Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you want to eat at a BBQ??

Options
  • 20-06-2011 1:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping for some help here. I'm having a bbq at the weekend and one of the guests is a vegetarian. I want to cook her something she would enjoy and not just to have to rely on the 'sides'.
    I was thinking about skewers maybe with halloumi or paneer but would love to hear some suggestions and recommendations please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Maybe some quorn chicken burgers?

If I went to a bbq, i'd be delighted to see halloumi there.:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Does she eat mock-meats? If so, the easiest thing to do is some of that - Redwood sausages, Quorn burgers or Fry's burgers, etc.

Otherwise bean burgers can be quite nice, I found a recipe here that looks quite nice, but there's loads on the internet.

Kebabs using veg and tofu are good too. I'm not sure how well paneer would work on a BBQ, but I've never tried so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Bbq'd haloumi is really tasty ,I cooked it for my vegetarian sister at my last one.Or how about a vegetable kebab? Courgette ,red onion ,peppers,mushroom on a skewers and brush with olive oil - hmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

you could make gazpacho for all your guests. then nobody would have to eat meat :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3glcHYn2hw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I usually bring some corn-on-the-cob. Put some butter/olive oil and salt on it, wrap it in tin-foil and stick it on the bbq until it's done. It's not exactly gourmet but it's tasty and easy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for the advice, not sure if she eats 'mock meat' not so think I'll stay away from it. I think I'll do some veg kebabs and the halloumi - does it need marinating first??
    BBQ'd corn on the cob sounds yummy - must try that as it would go down well with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

halloumi and veg skewers would be awesome. I'm also going to link you to this........
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72858329&postcount=686 coz I'm lazy and it sounded amazing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

skewers of mushrooms, courgette, aubergine, halloumi, paneer etc

corn on the cob

fake meats

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Post deleted, do not post like this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Get some tomatoes, scoop out the seeds and brush them with some olive oil and dried basil mixed together, stuff with torn up sweet basil leaves and cheese of your choice, put in tin foil and bbq :D really tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

skewers of mushrooms, courgette, aubergine, halloumi, paneer etc

corn on the cob

fake meats

I'd skip the fake meats myself, but all of the above.
    Aubergine sears well. Corn tastes great a little smoked.
    Halloumi rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'd echo a lot of the above stuff! Be wary of the fact that a lot of veggies wouldn't be cool with having their food cooked with meat (I know I don't like the idea!) so either cook the veggie stuff first, or on a separate part of the BBQ, or else go for something wrapped in tinfoil. Perhaps that's not an issue for your friend though.

Barbecued bananas are amazing as an after-thought too! Cut the banana lengthways, throw in some bits of chocolate, nuts or other fruit (strawberries are lovely!) and wrap in tinfoil, then just chuck it on. Mmmmm...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for all your advice, ended up making veg skewers and veg & Halloumi ones, also made some couscous with roasted veg as well.
    Went down very well with everyone - not just my friend.
    Will def do more of them the next time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Athough I'm not the one who asked the question, I was about to do it and I'd like to thank everybody for the replies. :)
    In my case, unfortunately, I really don't like fake meats or grilled vegetables; I love vegetables, but I absolutely hate them grilled (and I triem them all already). Oh, well... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

... even sweet potato?! :eek:

Grilled Sweet Potato and Halloumi salad- looks savage and a bit different from a veg skewer or veggieburger!

Ironically, I was not even thinking of sweet potatoes. They are one of the few vegetables I won't eat at all (together with turnip, brussels sprouts, beetroot and a few others). I'm not a fussy eater, but they just won't go down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Oh dear, maybe you should do what I do and go straight for the dessert!

BBQ'd chocolate bananas

Perhaps I should... By the way, I swear I'm not making fun of you (or anyone else): I love bananas and chocolate, but I can't stand them together! LOL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

daigo75 wrote: »
    Ironically, I was not even thinking of sweet potatoes. They are one of the few vegetables I won't eat at all (together with turnip, brussels sprouts, beetroot and a few others). I'm not a fussy eater, but they just won't go down...
    I look forward for months to my brussels sprouts for dinner every Christmas! :eek:

(Sorry, just felt like sharing that, it usually gets me stared at! Seriously though, try them with chilli and lemongrass ;))

I also enjoy beetroot in chocolate cake, though admittedly I was sceptical at first...

Advertisement