got delayed in T2 trying to stop people looking at your teeny weeny;)

At the pointy end of the field (no pun intended) where you'r going to be I don't think there's much of an issue with nudity. I have read mention of penalties for nudity but based on what I seen in T1 and T2 last year half the field would be DQ'd. Just make sure there are no TV cameras in your face when changing:)

Advertisement