Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to seal vaopour barrier penetrations (e.g. for sockets) in insulated plasterboard

• 20-06-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hello,

I have services already mounted on the wall.

I am about to mount insulated board on battens on the wall.

The vapour control layer in the board is meant to form a continuous seal to prevent warm air getting to the back of the board and condensing.

Where the services are going to come through the board there will be a hole. How should I seal that?

I have heard mention of
    intumescent mastic
    silicon sealant

But I'm not sure if either is the correct thing or what to do with them to seal the socket?

e.g. a box for a plug socket, do I run some silicon sealant all over the outside of the box, and then put the insulate board on top? and some intumescent mastic inside the socket box?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

well tell me, how do you seal the joints between each section of plasterboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

...and the gap between the plasterboard and the floor.

I think the idea isn't that you prevent every atom of vapor transport across the panel but that you eliminate it as near as damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I think the OP is talking about sealing the vapour barrier behind the plasterboard, not in front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I think the OP is talking about sealing the vapour barrier behind the plasterboard, not in front of it.

"I am about to mount insulated board on battens on the wall. The vapour control layer in the board is meant to form a continuous seal to prevent warm air getting to the back of the board and condensing."

The vapour barrier would be between the plasterboard and the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OP?

Come on, clarify for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

"I am about to mount insulated board on battens on the wall. The vapour control layer in the board is meant to form a continuous seal to prevent warm air getting to the back of the board and condensing."

The vapour barrier would be between the plasterboard and the insulation.

Aaah, right so ted.

Advertisement