Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck/van hire for moving house

Options
  • 20-06-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

We would be moving to Cork and I am looking for a van/truck for moving the household.

I do not have much of furniture except for two small cabinets and one toy bench.
    Other than that it is more of clothes, kitchen stuff, shoes.

I would be packing it myself and am looking to hire a van. Now the issue is I am not too confident of driving it myself (since I have not driven any big vehicles)

Are there services available where I can rent a van and someone to drive it.

If so, any idea of the charges to go from Galway to Cork?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

When we moved last July we got a price of €120 to move Oranmore to Loughrea (20 minutes drive). That was from a sign I seen in the petrol station in Oranmore, think he was called "man with a van".

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pakks

Thanks for the response.
    Did he drive or did you guys had to drive yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

pm'd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

pakks wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.
    Did he drive or did you guys had to drive yourselves?

We didnt book him, was way too dear. We got lucky and were able to borrow a van from the boyfriends work. We probably have rented a van ourselves if we hadnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a medium van and drive yourself. It's not much different from driving a MPV.

One place here
    Another here

It might all fit in a small van? I got one from Enterprise for 50 last year.
    small_vans.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 pakks

Thank you Lizzy, biko for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

pakks wrote: »
    Now the issue is I am not too confident of driving it myself (since I have not driven any big vehicles)
    There's a first time for everything. I was in the same boat and rented a Ford Transit never having driven anything bigger than a Toyota Carina Estate previously. I was nervous too but you soon get the hang of it. This was in a different country in an old city with narrow streets. If instead you are on Irish roads and can avoid city centres it should be a doddle.
    biko wrote: »
    It might all fit in a small van? I got one from Enterprise for 50 last year.
    Enterprise are the business. I got a high roof Transit from them for a move last month for €60. It's a strange market we are in. Google turned up five van rental companies in Galway. Enterprise was the only one with online booking so I emailed the other four. Only one of them responded and quoted me twice as much as Enterprise. I didn't receive any response from the other three even though I know from driving past their premises since that they are still trading. The mustn't need the business I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd recommend Rescu-U on the Headford Road. Local business, and they keep their vans in very good condition. I've found their rates good, too.

Enterprise are also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamartin

Movemarket typed that in ,, post up what you want moving and let them give quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Fey! wrote: »
    I'd recommend Rescu-U on the Headford Road. Local business, and they keep their vans in very good condition. I've found their rates good, too.

Enterprise are also very good.
    Rescu-U is one of the companies that didn't even respond to my request for a quote last month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement