Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nixers for a junior web developer?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm working as a junior developer at the moment, but the salary is poor and I gots bills to pay :D

I'm looking for the best way to supplement my income with nixers on the weekend, etc.

My design skill are fairly limited unfortunately...

There was a website (not sure if it was Irish specifically) where developers could bid on work that people needed done, can't remember what it was. Would these be jobs that could be done easily enough? Good place to start?

Any other suggestions for picking up some extra cash? I'm a XHTML/CSS/JS/PHP monkey, and I'm pretty good at Photoshop.

Cheers gang...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Is this what you are after? Rent-a-coder. Be careful what you sign up to on that site. Some right rip-offs on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 johnsmith13

I was never sign up to anything like that.....

You are competing with people who will always do it cheaper then you. I have seens people requesting "Facebook with more" (that is most of the spec) for $20-$30.

I was able to pick up work helping small businesses and I have used word of mouth from them to get me some more business! Maybe if you look locally first you maybe able to find a bite of work that will lead onto more.

Maybe even a job for a charity which in itself would be free but you could use as a reference for more work

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Another one of those online sites is elance.com, but as johnsmith says you need to be very careful on sites like that, although you can get people that are perfectly legitimate and a pleasure to work with, you can also encounter absolute nightmares. Just building up a portfolio would be a great thing to do, even though you wont make much money (or any) at first, you can build this into something that gives an emplyer a reason to pay you more.

Also I saw that you didn't list SQL in your list of proficiencies, where as you already have a very good grounding, you may want to take a look into this as it is very popular and sought after at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks guys

Joneser - that was just an oversight, I do have pretty good SQL actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Throw up ads in local shops about making websites for people, and you might get some interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement