Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points Race 2011

• 20-06-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭

Having read many of the posts relating to the aftermath of the exams it would appear that with the exams appearing to be easier (except maths paper 1 HL) this year than past papers, will this mean that points could go on the rise this year?

I say this because having compared many of my papers to past papers they have been easier in general.

Hmm...:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Where did you get the idea that the exams are getting easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

If anything I thought most exams were a little harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

These easy exams are news to me. As far I've done, bear in mind I have 3 left, my past 8 have been average, if not more difficult in a few cases, in comparison to other years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I'm gonna win, my points are way fast. ;)

But seriously, apart from geography (which very nearly gave me nightmares), every paper has been far easier than the pastpapers in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I dunno... The exams don't really seem to be getting "harder" as such (With the obvious exception of Maths). They just seem to be changing the style of the questions being asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

Business was the only one I thought was easier... French / English /Maths OL I felt were the usual difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Where did you get the idea that the exams are getting easier?

I just got that feeling looking at the papers compared to other past papers

Irish HL:
    Paper 1 was quite simple really except no aiste on the economy or drugs.

Paper 2 was much easier than previous years with the poets, the stair and the An Triail question being very simple and straightforward

English HL:
    Paper 1 was simple enough with the essay titles and got a good general reaction afterwards.

Paper 2 The poets that came up were mostly predicted except Wordsworth and the Hamlet question was very simple too. CC was predicted and came up too.

Maths OL:
    Paper 1 was tougher than some years But Paper 2 was fairly simple enough and q11 was great.

French
    A very simple aural compared to other years and the reading comphrehensions were fine too. The selection for the written was great too.

Geography
    Firstly two biome questions came up and the short questions were very simple
    The rest was fairly standard except the regional question.

Business
    Was a great paper with an excellent ABQ and short questions too
    Longer questions were good too except time was an issue, break even was great too.

Economics
    Still waiting on that until wednesday!

I have based all this having done the exams myself and from reading peoples reactions to them after.

I heard Biology and Physics were both overall simple enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

English - About the same. I found it easy because everything I studied came up, but I'd say it was pretty average to other years

Irish(o) - Easy! Then again it's pass Irish : 3

French - About average. I found the aural quite hard but the written was easier.

Maths - : / Hell no. That was about 20% harder than other years.

Biology - Average! Didn't thoroughly examine the exam papers, but it seemed standard enough without the strange section Bs.

Physics - Slightly harder than usual. Possibly because of the new log books.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

It will make very little difference at all to the 'points race' if this year's exams were, as you perceive them to be, easier.

We've heard so much about the 'bell curve' in relation to Maths I, but it does seem to be adhered to by the SEC.

Take last year's Maths paper, which was apparently easier than usual. According to one of my teachers, who is high up in the examining commission, when they corrected the first sample of papers, about three or four times as many people as usual were getting A grades. Thus, the marking scheme was revised and (from what I'm aware, I could be wrong), last year's results loosely fitted into that 'bell curve' model.

Regardless of the relative difficulty of a year's exams, it should not affect the average level of points.

It's my understanding that the only thing which has an impact on the fluctuation of a course's points from year to year is a rise/fall in demand for that course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I don't think they were easier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Every year people are gonna' say that some exams are easier and some are harder, thats always the way. For example Maths paper 1 was very tough and paper two was on par with other years IMO whereas I thought that Physics today was very managable, slightly easier than other years.

Basically every year your going to have some easier and some harder papers, IMO they all balance each other out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

History this year was easier, it helped the student adverse to spurting out A1 essays that were learned off.

Business was easier, as was pass French. I thought pass Maths was easier in a sense too, appealed to logical thinking in say Arithmetic and Trig questions specifically.

Music and Economics still to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I dunno, I don't think they're easier tbh! I wouldn't think about it too much either, you'll freak yourself out, and freak others out with threads like this.

Just finish the exams, enjoy your summer, and take whatever's coming. I highly doubt there'll be much change in the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Agree with majority- some exams are harder and some are easier.

I found biology, geography and maths to be difficult this year, whereas english and business were VERY easily. I hope the marking schemes for those subjects are not gonna be too tough :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

My whole LC experience has been scarred with the whole HL Maths PI thing.

Also:
    Physics Section B [Today] was tough going.
    Also Biology didn't have regular Part C topics.

I found everything else pretty fair. (Still not enjoyable) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I think overall the exams have been marginally easier than previous years but again I think this "bell curve" thing they do will even things out.

I did Maths (O), English, Irish, French, Geography, Biology, Home Economics (all H).

I think that the exams in general catered more for the student who doesn't rote learn essays etc, but really tries to understand the concept.

Geography and Biology were two examples where you couldn't just have essays/definitions learned, plonked them down and get your A1 as it has been in previous years. You needed to have a broader understanding of the whole course. English paper 1 essay titles also would have been sticky enough trying to fit in a learned off essay into section 2.

As I said previously, the results have to be consistent and they can't randomly have 40% getting A's/D's or whatever the case may be. Yes the A/D grades will fluctuate slightly but not drastically.

When I read the title of this post I immediately thought "rás na bpointí" in a real West of Ireland Irish accent for some strange reason... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I don't think they've been easier. Maybe a repeat could tell me otherwise, but stuff clicked together in my head as I sat down. If you had asked me yesterday some of the stuff I answered in Physics today, I don't think I could have answered. It's like I'm information vomiting since it's the last time I'll ever need most of this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Aoifums wrote: »
    I don't think they've been easier. Maybe a repeat could tell me otherwise, but stuff clicked together in my head as I sat down. If you had asked me yesterday some of the stuff I answered in Physics today, I don't think I could have answered. It's like I'm information vomiting since it's the last time I'll ever need most of this again.

It's so true. Like it's amazing how it all comes to you when you need it! I didn't do much study for the mocks or for this (though I obviously did do some work for this) but I felt more confident coming out of these than I did in the Mocks!

It remind me of my life flashing before my eyes (not that that's ever happened :P). I'm stressed so all my knowledge of Biology comes rushing back to me in order to save my life :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I really think most exams this year have been pretty well thought-out and of good quality. They're really starting to move away from the regurgitate-culture the LC got a bad name for.

Out of the exams I've done so far (only one more left!), only HL German was uncharacteristically easy (I thought), however that will be surely compensated with a harsh marking scheme. Biology, physics, maths and English all were challenging but fair papers (well, that's my opinion on maths).

OL Irish was quite easy, but it was as easy as it has been all along tbh.

• Advertisement

Aoifums wrote: »

This is so true! There's such a difference between practising past papers and doing the real thing. There's more at stake, and if you've done any work at all, a lot will come back to you, which is probably what's leading people to thinking this years exams were easier. In the real thing, you have adrenalin, and a different mindset...it can be misleading in terms of thinking your own exams were easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

I really don't think they're getting easier... I feel like I haven't been doing that great in most of my exams because the questions asked have been so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

i see no point to this thread. all it is doing is making you play the same thoughts about exams over and over in your head and it is just gonna stress you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CokeyBear

How "easy" or "hard" they are is irrelevant, they'll make a final marking scheme which will keep the number of grades roughly inline with previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

jumpguy wrote: »
    I really think most exams this year have been pretty well thought-out and of good quality. They're really starting to move away from the regurgitate-culture the LC got a bad name .

I agree completely, in fact, as an exam system I'd say that the LC, while flawed, has its merits. Perhaps this applies only to my choice of subjects, but I would say that the person entirely dependent on rote learning would find it very difficult to get a top grade in many of this year's papers.

The mass hysteria with the Maths paper demonstrated that the problem lies not with the curricula of the subjects, or the exam itself, but with the quality of teaching. The Maths paper seemed to me pretty fair, nothing there was entirely beyond the scope of our course and for there to have been such a degree of upset about it surely speaks of the fact that either teachers were not teaching concepts properly, or that students were not taking the time to understand it.

In the case of the latter, I think that this year's exams will surely attest to the fact that a proper understanding of the subject is far more important than an ability to recall facts.

I definitely wouldn't say that this year's exams (in my subjects at least!) were unusually easy, nor were they extremely difficult - they did however sometimes seem a bit 'odd', for lack of a better word, it seems as if there's been a certain movement away from case where a person could get an A1 simply by knowing the marking schemes of the past years by heart.

Now to go off Boards and try to start understanding some chemistry for tomorrow :P

jumpguy wrote: »
    I really think most exams this year have been pretty well thought-out and of good quality. They're really starting to move away from the regurgitate-culture the LC got a bad name for.

I'm just finding that hard because I was taught since third year specifically to answer exam style questions. I know I went to a grinds school this year, but this is an issue streching back to my old school too and no school that I know of has the time or the resources to teach us how to apply the course to real life situations. My old school finished the Biology course on the final day of term and they barely made it. God knows how they fared with the ecology question.

Even thinking of the books, they're written in preperation of the Leaving Cert. I like the application of real world to some subjects but I would have liked some prior warning.

I also think the mixing of topics that happened quite a lot this year is unfair. It's obvious that not everyone can handle the entire course. There will always be one or two topics that students just can't get their heads around. Which is understandabe, in my opinion. Mixing up topics can mix up the pieces someone is excellent at with the bits they are terrible at. I'm sure an A student would be fine, but that's just cruel to a slightly weaker student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

With they exception of HL Maths Paper 1. They're not becoming more difficult. They're becoming "different".

PJelly wrote: »
    With they exception of HL Maths Paper 1. They're not becoming more difficult. They're becoming "different".

Yeah they were definitely odd...bizarre even...which threw a lot of people because they weren't completely in line with previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

i see no point to this thread. all it is doing is making you play the same thoughts about exams over and over in your head and it is just gonna stress you out.
    CokeyBear wrote: »
    How "easy" or "hard" they are is irrelevant, they'll make a final marking scheme which will keep the number of grades roughly inline with previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Yeah they were definitely odd...bizarre even...which threw a lot of people because they weren't completely in line with previous years.
    I didn't see much "bizarre" about them.

And when did they ever promise that they would be completely in line with other years?

In fact, there have been hints for a few years that they wanted to gradually get away from the predictability which seemed to have overtaken certain papers, and the tendency of students to cut back courses to the barest of bare bones as a result. There has also been hints of a move towards questions which encourage students to actually think and apply their knowledge, rather than simply parrot off memorised reams from the books.

I've mentioned those hints in this forum on umpteen occasions.

In fact, we're seeing very little evidence *as yet* of this change in approach: I would expect to see a lot more of it in years to come.

Advertisement