Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what computer languages are suitable for young kids?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 6 year old going on 7 and I downloaded a LOGO application at the weekend, he seems to be able to take in the logic of how it works and can draw some basic shapes etc using the commands, so I'll stick with it for the time being. What is the best way to build on this? are there other languages worth trying? tried to google it but got lost in the detail.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i started on basic at around 7/8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

try Scratch for something a bit kid friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Same as ntlbell started with Basic on the C64 when I was about 7.

As for what's out there today for kids hard to call really must be some form of basic knocking about. I'm not saying VB.NET as not sure that would really suit kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Microsoft have both Small BASIC and Kodu (which actually looks a little like LittleBigPlanet)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

RedXIV wrote: »
    try Scratch for something a bit kid friendly?
    +1 on Scratch, I helped to run a kids computer summer school and they loved that

Or if you can afford it, the Lego Mindstorm robots are great too. http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8547

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I would say the same as Casey, I was involved in a summer school and the lego mindstorms robots seemed to be a great success. However they can be quite pricey so you would want to be sure your child has enough interest, although from what you have said that definitely seems to be the case :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

the squeak eToys environment might be worth a look too
    http://www.squeakland.org/
    I only looked at it very briefly a couple of years ago but the bit I did see involved scripting a car to achieve certain results ... it reminded me of logo with its turtle (though it is actually created from smalltalk).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

http://www.squeak.org/

It's a smalltalk implementation, it will give them a good introduction to solid object oriented methodologies, whilst still being fun. Warning, exposure to smalltalk can turn you into a language snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks guys, great suggestions, apps downloaded, should keep us busy for the next year :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement