Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Door - Costs

Options
  • 20-06-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there,

We have a land-locked room in our house (a bungalow) we currently use for storage/home office. We have a new baby on the way and I think a better use of this room would be a nursery.

With this in mind, I'd like to close off the current door (which opens to the living room) and put in a new door (through a solid wall) which opens up into the hallway into our bedroom.

This doesn't seem like a big job to me but how much (ball-park) would we need to budget including all the ancillary replastering, painting,etc?

An idea I had was just to put a simple stud/partition in the old doorway in case we ever wanted to switch back (or new owners down the line would want to do so).

Many thanks!

PYAT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Where do you live

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If there is no window in the room then it cannot be used as a habitable space. Fire Safety regulations would prevent it from ever been considered any room other than a store room/bathroom/ etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pyat2010

Thanks for the quick replies

#1 We're in Dublin.

#2 Understood that we could not refer to the room as a bedroom (or similar) when we come to sell the house in due course (hence we would probably revert it to a store room/home office). However, would we actually be prevented from using the room as a nursery? It does have a skylight and ventilation.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not sure about legally. Its against regulations but no one would know, so no one would stop you.

However I would seriously ask you to consider what would happen in the event of a fire. Would you be willing to risk the life of your child in a room not deemed fit for living in? Fire safety regulations all too regularly get ignored and I know I couldn't live knowing that I could have done anything to prevent a potential disaster.

Advertisement