Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cereal Bars- Ripoff

Options
  • 20-06-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

I love the Kellogs Elevenses bars, in particular the chocolate chip one.

I had been paying €1 for the bar in Spar in O'Connell Street and €1 for it in Londis at the corner of Aston Quay/Westmoreland Street.

Last Friday however i was in Dunnes Store on North Earl Street and saw that the bar was only 72cent there! Thats a difference of 28cent for just one bar! Madness! :eek:

P.S. I do know it would be better value to buy the mutli pack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Think you have answered your own gripe there... if you buy one a day for lunch in work etc, you would save a fortune if you just bought a multipack each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I love the Kellogs Elevenses bars, in particular the chocolate chip one.

I had been paying €1 for the bar in Spar in O'Connell Street and €1 for it in Londis at the corner of Aston Quay/Westmoreland Street.

Last Friday however i was in Dunnes Store on North Earl Street and saw that the bar was only 72cent there! Thats a difference of 28cent for just one bar! Madness! :eek:

I don't always defend high-street retailers, but when I do....

Nah, here's the run down:

The Spar/Londis shops are known as 'convenience' stores for a reason - they are there to provide what you need when you need it.

Now, for this service they (whether they are entitled to it or not) are able to charge a higher price. Also, most of these shops are franchises, meaning the prices will generally differ from shop-to-shop.

And we must also keep in mind that the rent on O'Connell Street is an awful lot higher than some retail park where your Dunnes Stores is (Dunnes being a major company with huge turnover is also another factor here; they can afford to buy products by the massive bulk, meaning they can sell it cheaper to you the customer).

So take the above points into account whenever you think you are being ripped off over a cereal bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I don't always defend high-street retailers, but when I do....

And we must also keep in mind that the rent on O'Connell Street is an awful lot higher than some retail park where your Dunnes Stores is (Dunnes being a major company with huge turnover is also another factor here; they can afford to buy products by the massive bulk, meaning they can sell it cheaper to you the customer).

For the record, the Dunnes Stores that i was in and as i said in my earlier post, is located on North Earl Street. This is about 20 seconds from O'Connell Street and not in some retail park as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

For the record, the Dunnes Stores that i was in and as i said in my earlier post, is located on North Earl Street. This is about 20 seconds from O'Connell Street and not in some retail park as you suggested.

Okay that's fair enough, but all of the other points still stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So why is it that you won't go from the Spar on O'Connell St to the Dunnes in North Earl St to save money, yet you moan about it on here?

By your own admission they're very close by. By your own deduction you would save money.

Hardly a rip off if you use the convenience store for your own laziness/convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

My local spar is selling whiskas cat food for 3.49 / 12 pack, Dunnes are selling the same one for 4.89 - is Dunnes ripping me off?

There are thousands of products in these stores - if they all sold at th same price it would be a cartel. Convenience stores will nearly always be more expensive than a supermarket, but in a supermarket you may have to q for longer, it may take longer to locate the item. At 22c based on €10 per hour wages, it would have to take less than 1.5 minutes extra time to make it worth your while buying it in dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

So why is it that you won't go from the Spar on O'Connell St to the Dunnes in North Earl St to save money, yet you moan about it on here?

By your own admission they're very close by. By your own deduction you would save money.

Hardly a rip off if you use the convenience store for your own laziness/convenience.

I think you need to re-read my earlier posts:D
    I started this thread because last Friday i was Dunnes Stores on North Earl Street(as i've said already.. twice.) I didn't realise the bar would be so much cheaper there until i purchased it.

Obviously, now i'll be popping into Dunnes instead. I'm going to check if they have the multi pack too and start saving even more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I started this thread because last Friday i was Dunnes Stores on North Earl Street(as i've said already.. twice.) I didn't realise the bar would be so much cheaper there until i purchased it.

Obviously, now i'll be popping into Dunnes instead. I'm going to check if they have the multi pack too and start saving even more money!

I have no idea when this forum was created but it seems after all these years people don't seem to understand the point.

If you find something cheaper somewhere else, then vote with your feet and purchase it at the cheaper price.

A rip off would be the spar selling the cereal bar for 1e you open it and it's really a dried turd. (bad example in this case as cereal bars generally taste like one :D )

large stores can buy in much bigger quantities and generally get much larger discounts.

Spars/londis/centra are there as a convenience usually for people who don't want to travel to the bigger store as the spar etc are more "local" so you also pay for the convenience of it.

this is _not_ a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ntlbell wrote: »
    I have no idea when this forum was created but it seems after all these years people don't seem to understand the point.

If you find something cheaper somewhere else, then vote with your feet and purchase it at the cheaper price.

Agree totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Seriously OP, how old are you? Don't you do your own shopping? Forgive me if that sounds patronising but haven't you ever been in a Dunnes supermarket before? I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't realise that goods are cheaper in the main supermarkets.

If you don't know the basic principles that the bigger shops have a bigger range and bigger buying power then I dread to think what you spend the rest of your money on!!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

There's also the fact that the vast majority of the symbol stores are paying a percentage of turnover fee back to the symbol themselves. Also a huge portion of Spar stores are owned, financed and leased back to the store operator by one major player who also gets a set percentage of turnover in fees too. I can only assume similar situations play out in other groups. Anything up to 10% of the sale price of every item in such stores is a direct running cost that the bigger supermarket doesn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I, for one, am shocked that a large supermarket sells things for cheaper then a small newsagent/convenience store.

Next you will be telling me that it is cheaper the buy things over the internet then is to buy it in shops!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ntlbell wrote: »
    A rip off would be the spar selling the cereal bar for 1e you open it and it's really a dried turd. (bad example in this case as cereal bars generally taste like one :D )

Hmm... begs the question ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

parsi wrote: »
    Hmm... begs the question ...

The rip off comes from the Distributor in Ireland.

Manufactured in the UK, Imported, Marked Up and Sold On.

IF its an agent then the Middleman factor comes into play and that is a major factor in price difference between the Country of Origin price and the retail price here.

In the case of the turd that is K cereal bars, its the same company in both places.

Thats a RIP OFF.

Currency difference Plus Import costs Plus local costs Plus vat difference Plus 30% for the crack,

Thats the RIP OFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

SARZY wrote: »
    The rip off comes from the Distributor in Ireland.

Manufactured in the UK, Imported, Marked Up and Sold On.

IF its an agent then the Middleman factor comes into play and that is a major factor in price difference between the Country of Origin price and the retail price here.

In the case of the turd that is K cereal bars, its the same company in both places.

Thats a RIP OFF.

Currency difference Plus Import costs Plus local costs Plus vat difference Plus 30% for the crack,

Thats the RIP OFF.

In many cases local distribution brings the price down.

Manufactured in UK and sold in a quantiy of say 6 display boxes. - Whats the cost of delivery from UK to Ireland? + retailer would get no discount.

A distributor on the other hand buys in huge bulk, saves on shipping costs, gets discount and can send in whatever quantity on to the local shop with all the other distributed goods - hence a further saving on delivery.

Thats why theres very little difference in grocery prices in UK & Ireland anymore. (NI shopping centres no longer have swades of southern cars in their carparks)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I was up there a few weeks back in Belfast and Newry.
    At least half the cars were ROI number plates!

Advertisement