Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points Race 2011

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I mentioned History.

It's common place for people to learn off A1 essays in History. That's why there was such an uproar over the paper this year. Unable to think on feet and adapt essays with other details accordingly. ;)
    Id be amazed if people were able to get A1s learning off essays :/
    You'd have to learn off so many to ensure you could answer all the questions and spending so much time learning off the essays would kill any ability for the subject you'd have. If it really was an issue then im glad they gave us wierd titles this year.
    No no no, they accept virtually any link to the question i find. The rock cycle is not a cycle without geomthermal processes. If this part of the cycle beneits humanity economically, and you've 14 other SRPs, you've 30 marks in the bag. (an don't be worried - i used belgium in place of india in a pre question, it was struck out, still got an A1....xD)

I really don't see why people can't transfer skills from English to other subjects.
    A 'History student' and an 'English student' are expected to develope different skill sets, sure - but 98 percent of the country does English so why don't they have these skills in a history test?
    (These skills, being thinking on your feet, adjusting what you know to suit the answer, outright taurosh1tting from time to time..etc.)
    Lots of people learn English essays too :/
    I really don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Me neither. Learn the points you made, saves 'inspiration time' in the exam, but not whole essays.

Nobody learns diary entries, letters, or comprehensions off though.... and you use those skills in these too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I go to a grind school and our Geography teacher is/was amazing. She made out notes on everything.. We "just" learned off the sample essays in the handouts (every single question you could be asked according to the syllabus) and learned how to identify what essay they were asking for in the question.
    Many people from her classes have gotten A1s this way..
    What they're asking for in a question never changes, all that changes is the way they ask it. So you can absolutely just learn off essays and get an A1, so long as the essay you've learned off is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

._. wrote: »
    What they're asking for in a question never changes, all that changes is the way they ask it. So you can absolutely just learn off essays and get an A1, so long as the essay you've learned off is good.
    For a fact-based subject like geography, one must stress. They give you marks for facts, and tend to group facts per question, so yes you can for geography. 14 facts (including stats, definitions and/or examples), identify what you will talk about at the start, and you have your thirty marks no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

AdamD wrote: »
    Id be amazed if people were able to get A1s learning off essays :/
    You'd have to learn off so many to ensure you could answer all the questions and spending so much time learning off the essays would kill any ability for the subject you'd have. If it really was an issue then im glad they gave us wierd titles this year.

Lots of people learn English essays too :/
    I really don't see the point.

On the point of the English essay...

I did a question that got me 79% , my teacher helped me with it up to a high 90. It was something i wrote, my own touch and i learned it off and got to use it in English paper 1. It's hard to get high marks in essays unless you have a nack for stories or just get a good title. So i would feel learning that Essay will help my English grade in a big way, especially if you were aiming for a high grade for an entry requirement.

I should stress, the story was the journey of a 6th year student and got to use it as a Modern Fairytale. I knew the bones and the structure it was the writing phrases, the nice alliterations, power of threes that my teacher threw into the story to push the mark up. So i was learning a lot of good phrases to put into my story which lacked that final push to a higher grade.

• Advertisement

As long as points for Science in UCD don't go up too high, I don't really care. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

._. wrote: »
    As long as points for Science in UCD don't go up too high, I don't really care. :)

Slightly off topic, but do you know if you can qualify as a Maths and Biology teacher after UCD science, obviously with the Hdip?

To anyone really, science in nuim, nuig, trinity... can you qualify as a maths and biology teacher from those? The teacher's council list of courses is vague when answering about Bachelor's of Science.

All help would be appreciated, back up for Science Ed, and the deadline as ye all know is July 1st!

Sound :D

Yeah but you have to do a conversion course thing after you have your BSc right?

Advertisement