Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass panels for oak shaker doors

• 20-06-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm looking to get some doors installed and of course I'm doing the work myself, hence my post here. I've already put in a couple oak shaker doors myself without too may issues and now I want to do a couple of doors with glass panels. I guess I have two questions:

First, can I put the glass in myself? - assume a moderate level of DIY ability.

Second, roughly how much should the glass itself cost? I'm just waiting on prices back from a few places (why can no-one give me a price on the phone :/) but I'd like a heads up as to what constitutes a reasonable expectation.

The doors are standard 1 panel Oak Shaker 32*80 - heres a random image search result. I don't know the exact size of the glass required as my supplier has to ring me back with the measurements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's not hard to fit glass, it's basically just a matter of removing the bead moulding, inserting the glass, and refitting the bead. The bead is usually just tacked on with panel pins. The trick is in the hammering technique... lay the hammer flat against the glass (head, handle, the lot) and allow it slide it along the glass when lightly driving the nail. Never allow the hammer lift off the glass or tap against it, it's the impact shock that does the damage. A sheet of heavy cardboard might give extra protection. Sounds counter-intuitive 'cause you might think the idea is to keep the hammer away from glass but that's a sure fire way to break it.
    No idea on cost but I presume you'll be using safety glass so that'll be a bit more expensive.
    I suggest it might not be the best idea to test your novice glazing skills on this occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi runawaybishop

Glass differs considerably in type etc.I had 3 doors similiar to yours done few mths back. Glass for these doors are expensive. Take care in buying any old glass. Consider the following options ?

1. Safety - Make sure it's a toughened glass. just in case the door slams closed could break glass / consider children in the house if glass broke - sharp edges ?

You will only do this once so get it right first time. Any of the glass suppliers will guide you. Why glass can be expensive is because of the wastage offcuts etc.

When I found the glass I wanted I brought the doors to the glass co and they cut and fitted. That took the hassle out of it.

North West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. I will be using toughened safety glass as I believe I am required to due to the height of the glass - no harm with a young fellow running about anyway.

Advertisement