Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numpty IM questions..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Actually Roth is a Challenge event so starts in waves. As such I expect T2 to be busier! Its not a tee towel I'll need to pack you know, do you ever got off the turbo after a couple of hours and the blood rushes up from the legs!

See, its these quality triathlon related conversations that we are missing with the Forum structures as is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

What's the deal with changing to run/bike shorts MCOS, for comfort? I figured I use my tri kit for every other race so wasn't going to bother with a full change in T1/T2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah comfort. Plus if its hot the running shorts are lighter and airier (is that a word?), I'll keep the tri top on so I can stuff gels in the pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Does anyone run with a fuel belt or is it a waste of time given that there will be aid stations?

Just realised from the last post by MCOS that I'll probably need to get a tri top as all I have are tri suits and don't fancy running the distance in a tri suit. Must try it on a few long runs first as all my long runs are in running shorts.

There I was thinking it was all about swim, bike and run....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If the aid stations have the gels you use, I would use them. If not, as is often the case I'd carry my own. I carried mine for the run in Austria in my tri-suit pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

pgibbo wrote: »
    Does anyone run with a fuel belt or is it a waste of time given that there will be aid stations?

Just realised from the last post by MCOS that I'll probably need to get a tri top as all I have are tri suits and don't fancy running the distance in a tri suit. Must try it on a few long runs first as all my long runs are in running shorts.

There I was thinking it was all about swim, bike and run....:D

I switched to a tri suit this year and got through the HIM and Double Oly with no problems. In both cases threw on a pair of cycling shorts for some extra padding on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Izoard wrote: »
    I switched to a tri suit this year and got through the HIM and Double Oly with no problems. In both cases threw on a pair of cycling shorts for some extra padding on the bike.

Does a tri suit not make it a bit more awkward to... ehhh...use the toilet facilities or does that not occur on an IM if you're on hi carb diet for the day? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Izoard wrote: »

I've used a 1 piece tri suit up to HIM distance without any issues so perhaps it will be fine for IM too. Cheers Izoard.

@RedB, it's only a matter of seconds slower to pull down a tri suit versus the shorts on a 2 piece. Mind you, those few seconds could be vital! :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »
    I've used a 1 piece tri suit up to HIM distance without any issues so perhaps it will be fine for IM too. Cheers Izoard.

@RedB, it's only a matter of seconds slower to pull down a tri suit versus the shorts on a 2 piece. Mind you, those few seconds could be vital! :eek:

@RedB, I recently discovered the joys of eh, not getting off the bike for toilet stops - having said that, I've never had a serious decision to make on that front.:)

@pgibbo - I'd use your own belt and gels.
    I use 2 belts - 1 with just my number for the bike and then add the 2nd belt with the gels for the run.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah jeez this thread is putting the wind up me with HIM Antwerp four weeks away. Ive only just realised the transitions for IM events are different.

Is a mini pump a necessary thing to have? I can only pump 3Opsi with one so was relying on co2, in spite of never having used one yet. :)

Good to hear that an extra pair of shorts are the done thing on the bike. Was afraid my saddle would have sawn me in half by 56m in a trisuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Oryx wrote: »
    was relying on co2, in spite of never having used one yet. :)

Deflate a tyre and practise in your bedroom. Watch youtube clips if you have to, I really don't think there is anything complicated about it. And after one or two goes you'll feel the same. If a flat happens in a race, take a second and relax, think about what you're doing and it'll be the same as if you're in your bedroom. (Luckily I've never punctured in a race, but this is what I'd be telling myself if I did.)
    Good to hear that an extra pair of shorts are the done thing on the bike. Was afraid my saddle would have sawn me in half by 56m in a trisuit.

Obviously one or two boardsies wear an extra pair of shorts, but I'm fairly certain this is not the done thing. '56 miles' saw you 'in half?' How long have your long cycles been? Surely you can survive longer, and far longer, than this. For me at least, two pairs of shorts is way too much, but hey, whatever you're comfortable with.

The long cycles are long enough but in normal shorts I still get injured. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thats the second time in this forum someone posted that especially for me. :) I am hard enough. Its my ar5e that isn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Thats the second time in this forum someone posted that especially for me. :) I am hard enough. Its my ar5e that isn't. :(

Just seeing these posts now as back from hols.

One pair of shorts and plenty of chamois butter on b4 u swim. Done the trick for both mine full distance.

Why waste time in transition?.....if u there longer than 5 mins thats too long..unless the tranistion is miles away

Tri top and shorts on under wetsuit. number at bike. Chamois butter and sun screen b4 swim. Out of water to bike or change tent..westsuit off,shoes on,helmet on ,sunglasses on,number on....on yer bike!

Going off topic here but had to take a second look when i signed up for Frankfurt 2012 a couple of weeks back. 519 euro including active fee. fook me.

Holy cow thats expensive. Better talk nice to the credit union for next year, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sunscreen
    Ok I've heard P20 is the biz. One application? Or do you spray it on again at T2?

I've heard from a long distance OW swimmer that you should apply the sun screen the night before so that your skin is saturated with it, then reapply first thing in the morning when you wake up, then again shortly before the swim.

SPF multiplied by 10 is the number of minutes that you will have protection for so you need a high SPF - SPF50 will be useless after 500min so you need to reapply before the run or get a higher SPF.

You can't be too careful these days with the sun...perfect solution for the grey-skinned Paddies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

BUMP - Worth reviewing :). I'll be adding to the numpty questions next week

<Mods - might be better moved under Tri sub-forum>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I think that Mr Tango won the Hardman last year and is also Technical advisor or maybe someone else including Alan from Hardman may be able to answer this first timer question.

On the bike course and perhaps the run, will they be giving out bottles of Maxifuel Active Energy drink? I can carry 2-3 of my own pre-mixed bottles maybe to start the bike but they will obviously need repleneshing so was wondering how that will work. I have started using the Maxifuel in training and while I am not mad about it taste wise I just want to be sure as there is no point in using this if it is not available on race day. I hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I think that Mr Tango won the Hardman last year and is also Technical advisor or maybe someone else including Alan from Hardman may be able to answer this first timer question.

But Mr. Tango and the winner of the inaugural Hardman are in the same club. However Mr Tango IS NOT Mr. Carberry. Although I can see how his all year round natural tanned/orange colour would mislead people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

tunney wrote: »
    But Mr. Tango and the winner of the inaugural Hardman are in the same club. However Mr Tango IS NOT Mr. Carberry. Although I can see how his all year round natural tanned/orange colour would mislead people.

Thanks Dave, my mistake.

I went through the race manual again and it states that energy drink will be available at the hydration stations so maybe it will be a case of refilling our own bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭too much trifle

Sunscreen

Car hire
    Whats the smallest car you can get 2 people and a bike box into?

Thanks
    i went to the euros in spain last year and got two people and bike box in a fiat 500:D,
    great car, loved it:)

1. I've got one of the little profile design aero bottles recently, although last year I just used two bottles in the cages on my bike. So.. the question is stick with two regular bottles and ignore the profile bottle as its small and water goes everywhere if you hit a bump, use two bottles in cages but use them to refil the profile to drink from, or just have one bottle and the profile bottle?

If the swim is non-wetsuit, would you wear togs and change into tri kit in T1, or wear the tri shorts in the swim (for some reason they feel like they add drag if i dont have a wetsuit over them, or else Im just making excuses for being slower in a pool when i wear them!)?

Peeing on the bike is listed as a minor offense (yellow card, two yellows give a time penalty, a third card = dq), do the pros/agegroupers really hold it in and find designated portaloos or is this just to discourage doing it in built up areas or where there are spectators??

kingQuez wrote: »
    1. I've got one of the little profile design aero bottles recently, although last year I just used two bottles in the cages on my bike. So.. the question is stick with two regular bottles and ignore the profile bottle as its small and water goes everywhere if you hit a bump, use two bottles in cages but use them to refil the profile to drink from, or just have one bottle and the profile bottle?

If the swim is non-wetsuit, would you wear togs and change into tri kit in T1, or wear the tri shorts in the swim (for some reason they feel like they add drag if i dont have a wetsuit over them, or else Im just making excuses for being slower in a pool when i wear them!)?

Peeing on the bike is listed as a minor offense (yellow card, two yellows give a time penalty, a third card = dq), do the pros/agegroupers really hold it in and find designated portaloos or is this just to discourage doing it in built up areas or where there are spectators??

Which race are you talking about here?

tunney wrote: »
    Which race are you talking about here?

Specifically frankfurt, although the rules seem to be the generic set from WTC.

Just remembered my favorite bit of the rules for the run section "It is permitted to run, walk or crawl, other forms of forward motion are not permitted". Nice contrast to ITU where crawling is not allowed :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just remembered my favorite bit of the rules for the run section "It is permitted to run, walk or crawl, other forms of forward motion are not permitted". Nice contrast to ITU where crawling is not allowed :)

No cartwheeling down the finishing straight then? :(

So no hopping, skipping or jumping, then. :)

• Advertisement

Specifically frankfurt, although the rules seem to be the generic set from WTC.

Wee away on the bike, I know I did.

If its a non wetsuit I would either swim in togs and put gear on over it (I ride and run with togs under my shorts anyways for support), or buy a WTC legal fastskin to use.

Advertisement