Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overdraft into Loan?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I am just curious what are the possibilities as a member of Ulster Bank to change my Overdraft of 600 to a loan of 1,000? I have some existing debts needed to pay off and this would be so much handier, I'm starting to get a bit bogged down with it all so any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Banks would not be inclined to do this as they ewarn more interest off the overdraft, but you may be able to get a credit union loan and pay into the overdraft removing the high interest rate for a lower interest rate credit union loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You basically need to get a loan to clear your overdraft. If you are constantly going into your overdraft your bank may see it better you have a loan and clear the overdraft as it makes better financial sense.

Have a chat with you bank and see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

It's a student overdraft, no interest till September and I get paid in and only take out my allowed amount weekly (if so), it's more to just pay off my 600 to them and 400 I owe for other debts. It's worth a shot anyway, I just wanted to ask on here just so I wouldn't go in making a fool of myself tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Resi12 wrote: »
    It's a student overdraft, no interest till September and I get paid in and only take out my allowed amount weekly (if so), it's more to just pay off my 600 to them and 400 I owe for other debts. It's worth a shot anyway, I just wanted to ask on here just so I wouldn't go in making a fool of myself tomorrow.

only fool is the one who doesnt ask as they will not recieve.

It sounds a resonable enough thing to ask. Basically you will be applying for a loan to clear your debts. They will assess your ability to repay and that will be the main consideration and will have a look at your credit record.

You may be best not clear your o/d with the loan as the loan will be charging interest and your o/d is interest free.

I take it you are with UB and have the €650 student overdraft.

Advertisement