Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish game news site

Options
  • 20-06-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I operate a gaming news site here in Ireland and I was wondering what you all think of it.

The site is SGGaminginfo, it is a small site but it is growing. We started in Feb 2010 and from there I have recruited 5 new staff members from UK and America.

My aim is to make it the premier Irish gaming news site. Apart from news we also do reviews and hope to have podcasts and interviews in the future.

This year we saw some cool things from the site which includes attending E3 this year in Los Angeles where we had interviews with some big companies and saw some of the big upcoming games for this and next year.

It would be cool to get support and even suggestions if you have any.

Thanks for reading and I hope you like the site.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Agh stupid work blocked your site, but best of luck mate. ill hop on when i get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What does SG stand for?

The site itself looks good, maybe just put in a single line separating news pieces as it can be hard to differentiate the top and bottom of posts quickly.

Also, why have all the international staff for an Irish only website?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Your site layout really isn't very appealling or eyecatching. A few images for each article wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 supremeaaron

RedXIV wrote: »
    What does SG stand for?

The site itself looks good, maybe just put in a single line separating news pieces as it can be hard to differentiate the top and bottom of posts quickly.

Also, why have all the international staff for an Irish only website?

The SG used to stand for what the site was originally which was a stargate game fansite but I changed it to all game news site.

While I have international staff at heart we are Irish mainly because I preform all the operations here in Ireland.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Your site layout really isn't very appealling or eyecatching. A few images for each article wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah the site layout can be a bit of a drag but since I have poor web design skills I had to go for a wordpress theme. Also images is good :). I just focus so much on writing I forget people like pictures with their words :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,682 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to say, my issue wouldn't be the site design, my issue would be the content. And to be honest, what I've read of a few articles is very poor.

Re: Duke Nukem
    Yes the humor is puerile, immature etc, but thats what I wanted as a fan. It made me smile and laugh out loud. The game play is standard, fun. The GFX and music are little dated, but thats not why I love this game. It’s just plain fun. It’s an icon of what should have been years back. I cannot get my head around the critics that have had a go at this game. Yes 5 different developments studios, to me it is a great game, lots of fun to play.

I love the quips that the Duke makes, the game-play (yes i am a PC gamer), not a console kiddie. The people that probably wrote the bad reviews of the game are more likely to be younger than me and not have a clue about the history of the game.

So, the game is fun, and any console kiddies (aka Paid Games Journalists) don't get it because they're younger?

Re: Modern Warfare 3
    Back in May 23rd Activision showed of the first in game trailer for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and of course controversy was not far behind because of May 26th British news show “Sky News” published an article on their website about how Mediawatch UK have criticized 1 particular scene in the in game trailer.

The scene that has raised concern is the scene in which a tube train is shot at and crashes. Director of Mediawatch UK Vivienne Pattison said:

“We have just seen the 7/7 inquests and how devastating the attacks were.”

“It does seem slightly cynical to put it in the game. It potentially shows a poor lapse in taste.”

If people do not know what 7/7 is it is the day a terrorist group detonated several bombs in the London underground and on a London bus.

Vivienne also said when talking to Sky News “I suspect this could be a storm created to sell more copies,” and she also urged parents to not by buy the game (MW3) for their children (kind of makes no sense since it will likely get a mature rating and really parents shouldn’t have to be urged not to by unsuitable content I would have thought that it would be obvious that Mature/18+ games would be unsuitable for children.

I'm sorry, but I would consider the writing standard to be very poor and would see no reason to check your site above any of the others.

I actually do wish you well with it, as I think it has potential. I apologise if I'm coming across as too direct, but it's just my honest opinion.

• Advertisement

Barrington wrote: »
    Have to say, my issue wouldn't be the site design, my issue would be the content. And to be honest, what I've read from a few articles is very poor.

Re: Duke Nukem

So, the game is fun, and any console kiddies (aka Paid Games Journalists) don't get it because they're younger?

Re: Modern Warfare 3

I'm sorry, but I would consider the writing standard to be very poor and would see no reason to check your site above any of the others.

I actually do wish you well with it, as I think it has potential. I apologise if I'm coming across as too direct, but it's just my honest opinion.

Strict is good.
    The writer of Duke Nukem one one that really enjoys DNF and I guess he lets it show.

I wrote the MW3 one. I will look my personal writing standard and see what I can do to improve it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

My advise would be possibly to have a few genuine Irish gamers as reviewers
    Before I start, I have to point out that I have never used a console in my life.
    Possibly some who have lots of experience with both PC and Console gaming (there are plenty even on this site), other then that all the best with it.

Viper_JB wrote: »
    My advise would be possibly to have a few genuine Irish gamers as reviewers

Possibly some who have lots of experience with both PC and Console gaming (there are plenty even on this site), other then that all the best with it.

True but trying to get people to work on a free (when they have time bases) can be difficult unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah you'll need writers that are a lot more objective. Sticking to one format will mean they have a very narrow view on games. You'll need people with a wide range of tastes and experiences.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah you'll need writers that are a lot more objective. Sticking to one format will mean they have a very narrow view on games. You'll need people with a wide range of tastes and experiences.

Indeed. At the moment I am personally opening up to more games. I think my trip to E3 opened me up to some games I wouldn't even take a look at like Disney Universe. But at the moment we only review games that we buy ourselves and so it makes increasing the range of taste more difficult as people prefer to play types of games they know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

Best of luck in it. Hope it all goes well for you. www.clickonline.com is one of the websites I know many of our users go to. Might be handy trying to get some tips from their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

Also, just to add to this as well, I know www.g4xonline.com is starting up soon and they are hosting video game tournaments for the Irish and European markets. I am doing BETA Testing for them, it may be worth your while touching base with them to see if you can get some kind of deal hammered out. I know they are launching on the 1st July 2011.

I can probably get you some contacts if you want.

Also, just to add to this as well, I know www.g4xonline.com is starting up soon and they are hosting video game tournaments for the Irish and European markets. I am doing BETA Testing for them, it may be worth your while touching base with them to see if you can get some kind of deal hammered out. I know they are launching on the 1st July 2011.

I can probably get you some contacts if you want.

The Click site looks good. As for g4xonline video game tournaments for Ireland or hopefully close to it would be cool, might have to keep my eye on it.

OSI wrote: »
    If you're interested I can take a look at the general design of the site for you. Wouldn't take a lot to make it far easier to read and more appealing to the masses.

If you want too. I use this theme by the way http://www.srssolutions.com/en/downloads/arjuna_wordpress_theme.

Things looks like they might go up. Bohemia Interactive the company who are famous for the ARMA series linked to my site after I awarded one of their upcoming games "game of the expo". Its kind of cool when a games company acknowledges a small site. Hopefully other companies may do the same. But I don't think it will be Activision soon. The gave me free food and I looked down on MW3 in return :p.

Advertisement