Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tickets for the Talls Ships Gigs

• 20-06-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Where or how do you get tickets for the Tall ships Gigs..the waterboys etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

They're all allocated to people now. Only way is local competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I gave a couple away the other day as I have to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Am I not right in thinking that there will be tickets being given out over the weekend? Otherwise, how would visitors to the city get tickets.

I think their original plan was that the online tickets were mainly targeted for visitors to get their hands on them and not locals. According to their Twitter page:
    All tix have been snatched up...WLR, Beat, The Star, Evening Herald and local press are running comps over this and next week

kensutz wrote: »
    I think their original plan was that the online tickets were mainly targeted for visitors to get their hands on them and not locals. According to their Twitter page:

That would be a serious fcuk up on the part of the organisers, wouldn't it? Imagine someone having travelled long distances, finding out that there are big gigs on, then hearing that there are no tickets available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

nkay1985 wrote: »
    That would be a serious fcuk up on the part of the organisers, wouldn't it? Imagine someone having travelled long distances, finding out that there are big gigs on, then hearing that there are no tickets available.
    Well we are talking about our beloved counsel who have been known to mess things up in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

It does seem like a bit of a f##k up alright. I got my tickets from both the website and then in red square. As did most of my friends and family.

But a lot of people just didn't realise or know there were some pretty big gigs been put on. Or maybe they just didn't have the interest until they heard people talking about them. Either way I've heard quite a lot of people saying "Oh I didn't know"etc. To be fair though it was all over local radio and newspapers, and places like here, if you were looking.

I guess its just the way it goes that local people are gonna get first preference on tickets. Anybody travelling from other parts of the country (unless they were very organised, and if they were taking time off of work, etc, then they probably are) will unfortunately miss out. Can't please everyone I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They will need to change their radio advert if there are no tickets for Brian Ferry etc available. It is misleading.

ratedR wrote: »
    It does seem like a bit of a f##k up alright. I got my tickets from both the website and then in red square. As did most of my friends and family.

But a lot of people just didn't realise or know there were some pretty big gigs been put on. Or maybe they just didn't have the interest until they heard people talking about them. Either way I've heard quite a lot of people saying "Oh I didn't know"etc. To be fair though it was all over local radio and newspapers, and places like here, if you were looking.

I guess its just the way it goes that local people are gonna get first preference on tickets. Anybody travelling from other parts of the country (unless they were very organised, and if they were taking time off of work, etc, then they probably are) will unfortunately miss out. Can't please everyone I guess.

But that is the problem really isn't it? Local people should have preference but not exclusive rights to them, which is what's happened in essence. I just think that if I decided to come to Waterford based on the tv advert where the three gigs are name-checked, then I'd feel a bit cheated when I found out it was ticket only and there were no more available!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

local chamber businesses got a load of them thrown out last week, seen some raffeling them on fb during the week...
    dont think the festival is geared towards gettin the locals in just about relieving them of any spare change they may have left in their pockets..

obviously people travelling down will have more change to relieve so they may be a priority,,
    i pity the poor woman that went down to wcc also last week asking for a pitch to sell her homade brown bread and was asked for 2grand for the privilage thought they would be jumping to have her seen they have only sold 6 pitches so far....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I'm assuming they have held back tickets to give out on the day for visitors to gain admission to the gigs?

I raised this very point ages ago in the last thread on the tall ships (how are visitors to the city supposed to even know about the pre-booking/get to red square to pick up tickets etc.) and from what I remember, some posters were saying that the tickets allocated online were a small portion of the overall tickets available, no?

If all tickets have indeed already been allocated, it will be a huge screwup indeed. I post on a few other forums and scanning through a few posts about the tall ships, there's a good few people planning on travelling down from elsewhere in Ireland, and I also personally know people coming from abroad specifically to attend the tall ships.

I would be severely pissed off if I had travelled a coupla thousand miles (or even 50 or 60) to find out I should have been listening to some local radio station months in advance to find out about the ticket allocation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Lets not loose the run of ourselves. The music will be a great addition to the event, but its not the be all and end all. I expect a lot of families will come down for the day, and go back in the evening, so they won't be around for the music.

I heard they have held back ticket for the day. I think the council should have charged a nominal booking fee, say €2 per ticket. I'm sure lots of people have tickets, but will end up not going on the night.

Reckon there was much ticket hoarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Folks,

There were a lot of people hoarding tickets when they were given out for family members that were planning on coming home that weekend. Not all of these will be used, and there will be a good bit of spare capacity on the day I reckon.

echosound wrote: »
    from what I remember, some posters were saying that the tickets allocated online were a small portion of the overall tickets available, no?

3000 tickets per gig were allocated online with the rest available to collect in John Roberts Square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Right does anyone have a spare ticket for brian ferry or The waterboys?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

kensutz wrote: »
    3000 tickets per gig were allocated online with the rest available to collect in John Roberts Square

So all tickets are "allocated" already, so to speak. Not ideal really, although I hope that they will let people in on the day if it's looking like some of the ticket holders/hoarders are a no-show. Seems kinda unfair for people who are coming to the festival and looking forward to the free gigs as part of the experience, but who wouldn't have been aware of the need to pre-book tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The TV ads still say 'free gigs' and show graphics showing Brian Ferry.

But of course there are no more tickets - so I think many people visiting the area on the promise of seeing him will be disappointed and be left with a bad impression of the city because of it.

And who is the burd voicing the TV ad? 'Come to Waterford', but with a D4 accent?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Just saw Brian Ferry tickets for sale (45 euro)on Done Deal.What a fcuking nerve.Gives her name and telephone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

She's sellin sharon shannon ones too... same number different name

bad form

Typhoon. wrote: »
    She's sellin sharon shannon ones too... same number different name

bad form

Well, I suppose you could ring her and tell her what you think.

I put the number into google. She was also organising Ann Summers parties under the name sonja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

molby wrote: »
    Just saw Brian Ferry tickets for sale (45 euro)on Done Deal.What a fcuking nerve.Gives her name and telephone number.

Thats not very nice,€45? I hope shes stuck with them.
    On a side note,does anyone know what time the ships leave the Quays on the Sunday please? As ive been told two compleatley different times:confused:

Thats not very nice,€45? I hope shes stuck with them.
    On a side note,does anyone know what time the ships leave the Quays on the Sunday please? As ive been told two compleatley different times:confused:

7am, but it takes a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Report the ad on Donedeal!

It's what I did :)

That's disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

molby wrote: »

Arrange to meet up with her and then blast her with piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Feck that, give the name and number and story to Billy McCarthy. He'll make a show of her in front of the 'aul wans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

dayshah wrote: »
    Well, I suppose you could ring her and tell her what you think.

I put the number into google. She was also organising Ann Summers parties under the name sonja

Why would I waste the price of a phone call??:)

Feck that, give the name and number and story to Billy McCarthy. He'll make a show of her in front of the 'aul wans.

It could make good radio to ring her up live on air. Say your interested in the tickets, and then call her a scabby bitch for trying to fleece people.

Somehow though I don't think Billy would be up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I've just reported this to done deal and have also emailed the Tall Ships office.

It seems, however, that some have already been sold. I dont know if they have broken any laws but their name and number have been reported so hopefully this might halt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I suppose we'll also see lowlifes selling tickets on the street before each gig :(

Advertisement