Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numpty IM questions..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Opinions please! Thought i would put these queries in this old (and useful) thread rather than starting a new thread, hope someone sees it!

Doing my first IM in soon; Challenge Barcelona, and just have a few queries, please forgive me if these have already been discussed before:

Firstly, pointy hat or not?
    I bought a nice white pointy hat for the race and have used it in a few races already and it feels faster! However, i remember an old episode of IMTalk they described them as 'ovens for you head' unless you are competing for an age-group category? It might be hot there in Barcelona?

Trisuit for whole race or change in transition? Im comfortable in my club trisuit up to HIM distance however im worried that the salty sea water may cause chafing later on. Should i put on trisuit or even cycling gear in T1 (and then run gear in T2) or just leave it under wetsuit for whole swim?

In the changing area, am i right in thinking you have someone to help you find your bag?...or is the bag in the changing area already, or does someone run off and get it for you and then you get it and run into the change tent?

Are the change tents unisex? i.e. Can u get completely nekkid in the change tent or that not the done thing?

On course nutrition in Barcelona
    What fuel do they have on the course there? I think i read somewhere that its hifive (which i use anyway), do they have regular gels, or isogels or both, and what about other foods e.g. bananas etc. I also read somewhere that they have bottles of weak hifive for the cycle. Anyone have any idea how weak/strong this might be e.g. i currently use 3 scoops of hifive energy source in 800mls bottles i.e. 270 cals and it tastes fine!

Finally, on the run, is it the the usual gels/water/flat coke affair?

All replies gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It was around 30 on the bike and run over there last year. No idea if a pointy hat does turn in to an oven or not as I don;t have one. Plenty of people used them there last year.

I used tri shorts and full length zip cycling jersey on the bike. I changed the jersey for a running tee in T2. No isues with leaving the shorts on for the duration. I wouldn't risk a one piece above HIM.

It was High 5 last year too. I only drank water on course so no idea how strong the mix is. They didn't have IsoGels on the run. It was the standard High5 gels, fruit, water and coke for the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

The shoes I'm going to wear next weekend are cycling shoes, not triathlon shoes, and aren't designed for getting feet into on the go.

As you're not allowed leave anything on the ground in transition, would it be an infringement of the rules if I had my shoes clipped into my pedals and took them off, to put on at my bike? Or would running with them from the changing tent to my bike with them in my hands, to put on at my bike, be a rule violation?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

zico10 wrote: »
    The shoes I'm going to wear next weekend are cycling shoes, not triathlon shoes, and aren't designed for getting feet into on the go.

As you're not allowed leave anything on the ground in transition, would it be an infringement of the rules if I had my shoes clipped into my pedals and took them off, to put on at my bike? Or would running with them from the changing tent to my bike with them in my hands, to put on at my bike, be a rule violation?

We were told at CPH that we couldn't run with shoes in hands. Assuming your wearing socks would it not just save time to put them on in T1?

We were told at CPH that we couldn't run with shoes in hands. Assuming your wearing socks would it not just save time to put them on in T1?

I wouldn't be running with shoes in hand if I had them clipped into my pedals. :) But I guess the rule is in place as they don't want people stopping at their bikes. Although, they've no problem with you putting on your race number and helmet at your bike.

I'm not sure what other Ironman transitions are like, but Mallorca's is a pretty long one. I'd lose time running in cleats and I think I'd be quicker running from the changing tent to my bike and putting the shoes on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I wouldn't be running with shoes in hand if I had them clipped into my pedals. :) But I guess the rule is in place as they don't want people stopping at their bikes. Although, they've no problem with you putting on your race number and helmet at your bike.

I'm not sure what other Ironman transitions are like, but Mallorca's is a pretty long one. I'd lose time running in cleats and I think I'd be quicker running from the changing tent to my bike and putting the shoes on there.

On that. Check the briefing. Some races don't require you put on belt until the run. Wont make you faster but number can be annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I did the half there twice and left shoes on pedals both times. It's the same transition so don't see why different rules should apply. Who is going to stop you unclipping them and putting your feet in? I would assume the rule is to prevent too much clutter...

EC1000 wrote: »
    I did the half there twice and left shoes on pedals both times. It's the same transition so don't see why different rules should apply. Who is going to stop you unclipping them and putting your feet in? I would assume the rule is to prevent too much clutter...

This is in the Ironman rule book;
    Athletes cannot stop in the flow zones of the transition area; (Stop‐and‐Go Time Penalty) and

I can imagine a referee interpreting someone kneeling down to put on their bike shoes, as stopping in the flow zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

This is in the Ironman rule book;

I can imagine a referee interpreting someone kneeling down to put on their bike shoes, as stopping in the flow zone.

In CPH last year. My buddy was threatened with a stop and go penalty for coming out out of t1 tent with his socks in his hand. He was going put them on when he was at his bike. He had to throw them in the bin or else go back to the tent and put them on. Seemed a bit harsh tbh..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i asked specifically about putting shoes on at the bike at Copenhagen. told no way, it was considered changing race gear on the course and not allowed. either put the shoes on in the tent, or leave them on the bike as they were then part of the biek equipment so no penalty.

had the same issue, was using road shoes so had to put them on in the tent, and as a result of that and speedplay pedals i ended up with a very slow walk/half jog from tent to bike to mount line

• Advertisement
Advertisement