Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welger 220 pickup

• 20-06-2011 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

folks anyway know how to stop your pickup reel slipping if thats the right term , I notice with my baler if the reel meets any resistance like a tuft of uncut grass or rakes the ground it starts slipping making that grr grr grr noise till you lift it, ive been told there is a little device at one side of the reel that need to be adjusted but cant seem to find any info on it on the web, I suppose i should just take off the side covers and see but said i would ask first

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Take off the cover on the pickup on the left side I think, tighten the chain, but have you it too low? Those Welger tines won't last long at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Take off the cover on the pickup on the left side I think, tighten the chain, but have you it too low? Those Welger tines won't last long at that.

no deffo not too low, but literally if it meets anything its slipping

do you mean left side from standing behind baler?

do you mean left side from standing behind baler?

Yeah I think so, that chain fell off on me one day when I hit a bad bump:mad: easy fix tho.

Yeah I think so, that chain fell off on me one day when I hit a bad bump:mad: easy fix tho.

must open it up and see although the way it was described to me was that there was a little unit bolted on there that needed to be taken off for adjustment??
    yours a 220 as well?

• Advertisement

must open it up and see although the way it was described to me was that there was a little unit bolted on there that needed to be taken off for adjustment??
    yours a 220 as well?

Yeah a 220 profi, as I say, that chain fell off one day and put it again. Maybe there's more to it:confused:

Yeah a 220 profi, as I say, that chain fell off one day and put it again. Maybe there's more to it:confused:

jeff dont suppose you remember how the chain was lying? take a look at this pic, looks at the white plastic thing in the middle, looks to me like the chain should be underneath it as opposed to the way it is, i checked the other side and the chain is underneath the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

jeff dont suppose you remember how the chain was lying? take a look at this pic, looks at the white plastic thing in the middle, looks to me like the chain should be underneath it as opposed to the way it is, i checked the other side and the chain is underneath the plastic.

That white nylon piece in the photograph is the chain tensioner and should be below the chain as it is. If the opposite side isn't then that may be the reason the pickup reel is slipping. Switch it around on the opposite side and re-tension the chain. A bit of advice though is to drop the pickup to the down position when tensioning as the chain can snap if tensioned when up.

If that doesn't work then maybe there is a slip clutch on one of the sprockets, don't see one in the picture but haven't used a Welger in years and was only a 200 then. I'm sure they're pretty similar though. Is there a shear bolt on your pickup or is that too old school for a 220???

That white nylon piece in the photograph is the chain tensioner and should be below the chain as it is. If the opposite side isn't then that may be the reason the pickup reel is slipping. Switch it around on the opposite side and re-tension the chain. A bit of advice though is to drop the pickup to the down position when tensioning as the chain can snap if tensioned when up.

If that doesn't work then maybe there is a slip clutch on one of the sprockets, don't see one in the picture but haven't used a Welger in years and was only a 200 then. I'm sure they're pretty similar though. Is there a shear bolt on your pickup or is that too old school for a 220???

ya the other side is different but the other side is tensioned where as the side in the pictures the chain seems loose, not sure to be honest if its a shear bolt or not, havent broke it yet anyway if its a shear bolt ;)

Just loosen off the tensioner so and shove it up a bit to tension up the chain, just make sure to leave some slack or you'll wear the chain off it. Can be a bit awkward to hold the head of the bolt on the inside as far as I can remember so I used to take out the bolt and weld about 3 inches of haybob tooth to the head of it to stop it turning in the bracket. Very handy if caught in the field with a badly filled toolbox.
    Was asking if had a shear bolt because if do then that rules out a slip clutch slipping.
    You got the 220 long?

• Advertisement

Just loosen off the tensioner so and shove it up a bit to tension up the chain, just make sure to leave some slack or you'll wear the chain off it. Can be a bit awkward to hold the head of the bolt on the inside as far as I can remember so I used to take out the bolt and weld about 3 inches of haybob tooth to the head of it to stop it turning in the bracket. Very handy if caught in the field with a badly filled toolbox.
    Was asking if had a shear bolt because if do then that rules out a slip clutch slipping.
    You got the 220 long?

3rd season now, took a chance and bought in UK, if i had my time back again i might do it differently :rolleyes:

Well if haven't done for a shear bolt in that time then you probably don't have one. Why differently? You think it not worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

The RP12s has a slip clutch just behind the sproket on the pickup.

Take off the chain first and see if the reel spins reasonably freely. If it does, then pull off the slip clutch and get it looked at.

I am basing this on my old RP12s balers and 15 years of experience in using and rebuilding them, but I suspect the RP220 is similar, although it sounds like it might have drive from two sides, so makre sure that there is actually drive on both sides.

PS: The chain should be above the plastic tensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

maidhc wrote: »
    The RP12s has a slip clutch just behind the sproket on the pickup.

Take off the chain first and see if the reel spins reasonably freely. If it does, then pull off the slip clutch and get it looked at.

I am basing this on my old RP12s balers and 15 years of experience in using and rebuilding them, but I suspect the RP220 is similar, although it sounds like it might have drive from two sides, so makre sure that there is actually drive on both sides.

PS: The chain should be above the plastic tensioner.
    I checked out the slip clutch on my RP12 a few years ago. I took it apart to see if it was ok the springs and cams went flying every direction :eek: It took me the best part of a day to round them up again. If anyone here is taking the slip clutch apart put a plastic bag over it and it will prevent the problem.

3rd season now, took a chance and bought in UK, if i had my time back again i might do it differently :rolleyes:
    ah just took a chance and bought in Uk without knowing anything about it trying to save a few quid..i didnt work out that way of course :rolleyes:
    I should have just bought one form a dealer here that was right to begin with. that said she is going away now and makes a decent bale if you have a good swarth, i notice a slight jiggle on one of the rollers at one side when you use a pry bar so maybe have a bearing going there

I hope you can see these, ze manual:cool:

Why are you sorry for buying it, we're delighted with ours, better bale than the Fusion, fact:pac:
    Image0357.jpg
    Image0359.jpg

I hope you can see these, ze manual:cool:

Why are you sorry for buying it, we're delighted with ours, better bale than the Fusion, fact:pac:
    Image0357.jpg
    Image0359.jpg

thanks
    no not sorry i bought it as such but sorry i bought one that needed a share of work done before it was right, it makes much better bales than contractor used to make for me anyhow, i got big wheels for it and they made a big difference i found, there is some serious weight in them, towed behind jeep once..scary enough trip

thanks
    no not sorry i bought it as such but sorry i bought one that needed a share of work done before it was right, it makes much better bales than contractor used to make for me anyhow, i got big wheels for it and they made a big difference i found, there is some serious weight in them, towed behind jeep once..scary enough trip

We bought ours off the local dealer, made 200 odd bales and a bearing went and the chain moved and cut the ram for opening the door, we took it over and he striped it out, changed rollers, new bearings, chains for no charge. Been great since, the odd bearing but we're getting fast at changing them:cool:

We have the big wheels too, put more knives in last year too, all 23 in now, tractor knows it!

We bought ours off the local dealer, made 200 odd bales and a bearing went and the chain moved and cut the ram for opening the door, we took it over and he striped it out, changed rollers, new bearings, chains for no charge. Been great since, the odd bearing but we're getting fast at changing them:cool:

We have the big wheels too, put more knives in last year too, all 23 in now, tractor knows it!

only have a few knives in mine, dont bother much with chopping, i feed them thru a taarup chopper anyway, you are probably getting a good bit more into your bale though by chopping I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Haven't worked one of those balers before but it sound like its a slip cllutch problem rather than chain tension. You can get the slip clutch tightened up and it'll be less prone to slip but you want to be careful that you don't over-torque it or it mightn't protect the baler/tractor like it should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

folks anyway know how to stop your pickup reel slipping if thats the right term , I notice with my baler if the reel meets any resistance like a tuft of uncut grass or rakes the ground it starts slipping making that grr grr grr noise till you lift it, ive been told there is a little device at one side of the reel that need to be adjusted but cant seem to find any info on it on the web, I suppose i should just take off the side covers and see but said i would ask first

turf get out of the bog then:D

Advertisement